PDA

View Full Version : Best bullet weight for a Ruger #1

broomhandle
10-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I picked up a Ruger #1A in 30-06 it has a 22 inch barrel.
They call it the light weight sporter.

Would any one know what seems to shoot best out of of this type rifle. in cast & j bullets.

Thanks for any help,
broomhandle

wiljen
10-14-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm afraid that is too wide open a question to really give you good answers.

Best accuracy would probably be found with one of the match bullets over Varget or 4064.

Best hunting bullets - gonna depend on game size etc. I'm partial to the speer Hotcor 165 in my 30-06s as it has performed well on deer sized game with accuracy that was more than acceptable in a hunting gun. I'm sure others will have preferences for heavier, lighter, and different brands as each of us has done our own experimenting.

Cast bullets are a law unto themselves and until you know your barrel's diameter, you'll be guessing as to how to size.

Good choices will probably be 31141, 311291, 311332, 311284 amongst others as these are the usual suspects but beyond that, your mileage may vary.

Best advice is to borrow 10 bullets/boolits of as many different types as you can from friends and shoot them. By the end of shooting 10-15 different slugs through your gun, you should have a better idea of what works and what doesnt.

Thumbcocker
10-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I have the same rifle and love it. In my experience 311291 is never a bad choice in .30-06. Provided the nose is big enough to meet resistance when pressed into the muzzle. 20.0 grns of 4759 has always shot good for me in most 06's with this bullet. I have also had good luck with 311299 sized .311 over 21 grns of 4759. If you want more velocity try AA3100 or 8700. I have been able to push straight air cooled ww bullets to 2000 fps with them. My go to powder has always been 4759.

No 1's can break your heart if they are not right. My .45-70 had a tight spot under the sling swivel band that drove me nuts until Ruger rebarelled it. The forearm hanger screw tension can be a problem on some. If you want a real lead slinger find a #3 in .30-40 Krag.

Ruger seems to have gotten their stuff together on the barrel band issues more recently.

broomhandle
10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys. :drinks:

I have two or three molds buried in the garage work bench.
I will dig them out and see what I have. It's been about ten years since I shot cast lead rifle bullets.:oops:

Been shooting more revolvers & 1911s .:-?

How tight do you tighten the forarm screw? Snug - hand tight or REALLY crank down on it?
I bought it used and the forend & butt stock screws were just a hair snug!

Thanks,
broomhandle

Thumbcocker
10-14-2007, 03:51 PM
On my No 1's the forearm screw likes to be just snug but not over tight. Of course each rifle is it's own universe. I put an accurizer in my .45-70 and it helped a lot by getting the forearm off the barrel.

Ross Seyfried did an article some years ago about glass bedding parts of the forearm on No 1's but my 06 is fine unmodified so if it ain't broke I wont fix it. If you have a lube sizer and gas checks I have a bunch of 311291's and 311 299's cast up. I would be glad to send you a couple dozen of each if you want to contact me.