PDA

View Full Version : Chokecherries

reloader28
08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Anybody else been getting any chokecherries?

We were building fence for a guy and he had a bunch of chokecherries on it. Since we were almost out of jelly and syrup, we asked and he said go ahead. But, he said to come to his house and get them before the grizzlies move in.
WOW. His yard is LOADED. I mean LOADED.
We're going camping this weekend so we'll have to go back Monday and get somemore. Hopefully they're not to ripe. So far we have 45lbs. Going to make jelly and syrup and try some jalapeno/chokecherry jelly. If I get enough I'm going to try to do some chokecherry wine for the first time. A couple friends have AWESOME recipies for it.

The man even has lottsa plum bushes and thousands of concord grapes. He said he'd give us a call when they are ready in about a month.
:happy dance::2_high5::drinks:

bikerbeans
08-09-2013, 11:29 AM
In Baxter St. Park (ME) a black bear caught me in "his" blueberry patch one morning. Lucky for me he was more interested in eating blueberries than a redneck! Sounds like you made a good friend and I hope you get the c-cherries before the griz find them.

BB

WRideout
08-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Yesterday I harvested a couple of pounds of elder berries. I make wine from every kind of wild fruit, including the local black cherries. I find it is great blended into other reds. I work in Pittsburgh where, oddly enough, all the empty lots are filled with wild grapes. I'm waiting for them to get completely ripe, but the birds seem to get there first.
Wayne

LocoFixersbetterhalf
08-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I think we got about that much Choke Cherries this year. Locofixer and I jucied them we will be canning and making wine this winter when it's not so hot outside.

reloader28
08-17-2013, 10:56 AM
We juiced the first 45lbs for jelly and syrup. Is very good.
Instead of camping we picked another 45lbs for wine. All destemmed and in the freezer until we get the rest of the ingredients.
It should give us around 10 gallons of wine.

FrankG
08-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Eldeberries, wild plums and chokecherries arent ready here yet . Usually mid September , then Im busy loading up ! For some reason the Huckleberries havent done much of anything for several years . Bushes were chest high and berries as big as your thumb for several years. Then , boom , the bushes stopped procucing the big fruit , bushes died and all there is now are puny little knee high spindly barren bushes ! You would have to put in a day picking for enough for a pie .

Bad Water Bill
08-21-2013, 03:01 PM
I have 3 grapevines (60+ years old) and have NOT got a grape in years. Just about the time they are about ripe enough to pick the grapes VANISH and all I have is empty stems.

Do you think that there is a BIG OLD cottonwood where at least 3 mama coons have called HOME for years has anything to do with it?

starmac
08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I love chockcherry jelly, the wife used to make it every year. I tried the wine, and to me it was a waist of chockcherries. lol

kodiak1
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
The little missus has juiced out about 40 pounds so far. I liver in Central Alberta and the berries here are good. We had to go to a funeral in Medicine Hat this last Wednesday so we stopped at a friends place a picked up 20 pounds. Those berries made half again as much juice.

Ken.

foxhole
09-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Me and my family likes choke cherry suryp and jam both.