PDA

View Full Version : Hard cast lead Bullets

fixedgear51
10-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm a newcomer to reloading and have been loading copper plated only, question is is there any different procedure when lead bullets are used? Is the crimp still the same and does the lube groove present any changes? In short can lead cast be treated the same as copper plated? I load 45ACP and 40S&W. :confused:

Blammer
10-13-2007, 10:14 PM
you may have to flair the case a bit more so the lead don't shave off when seating the bullet.

In the 40 S&W just watch for leading, as I THINK that one may be more prone to it than the 45 ACP due to the higher working pressure.

Blammer
10-13-2007, 10:14 PM
oh yea, WELCOME!

leftiye
10-14-2007, 04:06 PM
You'll probably want to reduce loads some. Real hard lead with real good lube in a chamber that is correct, with a bore that's nice and smooth, in the right caliber gun maybe can shoot max loads with cast, but many won't. The changes you'll have to make will be to attain accuracy, and avoid leading. But, it's just about as fun, and just about as useful to shoot somewhat more moderate loads.

For example, I can load 1600-1800 fps loads in my Casuul with 300 gr. boolits. I like 1300 fps. 300 gr loads better, and at that velocity a 300 gr hollowpoint can be made with softer lead, do more damage, and shoot straight too.

fixedgear51
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
oh yea, WELCOME!

Thank you for the warm welcome Blammer and I would like to say HELLO to all the members as well. It's forums like these that enable newbs like myself to grow and learn in this sport and be able to pick the brains of people who have been there and done that. Thank you to all the sponsers, your site came with great reccomendations.
I think I'll be ordering some lead boolits from Kead tommorow.......maybe a couple hundred to try before I jump in.:drinks:

rvpilot76
10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Interesting screenname there. Care to elaborate? You may notice mine has an aviation "ring" to it.

Welcome to the board,

Kevin

fixedgear51
10-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Interesting screenname there. Care to elaborate? You may notice mine has an aviation "ring" to it.

Welcome to the board,

Kevin

Kevin, I'm a long in the tooth cyclist,been riding for more years than I can remember...fixedgear refers to a track bike that has only one speed that's fixed to the wheel, 51 was my age when I used the screenname(I'm 55 now) :)
Your 76 refers your age?
Michael

Single Shot
10-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits.

And since you cast you own, you should use a home brew gun cleaner.

Nothing better than Ed's Red. Col. Harris is well know for his shooting expertise.

http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

rvpilot76
10-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Kevin, I'm a long in the tooth cyclist,been riding for more years than I can remember...fixedgear refers to a track bike that has only one speed that's fixed to the wheel, 51 was my age when I used the screenname(I'm 55 now) :)
Your 76 refers your age?
Michael

Boy, was I off on that one. I thought your screenname had something to do with a P51 Mustang. When I lived in Juneau, all I had for transportation was my mountain bike. Came back that summer in great shape. The number 76 refers to my birthdate; I'm still just a young buck.f

Kevin