PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't do me good to get angry

Goatwhiskers
08-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Sitting here on the 'puter when my home phone rings. Listened to the computerized message claiming to be from the bank about my credit card, please call back to some 800 number. Figured it was some sales pitch or a scam so called the number on my card. Turns out it was legit, there was a charge of $1900 on my card from outside the US. What I would love to do to ID thieves is something Ramon Alvarez never thought of. Makes my blood pressure go up. GW

texassako
08-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Had something similar last year, but they were across town. Asked who and where, and the response was "We can't hand that out."

castalott
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Wait until it is family that does it to you......makes you want to cry...

sljacob
08-08-2013, 07:53 PM
It has happened to my wife twice, once overseas in France and again across the country. The 2ed time she had just gotten the card and had not have the card protection added yet and we got burned for about 8 grand. She has since canceled all credit cards and has no interest in getting a new one.

AviatorTroy
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I travel for a living. Happens to me all the time. I think the CC skimming occurs when you buy gas in the ghetto with "pay at the pump". My credit union is really great about it, I fill out some paperwork and they take it off my credit card. The biggest pain about it is having to cancel mine and my wife's credit cards and wait for new ones to come in the mail. Not too big of a deal.

olereb
08-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Same thing happened to me on Tuesday,i'm supposed to get my new card sometime next week[smilie=b: This happened for the first time about 6 years ago when I lived in PHX,some Mexicans got my info and since then it happens about every year and a half. I have been told once those groups get your info 1x its likely to happen again,could be false but sure is true in my case.

Boyscout
08-08-2013, 08:46 PM
My bank froze my card when I was in Augusta, Georgia earlier this year. They noticed that the charges didn't fit my pattern. I called them and answered some security questions and was back in business in minutes. I thanked them profusely. My wife started getting hit with charges in California for Game stores; someone got suspicious and called it in. We talked to the bank and they cleared it immediately.

Recluse
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
What I would love to do to ID thieves is something Ramon Alvarez never thought of. Makes my blood pressure go up. GW

Yep. Been through it as well and more than once.

I actually caught two of the thieves as they were local. The first time even happened when I was fighting crime for Uncle Sam. The second time happened years later here in the DFW area when someone at Harbor Freight kept my debit card number and decided she'd buy $748 worth of cheap Chi-comm tools for her and her boyfriend to then sell on Ebay.

Caught her AND her boyfriend, secured them, then went and called an old detective pal of mine from the Dallas PD and "explained" what had happened. We then hauled them up to Harbor Freight and explained to the manager what had happened.

This wench and her white-trash loser boyfriend had been fleecing customers for the past week. Their plan was to make enough money to "disappear in Mexico." What a laugh. Couple of idiotic gringos who didn't speak a lick of English, were dumber than an outhouse brick, and didn't even have the balls to even try and fight back when I walked into their apartment. . . but they were going to run off to Mexico and survive?

Right.

Third case was a bunch of Nigerian alpha-hotels. Nothing you can do there.

I feel your pain, Mike. Trust me.

:coffee:

Dale in Louisiana
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
A while back the people who handle my company expense card called me and asked if I'd been in California in that last few days. "Nope," I said. "Never got further west than Houston that week. Why?"

The lady proceeded to read off about four thousand dollars of charges to that card, all at businesses in California, and they were cancelling that card and Fed-exing me a new one. I asked that since they knew when and where the charges were made,were they going after the thief. She told me that they usually didn't.

Oh, well. Apparently somebody from a restaurant where I used the card was skimming numbers and selling them.

dale in Louisiana

2wheelDuke
08-08-2013, 09:19 PM
My credit card has been compromised a few times. Two of the times, I'm certain that it was skimmed in a restaurant.

One was at an expensive place in Austin, TX. My card started getting used in Chicago while I was still in Texas. Another time was when I used my card in a Cuban restaurant. My card was being used in Hialeah before long. Both cases must've been cloned cards.

The bank caught it quickly both times, had me sign some forms and removed the charges.

contender1
08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
While I have a few cards, I almost always pay in cash, or only use my card where I have control in a location I feel is secure. So far, no problems.
Hard to scam cash,,,,!

leeggen
08-08-2013, 10:58 PM
On the back of your card is a 3 diget security # write it down in your phone under a false name or what ever so you can remember it, then scratch it off the card. Be suprised how many time you will get asked for it. At that time ask for the manager and talk to themas to why they need it. Not to offtain it is required, they want it to gat into your account after writting the numbers down off your card. Also wife checks our accounts everyday for false activity. Just an added protection .
CD

nicholst55
08-09-2013, 05:09 PM
On the back of your card is a 3 diget security # write it down in your phone under a false name or what ever so you can remember it, then scratch it off the card. Be suprised how many time you will get asked for it. At that time ask for the manager and talk to themas to why they need it. Not to offtain it is required, they want it to gat into your account after writting the numbers down off your card. Also wife checks our accounts everyday for false activity. Just an added protection .
CD

An excellent suggestion!

Taylor
08-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Yep,been there done that,it do suck!

375RUGER
08-10-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm one my 3rd company CC in about 6 years. Last time card usage place me at the *** in Paris.
This week for the first time I'm getting a new personal CC, seems one of mine was compromised.

popper
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Happen to me first time it was a washed check. Last time it was a CC charge. Banks usually just write off the loss. Sometimes they will find and prosecute. Most of the PD reports for town are CC fraud, WM. Reminds me, I gotta email the council to let them know the panhandlers have started working the parking lot of the new WallyWorld. The old 'buy me some gas so me and little sis can get home'. Hey kid, call your mom or the PD, on your new Iphone.

dtknowles
08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't think that the credit card companies eat the fraudulent charges, I think they push it back on the retailers who accepted the fraudulent cards. If your card is a debit card and or someone uses you credit card to get cash the card company may not have a retailer to push the charges back on, that makes it harder to get your money back.

Tim

lylejb
08-10-2013, 05:22 PM
I just yesterday received a letter from my bank, " your card ending in xxxx has been compromised " along with a new card in a second letter. I looked online and haven't noticed anything missing.

At least they were fast about replacing the card.

unclogum bill
09-05-2013, 12:08 AM
A month back got my Credit card statement and was floored. , there was 1,600.00 bucks charged that should not have been there. I still had card but I'm told someone electronically got my info and went internet shopping. If it wasn't so much I might not have caught it. In the end it cost me nothing. But remember this, be careful and check your statements for weird.

SteveUSP
09-05-2013, 01:43 AM
It happened to me at a Fina gas station in Plano TX. An employee there was using my number to buy gas and beer. We had the date and time of all the false charges, so it would be easy to find out who it was. Instead, Fina practically accused me of lying, and was very reluctant to remove the charges. I cancelled the account when it was finally resolved, and I don't get gas at Fina anymore. My wife checks all charges every month, otherwise we might not have noticed right away. As others have said, check your statements.

Gliden07
09-05-2013, 01:46 AM
One of the things that gets me about Credit Card companies is I tried to get a low limit card $500 bucks and I was told they didn't issue cards for that small of an amount. Now I will admit I didn't do a ton of looking into this but that sounds like BS to me?

km101
09-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I have had this happen 3 times in the last two years. I think it happens in restaurants where the server has your card and is out of your sight. I know it happens other places, but this has been my problem area. I started getting charges from all over the country, so someone was obviously selling my CC number. Had charges from NYC and CA in the same day! The card company blocked the card and called me. We got the charges removed and they had a new card on the way in less than 15 min., but they would not even discuss whether they were actively looking for the thieves, or if they would prosecute! They just accept it as a cost of doing business and move on! Burns me up!

The biggest hassle is contacting all the accounts and changing the card number on file, or even remembering who to call!

There has to be a separate circle in hell for these people!