PDA

View Full Version : My First Free Bucket Of Lead

jonp
08-09-2013, 06:36 PM
I stopped by the tire shop and got my first free bucket of lead.

I set my trusty doggie BLOODFANG KAISER to guard it. Ok, her name is Ralph but she looks mean.

Simple question. I appear to have about a 50/50 split zinc to lead which is not bad. The lead ww seem to have a P stamped on them but is there an easy way to separate them. I can do a ping vs clunk test but anyone else have an idea?

Thanks.

jcameron996
08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
The best way to do it is to use a thermometer and keep your temp below the melting point of the zinc weights. The zinc and the steel will float to be skimmed off with the clips. The other way is to check each one with a pair of side cutters. The steel are easily identified by sight. You will be able to easily mark the lead weights with the side cutters, the zinc not so much.

rexherring
08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
The best way to do it is to use a thermometer and keep your temp below the melting point of the zinc weights. The zinc and the steel will float to be skimmed off with the clips. The other way is to check each one with a pair of side cutters. The steel are easily identified by sight. You will be able to easily mark the lead weights with the side cutters, the zinc not so much.

Yup, that's the way I do it too. Never had a problem with melting the zinc just watch the temp.

Three44s
08-09-2013, 06:51 PM
That dog looks serious enough to do the job!

When you are done segregating out the lead weights ...... place the zinc ones out in the driveway with the dog guarding them ...... some fool will try to make off with them and the dog will get some practice guarding the next gold ........ err ....... I mean lead shipment!!!

Three 44s

sigraph
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Sidecutters and looking at the labeling - if the letters or writing is raised it's probably lead. If the letters have been stamped "into" the weight - not lead. And - don't go by the paint, most lead wheel weights have the silver looking paint on them.

olafhardt
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
A drop of acid really fizzes on zinc, this includes digestive acids. So if you feed them to the dog she might leave them in little piles in the yard. Just kidding, dont do it!!! That beautiful dog looks to smart to eat wheel weights any way .

jonp
08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
My Valley Bulldog is a sweetie and is smarter than she looks. Just like me I guess! But step into the house and she is very territorial. and growls pretty mean. lol. Once you throw her a Ham Bone and watch her crunch it in half your a little nicer to her. :)
Right after we bought the house she showed up, rolled over so we could scratch her stomach and 5yrs later she is still here.
Ok, I'll go and get some acid? Muriatic I guess.
I have checked the site and it's kinda hard to find an actual lead vs zinc test in bold letters sitting there. Some is stamped P and some with a z on the end which is pretty easy but some of it has no stampings.
So I melt them out at below the melting point of zinc and just pull out the zinc and the clips and call it a day. Pour the lead into ingots. I have an old cast iron muffin pan in the shape of miniature corn cobs so I will use that for the lead.
I also found a few iron ones in there.

Jailer
08-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I sit on a short stool in the garage and sort from one bucket to another. If I have a suspect one I reach down and give it a quick swipe across the concrete floor. Lead will will have a dull sound and feel and will scrape away a bit leaving a shiny mark, zinc and steel will not and will feel and sound like scraping a stone across the floor. Try a few and you'll quickly get a feel for it. I find this much faster than any other method I've tried.

jonp
08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I sit on a short stool in the garage and sort from one bucket to another. If I have a suspect one I reach down and give it a quick swipe across the concrete floor. Lead will will have a dull sound and feel and will scrape away a bit leaving a shiny mark, zinc and steel will not and will feel and sound like scraping a stone across the floor. Try a few and you'll quickly get a feel for it. I find this much faster than any other method I've tried.
I was tapping them on the concrete floor of the porch and I know what you mean about the sound. The smaller ones are harder to figure out. I will try smearing them.
Thanks.

runfiverun
08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
jailer and I do it the same way.
I scrape them on cement, the lead will grab the others just swipe over the top.
you quickly learn to tell them apart visually too.

lightman
08-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Thats a good score! Congrats! There is a sticky in the lead and lead alloy thread about sorting wheelweights that is very informative. It was a big help to me. I just learned something, never thought about the letters being raised or stamped. Lightman

shadygrady
08-10-2013, 11:15 AM
got zinc send it to me