PDA

View Full Version : A Real Problem with a Smith

KCSO
08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh Boy now what to do. I sold my old K 38 a while back as I had one coming from a friend of my Dad's. So it came, a new 14-4 K38 with Millet sights in the back a patridge white dot front and UNFIRED. Boy now what do I do, it's so pretty I can't stand to take it to the range. I have the gun and lots of ammo but I can't stand to dirty up this gun, I may have to tie a rope on it and drag it around some so I will be able to shoot it.

williamwaco
08-08-2013, 05:45 PM
I would be happy to break it in for you.

I promise no rope and no dragging.

btroj
08-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Boy, what a dilemma to have....

DeanWinchester
08-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Wasn't made to look at. It was made to shoot.

A gun you can't shoot is worthless......unless its parts for one you can shoot.

Char-Gar
08-08-2013, 06:07 PM
It's a man's work you have ahead of you, so hitch up your jeans and get er done! When you have a job like that, don't stand around thinking about it, for that will only make it worse. Get busy and fling lead!

45 2.1
08-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Hee hee hee......... +1 on that statement. Goodun.

Cactus Farmer
08-08-2013, 07:33 PM
I found this little gem. Unfired. A box of 356402s over 3.5 grns of BE fixed the problem.

Oops,I'm a lefty,can you tell?

Three44s
08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
If you could have kept the old one ......... you'd have had the best of both worlds!

On the other hand ......... true virgins make dull company!

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it!

Three 44s

pietro
08-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Don't take it to the range - let it take you..................... ;)

:D

JRPVT
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Had the same problem a few years ago when I got my NIB Walther P88 fullsize after waiting 20 years...too pretty to shoot.The wife said shoot it or when I'd get home the next day there'd be enough turned dirt for a garden and a pile of brass to pick up.I shot it.:smile:

MtGun44
08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Sorry, very little sympathy, guns are to shoot, not look at. Now, I HAVE avoided
buying a few that were NIB, to leave for a collector, but if I buy it, it WILL be shot.

Bill

nhrifle
08-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh, just shoot the thing!!!

leftiye
08-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not having quite that same problem with my "new" Colt official police in 32-20. Have to restore it before I can shoot it. Virgin 'tain't!

btroj
08-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Drive on down to Bellevue, I can take cared that problem for you. I have plenty of 38 special loaded.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
+1 to Char-Gar's comment!

GaryN
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a friend who bought a new rifle. He was babying the heck out of it. This was during the hunt. Then he fell down and gouged the stock. Hahahaha. He got up and said "Well now I can go hunting and not have to worry about this gun anymore"

km101
08-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Shoot it! Don't torture yourself. Then think of all the fun you had, and will have!

Bucking the Tiger
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Unfired? That is like a toy a kid never got to play with. Don't babysit a gun for someone else. I bought a S&W Model 10-5 at a local gun shop with no turn marks on the cylinder and ran 600 rounds through it the first weekend I had it. I did the same thing to a mint Model 64 before that. I enjoy shooting both revolvers still. Smith test fires everything, so it has been shot( a little) Go enjoy it!

birch
08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
I recently had the same problem with a 8" Python. It was never fired when I got it, and since I am in the same camp as most who say shoot the gun, I ran to get some medium powered .38.

Well, I shot it. It was accurate. It was smooth as silk. It made me feel bad each time I shot the darned thing. I got rid of it to a collector. It was too nice to shoot and I understand your apprehension. My advise--don't shoot that one.

I know I will probably catch hell for saying that, but it is hard to explain until you have experienced that feeling. I assume you have other guns that you could shoot?

Jammersix
08-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Won't be shiny anymore.

Just sayin'.

NoZombies
08-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I looked at a beautiful colt match revolver today in it's original box with the factory target. It is unfired since the factory test. The price was a little high for me, but I also knew I couldn't justify buying a gun that I would never be able to bring myself to shoot. I don't have any guns that I "won't" shoot, but I do have some I haven't gotten around to yet. I have also passed on others, like the colt today, that I wouldn't have shot.

All my guns are shooter grade. I just prefer someone else get them to that condition so I don't have to worry about it. My Smith model 16-4 is a factory conversion single action, and it's so much more accurate than I am that it would be a shame not to shoot it, so I was glad that the guy before me had put a few thousand rounds down range with it before selling it to me.

GLL
08-10-2013, 08:25 PM
All of my S&W revolvers are "shooter grade" !
Some are very, very nice shooter grade but they are still shooters ! :)

Jerry

canyon-ghost
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, first you look at it. Then you work up a light load with the right bullet. Then you spend the next five range trips setting the sights and refining the load. Make sure it does stay shiny- after all, that is really what the hobby consists of. Oh, then you'll have to clean it, be careful and makes sure it still stays shiny. Coat with carnuba and polish so it do. Then, look at it and polish with flannel some more. Isn't that what you want to do??

9.3X62AL
08-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Collector-itis is a SICKNESS. It's also a scam, run by collectors/flippers that want to grind down prices to sellers in order to save themselves some folding money. This is another of those irritations within the shooting community that I have little patience with. OK. I'm old and a curmudgeon. But if I wanted to just look at firearms, I could buy photos and save a ton of money, all right? I buy them to shoot them.

dubber123
08-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I find it helps to look at production numbers. Many of our "rare" guns were produced in the many tens of thousands, and are far from rare. Shoot them and enjoy them, there are plenty around.

brotherdarrell
08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
I believe the true source of the problem is not that "YOU" don't want to shoot the new revolver but that your old K38 doesn't want you to shoot the new revolver!!!! That's right, the old revolver has put a hex on you for dumping it for some new-fangled "dash" revolver!!!!! There are two ways to break the hex: shoot it or get the old one back.

Hell hath no fury like a K38 scorned. You have been warned.

Hickory
08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Your delima is like being married to a beautiful virgin, and wanting to keep her that way.

Let us know the outcome.

remy3424
08-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Bought a new Colt Trooper III a few years back....couldn't shooter her...tried to buy a used one from a local guy to shoot...no luck there...this spring got a NIB 14-3 and shot the heck out her with mild wadcutters and I do love that gun! She isn't new any more but I bought that one to shoot, not to appreciate in value, but it likely will anyway.