PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Equipment Check

mamccarson84
08-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Alright guys so I have been lurking around this forum for awhile and have finally decided to get into reloading. First I want to make sure I have everything I need to get started so here is a copy of my cart at midway. Please reply if you think I will need anything else. Here is my complete list. I am planning to buy bullets, primers and powder from a local gun shop. BTW i will be reloading 9mm and 223.

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 223 Remington
Product #: 107333
Move Available $4.99
Update
Remove
$4.99
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool
Product #: 135615
Move Available $20.99
Update
Remove
$20.99
Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 223 Remington
Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 223 Remington
Product #: 776391
Move Available $33.99
Update
Remove
$33.99
Lyman Magnum Impact Bullet Puller
Lyman Magnum Impact Bullet Puller
Product #: 667064
Move Available $18.99
Update
Remove
$18.99
Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised" Reloading Manual
Sale
Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised" Reloading Manual
Product #: 639649
Move Available $13.99
Update
Remove
$13.99
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
Sale
Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit
Product #: 121744
Move Available $107.99
Update
Remove
$107.99
Lee 9mm 3 step die

Brass will also be purchased off this site. Thanks guys

44Vaquero
08-10-2013, 04:25 PM
You might be better served by purchasing a LEE Classic cast turret and 2 4hole turret holders rather then the Breach lock press. You can use the press just like a single stage or use the auto index. If you are set on going the kit route even though it's more money you might want to look at the Classic turret kit You will be happier in the long run.

As a general rule most around here do not like the press kits because they stick you with the much maligned Lee Scale! I am neither here nor there on this issue it works ok.

Good luck!

Jim

08-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Based on my experience:

Delete the Lee manual and get Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 49th edition. The Lee manual is nothing more than a compilation of the various powder manufacturers loads which are available on-line. Worst of all, at least in my opinion, Mr. Lee denigrates the equipment of the other reloading and casting manufacturers.

As mentioned, you will be better served by a cast iron press, rather than an aluminum one.

RCBS will replace a broken impact bullet puller. I wouldn't want to depend on Lyman to do likewise.

mamccarson84
08-10-2013, 05:16 PM
10-4 it seems the turret style is currently out of my budget although I may upgrade it later on in life.

dragon813gt
08-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Delete the Lee manual and get Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 49th edition. The Lee manual is nothing more than a compilation of the various powder manufacturers loads which are available on-line. Worst of all, at least in my opinion, Mr. Lee denigrates the equipment of the other reloading and casting manufacturers.

Most of the loads listed are not available online. They are from manuals over the years. So unless you have those manuals then you won't find the info. It's also nice to have it all in one book.

Richard Lee rightfully pushes his products in his book. All if them do it. He does not call any companies out in the book. I also find it to have the easiest to understand sections covering the basics. The Lyman manual does a so so job and the load information pales in comparison.

I could get into the false claims stated in the Lyman manual regarding how many times you can reload a case. But there are also false claims in the Lee book. I know members here seem to love the Lyman books. I find them to be the most worthless manuals I own. They are very rarely pulled off the shelf. Which is why everyone needs multiple manuals.

44Vaquero
08-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Ok guys, lets not get sidetracked! Lets stick with the Op's question.

Since you are opting to stay with the single stage you will need Loading blocks. They can be had as universals (they sort of fit everything) or caliber specific units such as Frankford Arsenal makes.

r1kk1
08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Based on my experience:

As mentioned, you will be better served by a cast iron press, rather than an aluminum one.

RCBS will replace a broken impact bullet puller. I wouldn't want to depend on Lyman to do likewise.

I agree. I hope Lyman's customer service is improving but I noticed on their website their warranty is one year - worse than Lee's. The most useful thing about the Lee's book is the section on reducing slow powders for cast loads. The rest of the book I really have no use for. The newest Lyman cast bullet book covers loads for some Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and I believe SAECO molds. There are some cast bullet handbooks from a limited amount of cast bullet guys. Beartooth comes to mind. I believe RCBS had one but it probably is not around any more.

The one powder company that has furnished more data for cast or jacketed bullets is Western powders. I used them two or three decades ago and told them what components I was using and they furnished data. The first cartridge that came to mind was the 44 magnum using a 300+ grain cast bullet before it came into vogue. I believe John Loubster is still working as chief ballistician for Western Powders.

Someone pointed out to me that Herters did quite of bit of self promoting hype in his time that would make Richard blush.

Take care

r1kk1

1Shirt
08-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Looks to me like you have more money than I had when I started out loading for 222 with a used 310 tool, for my 2nd hand 340 Savage.
Good luck!
1Shirt!

kenyerian
08-10-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/122368/frankford-arsenal-universal-reloading-tray-50-round-plastic-blue. You will need a loading tray for sure. You could probably get by without a bullet puller for a while. Just take the die out of the press. run the boolit up grab with a set of channel locks and run it back down.
When I'm setting up the dies I find that having a good set of calipers to measure for OAL are very helpfull http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=12793. Plus you will need molds to make some good boolits.

MOcaster
08-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I agree you need loading blocks. You probably won't have to buy any, though. You know those little plastic/foam trays that your factory rounds came in? They work great. I use 40 S&W trays for all my reloading of 40 S&W, 270, 223, 308, and 9mm when I get around to actually starting. I can't use them for 303 British because the rim is too big but they work great for every other caliber.

DoesItGoBang
08-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Mamccarson84,
I just started down this same path earlier this year. Wanting something portable the Lee hand press kit was on my shopping list. The other tools I pieced together as things evolved. Some of the thing that may help:
Additional bushings to keep from constantly chasing die settings. Lee makes two styleshttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/971565/lee-breech-lock-quick-change-bushings-package-of-2 and http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219749/lee-breech-lock-quick-change-bushings-with-die-lock-ring-eliminator-package-of-2
A loading tray to keep brass from rolling around http://www.midwayusa.com/product/767946/hornady-universal-reloading-tray-50-round-plastic-red?cm_vc=subv1576361
Digital calipers - crimp setting, bullet seating depth/Cartridge Overall length (COL) and checking case length [impossible to check die setup with out some measurement tools (around $30 from multiple suppliers)
Lemi shine and dish soap to get black soot off from cases (search site to see how to use)

Have fun and keep it safe
DoesItGoBang

mamccarson84
08-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Thank you all for your help. Went to a local gun show and picked up my first set of primers and powder for a run of 9mm an 223. Midway order should be here sometime next week then I have to mount it out of the way of the GF! Feeling like a kid in a candy store right now

mamccarson84
08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Quick question guys. Since im running a 3 die set for the 223 and a 3 die set for the 9mm do I need 6 quick change bushings?

mamccarson84
08-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I just answered my own question on that.

44Vaquero
08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
78934Next, you need to build yourself a tumbler! About $33.00 and 2 hours to build.

mamccarson84
08-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Thats not a bad deal...ive been using a rock tumbler to clean my old 308 brass and its been doing an awesome job so far.

dudel
08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
If you're tight on cash, I skip the quick change bushing. Personally, I don't find much value in them. May more with the Lee (or Dillon) lock nuts that don't have locking screws; but with Hornady, RCBS, Lyman and Forester (and others), you can lock the lock nut to the die. At that point it a question of 1/3 turn or several turns to get the die in the proper position. They save some time; but it's small compared to the reloading session. They also lock you in to one vendor. The purpose of the standard die size is to allow you to choose different equipment. Once you have a bunch of Lee Quick Change bushing, it's a bit more difficult to justify moving to a Dillon, Hornady or other press.

mamccarson84
08-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I got a few of them to try them out. My huge order of 378 was shipped this morning. My final list of things is this

9mm dies
223 dies
2 bullet blocks
bullet puller
reloading book
Tumbling media
223 case trimmer
Case prep multi tool
500 9mm projectiles
250 223 projectiles
RCBS Case lube kit with pad
Lee challenger breech lock package

I do plan on getting some electronic calipers from somewhere around my location.

Thanks for all the help guys. I probably will be back asking questions as soon as this stuff comes in!

jakharath
08-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I second the Lyman Manual. RCBS's warranty is excellent. Lyman's not so much.

dudel
08-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Harbor Freight has digital calibers for a decent price. They are often on sale. I've had no problem with mine, although a dial one is a good backup when to battery goes out.

Firebricker
08-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Like .44 V said you will definitely want a tumbler after a couple loadings your brass gets pretty dirty. I use walnut it gets them good and clean but if you want real shiny you can also use corn cob and there are additives as well. I also agree with the Lyman manual over the Lee for your first one. I have the Lee and like it but if I only had one it would probably be the Lyman. And you will accumulate manuals as time goes on I've had a couple give to me picked them up used at gun shows and yard sales.

With your .223 dies if you don't have the Lee factory crimp die you might want to get one when you can. I use a different brand of dies with .223 but still crimp with the Lee FCD it's a good product IMO. Another good source for calipers and micrometers is flea bay their reloading equipment goes for ridiculous prices but you can find decent prices on machinist equipment a lot of times.

Are you going to prime on the press ? If not any of the hand primers will do a good job. The only other thing you may need is a primer pocket swager or reamer if you get military brass with primers crimped in place. Looks like your off to a good start. FB

starmac
08-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Did I overlook a scales and weights, powder measure????

Lights
08-18-2013, 02:44 AM
10-4 it seems the turret style is currently out of my budget although I may upgrade it later on in life.

I have the diecast version of the classic 4 hole press. Mostly for 9mm and .45acp but I have loaded .223 on it in single stage mode. Here is a link to it at Midway for $80.99. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/880135/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index?cm_vc=subv1814175

clownbear69
08-18-2013, 04:51 AM
In the lines of Books many people here are Spot on with the Lyman 49th over the Lee (I have both) The only benefit to the Lee book is if you use the Lee Dippers it has the info right there which one to use (still weigh them)

But after looking over your list where did you get your items at. They seemed slightly high (even for Lee). I wish I would've this thread before to give my .02 before you bought. I would've suggest this from optics planet http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit-9361.html if I remember correctly RCBS still has their 50 dollar mail in rebate which would bring you it affordable. I have always believed in buy once cry once. Yet there was also http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-partner-press-reloading-kit-87467.html but you would've needed to buy about 100 bucks more to use that 50 mail in rebate. And either one like most stuff from optics planet (do not work for or associated except being a faithful customer) is free shipping.

So look at it and see if you like it because I know I feel awesome and secured reloading with a rock chucker. If you like return some of your stuff and buy

Also how are you priming you brass, if the lee kit has their improved hand primer you will need separate shell holders for it (the shell holder for that are flat bases)

That's my .02

EDIT: as for the rock chucker supreme kit it has everything you'd need except a case trimmer and a tumbler

dromia
08-18-2013, 06:02 AM
As Starmac has said you will most certainly need a good set of balance beam scales and chack weighs, they are not optional as they are your safety tools to help verify your powder loadings. A trickler would be useful along with the scales, if funds allow then a good powder dispenser speeds things up some.