PDA

View Full Version : Best rear sight for hunting for a FA83

DanWalker
08-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Looking to put an adjustable rear sight on my 6"Freedom Arms revolver for hunting. What are your suggestions? I'm only going to do this ONCE, so I don't mind spending some coin for a quality piece of gear.

Sam Johnson
08-10-2013, 10:44 PM
I have had good results with the deep " V " rear and gold bead type on my hunting revolvers. These do not block your view of the target as much.
Sam

BRobertson
08-10-2013, 11:52 PM
I really like the Premier sight , and I have all mine modified by Ken at Magnaport.

He engraves a white outline around the notch, and along with the orange insert that he installs into the front blade, it makes for a very nice hunting sight combo!! Especially for relatively poor light conditions, which is our norm for Alaska during hunting season!!

Also, if you go with the V notch express sight, Ken will engrave a vertical white line below the "V".

It makes for a more precise, long range setup, according to John at Freedom Arms. He uses one on
his personal .475 hunting gun!!

Tatume
08-11-2013, 08:17 AM
When I ordered my M83 I specified the "express" sights, the vee with gold bead. I found it to be less satisfactory than the standard square notch and blade combination, and eventually ordered parts to convert to the usual sighting arrangement. While other people like them, for me the vee and bead sights were a waste of money.

mellonhead
08-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I like the Premier Grade rear. I tried the Express rear and found it good for about 20-25 yards. The Premier rear along with a Clements front is just about perfect in my book. I have that setup on all my Freedom Arms.

Toby

bobthenailer
08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
FA also makes a fiber optic front sight that may intrest you !
I have shot them all patradge , gold bead & fiber optic fronts with square rear notch & rear express.
Since i cant see iron sights clearly any more ive gone to aimpoint micros on 2 of my FA revolvers and another one with a 1.5x4 scope . Now i can shoot even better than i did with iron sights , when i was younger.
At one time for a few years i had a Pride/Fowler special ops sight , something like a Burris FF on my 6" gun and i was satisfied but i have now gone to a aimpoint micro after buying another new one under $400,00.

MGD
08-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Shoot tighter groups with black front and rear blade. Find the Freedom express sights superior in the field and on game. Pick one and try, worse case you try again.

pauly
08-14-2013, 02:27 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day Dan , I can help you out with an express set or a premier set if that is what you need .

Regards Paul . :smile:

DanWalker
08-14-2013, 09:34 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day Dan , I can help you out with an express set or a premier set if that is what you need .

Regards Paul . :smile:

Sounds like an interesting offer. I'd like to try the premier set. How much were you wanting for it? How much would it be to ship it to Wyoming?

Changeling
08-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Dan, you've helped me a lot over time and I have no doubt your revolver knowledge is a "Lot" better than mine !

Personally I like a "big square notch" on the rear, with a front (replaceable blade) sight that is adjusted to the load and bullet I am shooting! It sounds like that would "not" give you finite aiming but think about it, it works! This way you don't have to start shooting/realining the rear evertime you want to change bullet weights/styles/ whatever! Just slip in the appropriate new blade front!

I've made it sound very simple and it is, but sometimes you will still have to alter the rear adjustable sight, sometimes!

44Man brought this to my attention, to give credit where credit is due. He can probably make the blades for you also.
He's honest Great and knows what he's doing!!