PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Question

DLeeHarley
08-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Hello All my name is Dennis and I live near Boise in Idaho. I'm just starting to reload and in time I plan on casting for economy and accuracy. I got a load of used brass and am in the process of removing the used primers. All of my equipment so far is RCBS and I am using a dedicated decap die to remove the old primers and then clean the brass before proceeding. The press I'm using is an RCBS Rock Chucker RCII. My question is "How do you keep the Primers that are being removed from flying all over the place instead of landing in the little plastic pan there supposed to land in?" I've tried covering the whole press with a towel, but it really slows down the process if you know what I mean. Any help would and will be greatly appreciated I assure you. Thanks & Later,

Dennis
"Those who talk, Don't Do. Those who do, Don't Talk!"

500MAG
08-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Check out Jim's hillbilly primer catcher

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?169243-Hillbilly-primer-catcher

wv109323
08-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I have accepted spent primers being all over the floor as normal. It happens on my RCBS and my Dillon 550B.

500MAG
08-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I have heard that some of the guys use a piece of plastic straw about 2 inches long and push it up in the ram right up to the bottom of the shellholder directing the primers down into the catcher.

dmclark523
08-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Honestly, after a de-priming, the best solution is a broom and dustpan.

If i'm doing a big job (500-1000 casings), I hook up my RCBS aluminum primer catcher,
and it'll catch 60%-70%.

It is what it is....

DLeeHarley
08-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks all. I like the line, "it is what it is." Sounds like someone who tried a lot of things to combat it and finally just learned to deal with it. That's what I'm looking for reloader's just telling me how it is. Thanks guys. Later,

Dennis in Idaho

44Vaquero
08-08-2013, 11:35 PM
I like spent primers flying around the reloading room it adds to the ambiance of the reloading bench!

country gent
08-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Rcbs makes a primer catcher for their presses that works pretty good. I have built the edge up with tape at times to aid in catching primers. A strategically placed waste can will catch primers also. I use a co ax for most loading I replaced the pill bottle with a piece of clear tygon tubing and drilled a hole in the lid for an 8lb powder can.

waksupi
08-08-2013, 11:58 PM
I stuff a couple cleaning wads in the drop channel. It usually slows the primers, so they stay in the plastic catcher.

Welcome aboard!

merlin101
08-09-2013, 03:30 AM
Short of finding and useing a brass magnet just sweep up when done! :)

Sasquatch-1
08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Check out this tool. There are at least two threads dedicated to this tool here. I do not own one but I am thinking about it.

http://www.harveydeprimer.com/

mold maker
08-09-2013, 08:43 AM
I have tried everything shown, and thought up, to contain the aggravating little projectiles. I took the carpet out of the loading space, but replaced it with a throw rug. Depriming barefoot is totally out, those things hurt.
The closest thing I found to a solution was a piece cut from a plastic jug, tailored to fit the front of the RCBS primer catcher. It redirects the errant primers back into the catcher so many less makes it to the floor. The end result is still a broom.
I finally bought a used LEE cast classic and dedicated it with a LEE deprime die. No more escapees. The tube is into the top of a 2 liter drink bottle that is almost full.

mold maker
08-09-2013, 08:47 AM
double posted..

44Vaquero
08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
One thing you can try, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, is to very the length the de-capping pin penetrates the flash hole. It made a difference on my press when sizing .32 mag and .38's but not .45 ACP. YMMV

km101
08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I solved the flying primer problem long ago, and I'm surprised that no one has considered it here.

I cut a piece of plastic from the top of an old die box, about 1.5" wide by 2" tall. I punched a small hole near the bottom center of the piece and another about midway up and centered. I then took small zip ties and mounted the plastic to the front column of my Rock Chucker press. This is right in front of the channel in the ram, and diverts the primers to the side and into the cup about 99% of the time. I left the press mounted primer arm in place as it's spring fills that cut in the front of the press and doesn't allow primers to fall down there. This is simple and efficient and best of all it works!

I would post pics, but I am barely computer literate and cant even figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer, much less onto this thread. :)

Moldmaker: I just used duct tape on the front of the primer catcher (use # 999,999,996) as it will mold to the press when you put it back in place.

Bayou52
08-10-2013, 09:29 AM
The little RCBS primer catcher that attaches to the RC press works pretty good for me. Sometimes, I don't use it and instead just place our recycle box on the floor under the press and just let the primers fall down into that.

They automatically get recycled!

Sasquatch-1
08-11-2013, 08:22 AM
I have the old JR press with the primer catcher that goes on the front of the press. Primers everywhere when I use it for decapping. It is the one that normally comes up when you run RCBS primer catcher. The RC has the catcher that attaches to the rear of the ram. With the RC I found that a piece of the semi ridged foam that is used in som ammo boxes cut to fit the priming arm slot in the front of the ram will keep most of the primers (not all) in the recovery tray.