PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Epiphany From A Beginners Point Of View...

Foto Joe
08-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Yesterday morning while getting my "Honey Do's" finished up I flipped the switch on my lead pot and stuck some COWW ingots in to let her warm up. Once things got melted I fluxed (paraffin) then stuck my dipper in the pot and set my Lee 214SWC mold across the top to warm up. Since I've been using the same temp setting on the pot for quite a while with good success I didn't put the thermometer into the pot. The setting I use typically will start out at about 700 and then cool off to 650+/- a little while I'm casting which seems to work pretty good. But yesterday I got side tracked with another Honey Do and delayed about twenty minutes getting back to the shop. When I gloved up and grabbed the mold I noticed that there was an unusual bluish tint on the top of the melt which pretty much told me things were a bit warmer than usual so I stuck the thermometer in to have a look see, almost 800 degrees, YIKES!!

On the plus side the mold was warmed up nicely and my second cast gave me purty boolits, the downside was that only lasted for about three casts and things got strange, fins on both top and sides. Obviously the temp was way too hot so I turned it down and started dropping the sprues and boolits into the pie tin I keep in front of the pot, once they cool a bit I dropped them back into the pot to cool it off and of course things started getting much better once the temp dropped to between 700 and 750 degrees but here's where the epiphany comes in....

I decided to let the pot keep cooling off and see what happened. As the temp dropped below 650 thing were still going along fine, at 615 degrees I was able to actually pick up the pace of my casting instead of having to wait for things to cool off before nipping the sprues and the boolits were dropping very nicely, some of the best I've cast in my short, short career casting boolits. When the temp hit 600 degrees it was like a light switch got flipped though, I started getting poor fill-out every other cast and after a half dozen to make sure that it wasn't my own ineptness causing the poor fill-out I popped the temp back up a touch. Once it hit 610 degrees all was well again so I finished out between 610 and 625 degrees.

For those of you who have been casting since well into the last century this might seem like a very elementary observation but it's one of those things that I thought might just help somebody who is newer to the craft. Granted this was using a Lee aluminum mold and an iron mold would more than likely not appreciate such a low casting temp, also I'm quite sure that each thermometer has it's own unique calibration and I don't expect that my Lyman one is the most accurate so somebody else's mileage may vary.

Mk42gunner
08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Sometimes it is a temperature sweet spot with the alloy, instead of the molds. When I was using my Lee 4-20 with WW, all the molds I was using at the time seemed to work at one setting; so I just left the dial were the alloy flowed well and unplugged the pot when I was done for the day.

When everything goes right, it seemed like I could fill the mold, cut the sprue with a gloved hand and dump it back in the pot, then open the mold and give it a shake so the new boolits would fall onto the catch cloth. It doesn't take very long to make a pile of good boolits that way.

Robert

41 mag fan
08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
I had some rotometals super hard, and used it for some 45's. My temp back then was 675*. Now switching to range lead and some tin and antimony added, I now have to cast at 700-715*.

Old Caster
08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Over an extended period of use, a Lee melting pot will no longer keep the same temperature that it used to even eventually needing a new thermostat because it won't get hot enough. None are the same either which is why you can't tell someone else to use the same position on the dial. The alloy will make a difference as to what temperature casts the best also.

Foto Joe
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm quite confident that it's a "sweet spot" for the particular alloy I'm using no doubt. The pot I use is a Lyman Big Dipper and I'm sure that with enough use I'll eventually kill the thermostat or the heating element. Again, with this particular COWW alloy when I cast at the 700+ temps it doesn't take too long before the mold gets up to a temperature that takes longer for things to solidify adequately so I can cut the sprue and not get a smear. Although the only molds I currently have are Lee I'll eventually start upgrading to better molds. Since I was just getting started in casting I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on molds to learn on and mess them up. I will say that although a lot of folks don't have much nice to say about anything Lee Precision sells, I'm pretty impressed with their molds for the price. I did learn the hard way that you need to at least take the edge off of the sprue plate with some emery cloth though. My first mold which was a Lee 452-228 isn't pretty simply because that rough stamped out sprue plate galled the top of the blocks. I still cast with it and it drops nice boolits but at least cosmetically it ain't purty anymore. I know that the general consensus is that all Lee molds need Lee-Menting but so far the four or five that I've got all I've had to do was make sure that sprue plate edge was smoothed off.

At the risk of drifting my own thread, how often during casting if at all do you need to lubricate the sprue plate? I have a tendency to lube during a 200+ session two or three times using synthetic 2-stroke oil and a q-tip, usually after the sprue is cut but before I drop the boolits. Am I over doing it?

shredder
08-11-2013, 09:21 AM
I am in your boat. I just got a thermometer a few months ago after casting a few years without, and began to actually put a few things together! I was surprised at the variations in temperature during a casting session and, like you, I learned quite a lot in a hurry! Your mold will tell you what it likes, and surely the alloy has its preferences as well. Just because others have been there long before me does not mean I will learn entirely from them! Sometimes the best way is to see and do for yourself and have your own "A-HA" moment.

I find that the more I know about casting, the more I realize that there is much, much, more going on than I ever realized. This is a hobby that you can get as deep into as you want. Keep up the good work.

08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
I should take this advice. Have a notepad close the the pot so you can write down your observations as soon as you take a break.

Cherokee
08-11-2013, 07:18 PM
I should take this advice. Have a notepad close the the pot so you can write down your observations as soon as you take a break.

And then remember to refer to those notes in the future. Saves re-learning the same lesson.

captaint
08-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I do take some notes on molds. Anymore, I also take a Sharpie and at the end of the session I just write the best casting temp for that mold on top of the sprue plate. Then, when I use that mold again, bingo, I know right where to go. Mike