PDA

View Full Version : Priming Tools

Guardian
08-08-2013, 04:27 PM
I have used several of the various priming tools on the market and I'm still looking for one that suits me. I use the priming system on my progressive press for loads done on that machine, but I still use my turret and single stage presses for some loads. I prefer to prime using something besides the factory priming systems on these presses. The hand priming tools work well, but they cause my hands to ache for about two days following use. Following is a list of the tools I've used and my opinion on them in order of acquisition.

LEE Auto-Prime (old model with the round tray) - These really worked well until I broke the thumb levers on the two I had. The metal just weakened through repeated use. These were relatively fast, although I've had issues with the shell holder for 223 being finicky about nicks in the case rim. I had to remember to shake it every third primer to break the jam in the tray at the chute, but I got into a rhythm and it worked. If it weren't for the arthritis, I'd still be using this style.

RCBS Hand Priming Tool (older model with the round tray) - I bought this thinking the lever would be easier on my hands than the thumb lever; however, the metal slide that cutoff the primer being seated from the reservoir made the operation anything but smooth. Primers would get stuck between the side of the chute and the metal cutoff slide and require shaking to get the conflict resolved. There also was a hitch in the lever at full open that required both hands to get the lever over. If you maintained tension on the lever to prevent it from going to full open, this wasn't a problem. If you needed both hands to do something else, you had to get the lever moving again. The pivot point being at the bottom of the tool just didn't allow the tool to work like a pair of pliers, like I expected it to. I rarely had a primer jam issue at the throat to the chute simply because I was always shaking the thing to get the cutoff moving. I got tired of this tool quickly and gave it away.

Hornady Handheld Priming Tool - I bought this tool because it had the pivot point located to act more like a pair of pliers. This tool was relatively easy on my hands and worked OK on large primers, but it allowed small primers to flip readily (yes, I verified I had the correct tray). After seating a few primers sideways or upside down, I got tired of it and looked for something else.

Forster Co-Ax Bench Priming Tool - I really thought I knew what I wanted in a priming tool by this point and this looked like the tool to have. I had no idea how much of a pain it is to load the primer tubes for this thing. I like the function of the tool when seating the primers, but it is SLOW to load the tubes. The primer tray built into the base of the tool has no ridges to flip the primers to the correct orientation and then you have to push each one into the tube with a rod of some sort (they show a pencil). I modified a RCBS square primer flipper tray with a Dremel tool, which helped, but the tubes only hold 40 primers at the time and I can only load 10 primer into the tray at a time and get them to run into the tube well. I'm still looking for a better answer.

LEE Auto-Prime XR - I bought these thinking I was getting the ERGO-PRIME (which I later noticed still has the bottom pivot point). My fault for not opening the box in the store to look at it before buying two of them, but alas, it isn't the first time my haste has gotten the better of me and probably won't be the last. I've had issues with flipped primers, particularly SR, with these. The lift system to separate the primer being seated from the reservoir seems to be the cause of this. The rectangular tray seems to have eliminated the primer jam issue, although you now have to tilt the tool every 5 primers or so to keep the chute full. These are off the table before the arthritis factors in because of the flipped primers.

LEE Auto-Prime II Press Mounted Priming Tool - I like this setup fairly well. The only real drawback to me is having to push the last 5 to 7 primers down the chute manually. Use of the tool is easy on my hands. It isn't as fast to use as the hand priming tools, but it's much faster than the single load factory system on the press and it loads faster than the Forster tool. It needs a shake every few primers to break the primer jam at the throat of the chute. I've got it mounted on a RCBS Jr press, so the handle throw is pretty short.

I've been looking at the RCBS APS press mounted tool, but there are several reviews critical of the feeding mechanism (plastic gears) on that. Are the APS strips worth the hassle?

Is the RCBS bench mounted priming tool (the non-APS version) as awkward to use as it appears in the videos? I guess you get in a rhythm of pick primer, insert case, seat primer, remove case, repeat; but it just looks like the swinging primer tube would be cumbersome.

Anyone know why LEE ceased production of the Auto-Prime II? Are they revising it?

Is there something better out there that I've overlooked?

jmort
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Lee Precision has a new model called the Ergo Prime, looks cool with Lee Precision Red Powder Coat. You probably have the shell holders. I'm going to get one to go with my three older Auto Primes.
http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/lee-ergo-prime
I think the RCBS bench tool is a space eater. Many happy users of the RCBS Universal hand primer.

jcwit
08-08-2013, 04:53 PM
I use the old Lee hand primers that have the screw in shell holders. I have one for each size case I reload for except one and that one I use a K & M hand primer.

I also have a few Lee hand primers with the round primer holder and the Hornady primer with the round tray, but I don't use them.

08-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Started with a Lee Auto-Prime, bought another so there would be one for each primer size, then through an odd circumstance acquired an XR and hated it. As a test, bought a Lyman ram prime and ever since the Lees have been collecting dust.

Fishman
08-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I ha ve the rcbs priming tool you refer to and I've had none of the problems you describe. It sounds like you may have misassembled the tool. It is also possible that RCBShad some machine problems with that particular tool. If you had sent it back they would have rectified It I am sure.

I prime when I can on the progressive. I still use my hand primer quite a bit too.

r1kk1
08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
I use the K&M deluxe priming tool if I want precise priming seating. I use press mounted tools like the ones built in like Dillon or Redding for bulk priming.

Take care

r1kk1

Guardian
08-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I ha ve the rcbs priming tool you refer to and I've had none of the problems you describe. It sounds like you may have misassembled the tool. It is also possible that RCBShad some machine problems with that particular tool. If you had sent it back they would have rectified It I am sure.

I assume you mean the RCBS hand priming tool. In fairness, I did not contact RCBS about the issue. I just assumed my specimen was the norm and moved on.

texassako
08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I have the RCBS non-APS bench mounted tool and can really get in a rhythm. It is even the one you need to swing the primer tube by hand before the lever moved it. I have used some of the press mounted ram primes, the dinky swing away one on my Lee press, and Lee's Auto-Prime on my press, and I keep coming back to this one.

fouronesix
08-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Have tried a few different ones including the press mounted variety- which is not the best system at all. The old Lee dedicated shell holder hand primer was a very good one- just a pain to switch out holders and was dropped by Lee- so some odd sized holders were never made or available. Then I tried the Lee auto prime with the bayonet style shell holders- still use it some but it is zinc and plastic junk. Then I was given an RCBS hand primer- junk and I don't use it.

In between all this and years ago I found a Wilson/Sinclair hand primer in a sale box at the local guns shop for $20. It's been my primary tool. It uses the bayonet type holders, it's built like a tank, has great feel and will last a lifetime.

375supermag
08-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I have used the bench-mounted APS system by RCBS for years with very limited complaints.

I prime every case I shoot on it.

There are a couple of idiosyncrasies that you need to be mindful of...

Use the small primer sleeve inside a large primer sleeve when priming small pistol cases.
Make sure your primer strips are in good condition, when they wear you will have problems. I have adopted the protocol of replacing the primer strips each year just for peace of mind. It is difficult to see the wear...worn strips will cause the primer strip to advance erratically and then the primer rod will not be aligned properly.

I disassemble the tool every thousand cases or so and blow it out with compressed air to remove any accumulated dirt, debris, dust, what have you.

I absolutely hate hand priming tools and don't have warm, fuzzy feelings for press-mounted priming mechanisms, either.
I think the bench-mounted APS system is the best option for someone like me who wants a dedicated priming tool and wants to prime several hundred cases in a short period of time. I can pre-load as many strips as I need on the strip loading tool and then hook the strips together for basically uninterrupted priming. I typically prime in batches of 500 (probably takes a couple of hours, I never timed myself) and then load the primed cases as needed.

On more than one or two cold,snowy winter's days, I have primed several thousand cases (enough to load about a month's worth of ammo). If I really keep to an informal schedule and if I have re-sized, de-primed and cleaned the primer pockets, I can prime enough cases in a week or two working in the evening after work using the APS system to ready enough brass for a whole shooting season (about 6,000 rounds of handgun ammo in various calibers).

I freely admit that after my health issues last year, I failed miserably at keeping an adequate supply of primed cases stocked for this shooting season. Still, by being fairly diligent in my duties, I have managed to keep the ammo boxes relatively full and have several thousand cases ready to load.

The major issue has been carving out sufficient time to get my son and I to the range. We have both been working 6-7 days a week pretty much all year with no end in sight.

Gillie Dog
08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
The Auto Prime II tool is my favorite. Never misses a beat and I have never had issues with it. Easy to seat primer and once you are used to it the feel of each seating is discernible. Much easier on hands/thumbs than the hand held devices. Ergo prime is nice but the II is better in my mind.

I am sure Lee had some legal concerns so production was stopped. The Pro 1000 chutes and trays are the replacements but the metal pieces are not available.

On FleaBay they have been going for $40 or so lately. A little high for me but if I ever find a deal I will get another just to have.

GD

chsparkman
08-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I prime mostly on my Hornady LNL AP. When I prime manually though I use the RCBS APS hand priming tool. It's the best. No spilled or dropped primers and I can sit back in my lazy chair in front of the TV and prime away. It's a great tool.

wrench
08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I load my pistol ammo on a Dillon 550 and use it's primer setup with no issues.
For rifle ammo, I reload on a Rockchucker, and have been priming with the RCBS hand primer tool. Mine also works better than yours, really no issues at all, except like you, my hands get tired from using it.
Recently, I picked this up:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131071/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-press-auto-priming-unit
and have now primed several hundred cases using it. What a super tool!!! Took me about 15 minutes to assemble and adjust, now I can prime my bottleneck brass at the same time I bell the case mouths.
Saves time, saves handling the brass one more time, saves my hands.
Yes, you have to load the primer tube, but that takes about 2 minutes...not a big deal IMHO.

Guardian
08-08-2013, 10:58 PM
375SuperMag,

How long does it take to load the strips? They hold 10 primers each? I've never timed myself, but I think I can pick up 100 primers in a tube, from opening primer sleeve to full tube, in about 2 minutes. How long would you estimate to load those same 100 primers into the strips?

Guardian
08-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Wrench,
Funny we posted the same time for the tube filling. I posted before I read your post, I promise.

My issue is not tired hands. Sore from use I can tolerate, and endurance builds over time. My issue is arthritis that causes my hands to ache, throb, and generally be difficult to make function for days after use of the hand priming tools.

Thanks for posting the link. I've looked at the manual primer feeds like this for my Redding T7, but I decided if I were going to use something that primes at the bottom of the ram down stroke, I may as well just cycle them through my Hornady LNL AP, since I already have it. I know, not everyone has that option and the device you linked would likely work well. The only reason I don't load the rifle ammo on the LNL is because I'm using extruded powder, which I've yet to get to meter consistently enough to suit me.

I certainly understand the advantage in your arrangement, but I'm only loading jacketed bullets in rifle calibers right now. I'll keep this in mind when I finally get around to casting for rifles.

salpal48
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
My method of priming Is on my Lyman all american Press. with the push button primer system . I use Dillon Feed tubes in the lyman and fill them with a vibra prime . It works Great. i only use this if loading more than 100 . otherwize I go back to the smaller Lyman tubes. i found the Vibra Prime will work on other single stage presses with universals on them
I also use an older Gun Clinic bench Tool

Sasquatch-1
08-09-2013, 07:21 AM
I have had a Lee Auto-Prime II that I have used for many, many years. Recently I started having problems with the primers jamming when using small pistol primers. I just received a new Hornady hand primer last week and I now wonder why I didn't get a hand primer decades ago. Only problem I found with the Hornady is I have to put a clip on the tray where it feeds into the primer handle to tightly hold down the lid. Seems it is a little loose and the primers can flip. Just to clarify, I only use single stage presses.

mulehead
08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I have a Dillon RL-1000 that I've had for many years and it is a super machine for large quantities of reloads. For me it has been an outstanding system. Tried other hand priming tools for short run applications and it seemed that I had the same problems described in the other posts. Ultimately the one I finally ended up using is the Sinclair hand primer. Somewhat pricey but I don't think you could wear it out in a lifetime. Stainless steel construction with aluminum lever. The shell holders are very inexpensive.(Lee auto prime) What I really like about it is the sensitivity when priming as it has great feel when the primer goes in.

Airman Basic
08-09-2013, 11:37 AM
LEE Auto-Prime (old model with the round tray) - These really worked well until I broke the thumb levers on the two I had. The metal just weakened through repeated use. These were relatively fast, although I've had issues with the shell holder for 223 being finicky about nicks in the case rim. I had to remember to shake it every third primer to break the jam in the tray at the chute, but I got into a rhythm and it worked. If it weren't for the arthritis, I'd still be using this style.

I've been using the same ones for more years than I care to remember, also. Sympathize with the sore hands, but how much pressure do you put on those pot-metal levers to break them? I just grease the friction point with a little Rig or something, and stop when I feel them bottom out. Have the new Ergo I got recently. Jury's still out on that one, but does seem it would be better for sore thumbs.

44Vaquero
08-09-2013, 02:39 PM
The LEE Auto-Prime II press mounted priming tool is my primary tool. I have had it mounted on a Lee Reloader press for 10 or 15 years. On the turret press I use the Lee Safety prime and on the progressives I use the on board priming systems.

Since I started out with the Auto-Prime II, I never much bothered with any of the hand primers. In fact I only switched the turret over from the T-type primer to the Safety prime 2 or 3 years ago.

seagiant
08-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi,
Lachmiller! Nuff said!:smile:

Guardian
08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Sympathize with the sore hands, but how much pressure do you put on those pot-metal levers to break them?

Ok, so I can be a bit of a brute. I broke the turret head off a Lyman press, that surprised me way more than the pot metal levers breaking. I believe in buying grade 8 fasteners, not because they are needed to hold the objects together, but because the lesser bolts snap before they get tight. Overkill is highly underrated!:bigsmyl2:

Seriously, the pot metal the levers are made of just broke after years of use. I put my thumbs higher on the lever for better leverage, maybe that's what got it.

km101
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I have tried most of the hand priming units now on the market. I still like and still use the old style Lee Auto Prime (with the round trays). Lee informed me several years ago that they did not have repair parts for these units, so I started scrounging on the internet. I have enough spare parts to last me until I die or my eyes get too bad to shoot, whichever comes first.

In my opinion (yes, I know how much that's worth) the old Lee hand primer is the easiest, most efficient out there. If you can find one try it. You might like it. And if you don't, PM me!

km101
08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi,
Lachmiller! Nuff said!:smile:

Does this unit have a primer feed? Or do you insert them individually?

salpal48
08-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Enclosed The priming Tool " Gun Clinic "
This is a work Horse . But the feed tubs are a little getting Use to
Sal

sigraph
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Lee hand priming tool (round primer holder) - haven't tried one of the new ones but my old one works great. If it's something I don't have a shell holder for I use a lee ram prime tool - slow, but works every-time.
A friend bought an RCBS reloading kit - the RCBS hand priming tool works "pretty fair" but isn't in the same league with the lee. I'm not dogging RCBS - I own a lot of their equipment, but as far as hand priming tools go there's no comparison to the lee.

joesig
08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Is the RCBS bench mounted priming tool (the non-APS version) as awkward to use as it appears in the videos? I guess you get in a rhythm of pick primer, insert case, seat primer, remove case, repeat; but it just looks like the swinging primer tube would be cumbersome.

The only thing I find less than ideal about the bench mounted press is it has to either overhang the edge of the bench or be mounted on a block. I am sure the straight bar handle is cheaper to manufacture but I wish RCBS would improve that to something more convenient. Mine is from the 70's with the full aluminum tubes. I don't see that press ever wearing out.

I like the idea of a hand press so one could prime while sitting on the couch but I love how reliable the bench press is and it's worth being in front of the bench to use. If I could have only one, this would be it!

seagiant
08-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Does this unit have a primer feed? Or do you insert them individually?

Hi,
The one pictured above is individually operated on the primers and this model to me has the best "feel" to it. They did make a model with a feed tube but it works a little different!

375supermag
08-09-2013, 08:59 PM
375SuperMag,

How long does it take to load the strips? They hold 10 primers each? I've never timed myself, but I think I can pick up 100 primers in a tube, from opening primer sleeve to full tube, in about 2 minutes. How long would you estimate to load those same 100 primers into the strips?

Hi...

I would guess(just a rough estimate) that I can dump 25 primers in the strip loader's tray, orient them in the correct manner and load them into the strip in about two minutes.
So, maybe 10-12 minutes altogether to load four strips (100 primers).

The nice thing is that I can preload the strips, so that I can have as many strips as I want ready to prime cases whenever.

The primers were available preloaded in strips, although I haven't seen any at a gun shop in years.

Mal Paso
08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
APS Bench mount. 25 Primers per strip and you've never seen a smaller box of 1000 primers when they come in the strips. Easier to fill the strips than the RCBS Tubes and the tube type seem to fumble the last few primers. The feed isn't perfect but overall APS is the best priming tool I've used yet.

I've had Fail to Fire issues using a hand priming tool with some of the harder primers. I have 2 revolvers that strike light and heavier springs are not available. The bench mount gives me just enough crush and eliminated FTF allowing me to use primers other than Federal.

A pause for the COZ
08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Right now I am down to two ways to prime.
For rifles I use the 21st Century hand priming tool. Its not fast because you have to inert each primer manually.
But it is the best tool I have used. Perfect feel and the primers get set exactly the same each time.
If it came down to it, and I could only have one way to prime. I would keep this tool.

http://www.21stcenturyshooting.com/S.S_FQUY.php

For pistol or large volume rifle I use the RCBS bench top APS primer. Yea there are a couple quirks to it.
But once you figure it out and how to use. It will flat out Prime some cases.
I have mounted to a wood board that i can clamp or bolt down when I need it.
That way its not in the way when I dont need it.

mdi
08-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I didn't see an answer for my methods. I often ram prime with a dedicated "priming press", I use the priming arm on my Lee turret press, I use a Lee "ergonomic" hand primer (or a Hornady hand primer), and sometimes, when I'm using a Lee Loader, I just prime with a Lee Loader on my arbor press...

Freischütz
08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
J use the RCBS version of the Lachmiller bench primer. 39 years of complete satisfaction.

Guardian
08-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I didn't see an answer for my methods. I often ram prime with a dedicated "priming press", I use the priming arm on my Lee turret press, I use a Lee "ergonomic" hand primer (or a Hornady hand primer), and sometimes, when I'm using a Lee Loader, I just prime with a Lee Loader on my arbor press...

The question was narrowed by the word "most". Ram priming falls into the "press mounted attachment" category. "On The Press (Single Stage and Turret Presses)" covers the turret press method you mentioned. Hand priming tool should be obvious enough as to which category it falls into. The latter method, you got me on that one.

mdi
08-12-2013, 12:15 PM
The question was narrowed by the word "most". Ram priming falls into the "press mounted attachment" category. "On The Press (Single Stage and Turret Presses)" covers the turret press method you mentioned. Hand priming tool should be obvious enough as to which category it falls into. The latter method, you got me on that one.
Hmm. Is "press mounted" not the same as "on the press"? I have the stock primer arm on my press. It is mounted on my press...;-) I have a ram prime on my press. It is mounted on my C-H. No big deal.

Green Frog
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi,
The one pictured above is individually operated on the primers and this model to me has the best "feel" to it. They did make a model with a feed tube but it works a little different!

Your picture appears to have the feed tube?? I've got the same unit, but it's missing all of the primer feed system and has a standard shell holder that doesn't allow primer feed anyway. I've never used it, but it looked cool when I found it at a gun show! :roll:

Froggie

Guardian
08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Hmm. Is "press mounted" not the same as "on the press"?

It was clear to me what I meant. [smilie=b:

What I intended the difference to be was:

On The Press (Single Stage and Turret Presses) - the priming arm that comes with the press from the factory
On The Press (Progressive Press) - the priming system that comes from the factory
Press Mounted Attachment - ram priming tools (auto feed or not), auto feeds added to work with the factory priming arm, or anything else that isn't stock to the press
Hand Priming Tool - any tool that is intended to be used in the hand for priming
Bench Mounted Tool - any tool that is either intended to be mounted to the bench or sits on the bench for priming

Sorry for the confusion.

Tx reloader72
08-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Most of my reloading is done on the LNL. For my single stage loading I use the RCBS hand priming tool.

EddieNFL
08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Hand, bench or press...depends on what I'm loading.

Cmm_3940
08-14-2013, 01:51 AM
I use the add-on "auto prime" attachment on my Redding T7. Works like the Dillon setup with the primer pickup tubes and the sliding bar, the difference being you slide the bar manually each time instead of having a rod that does it like on the Dillon 550B. It also seems to be more crud tolerant than the Dillon setup, probably since you slide the bar manually. Get an extra slider bar so you don't have to swap out primer cups and you're set. I have big clumsy hands and didn't even TRY to hand feed primers into that tiny little priming arm that came with the T7.

enfieldphile
08-16-2013, 12:44 PM
For seating rifle primers, I use a RCBS hand prime tool (original one w/ round tray).

On my Lee Classic Cast Turret press (handgun loads), I use the Lee tray / primer feed attachment system.

UPDATE: 9/11/13

I ordered a Lee Ergo w/ the square trays. It has arrived. I have not tried it out yet. Why did I order it? 'Cause ah can! ;)

Echo
08-17-2013, 07:47 PM
For low-volume work I use old Lee hand primers that use screw-in shell holders. I have several of them - one set up for 45-06-308 etc, one for 38-357, and one for anything else. Sit in front of Tv and knock out 100 or so.
When loading a bunch of 223's, I use my RCBS Automatic Primer Putter. Load up a couple of primer tubes, and have at 'em.
Otherwise, the Dillon is used for mass production.

doulos
08-17-2013, 09:53 PM
For .45acp and .38 special I use my Primer on my Dillon 550B the most. For 44 and .357 mag I usually use a RCBS hand primer. I have both models. The newer universal model that is used with out shell holders and the older one used with shell holders. I actually prefer the older one.

EDG
08-18-2013, 12:54 PM
I use the old Lee hand primer with the screw in shell holders for everything that I could find a shell holder for.

For X large cases and odd balls, I use a standard shell holder with the dinky little RCBS bench tool that has NO primer feed.

Lead Fred
08-20-2013, 09:22 PM
RCBS bench mounted, for the simple reason I work with 90% mil surp cases.

I have the press mounted ones, but remember as a teen getting my fingers bit by them.

Dont like hand primers

Kent Fowler
08-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I use the old Lee hand primers that have the screw in shell holders. I have one for each size case I reload for except one and that one I use a K & M hand primer.

I also have a few Lee hand primers with the round primer holder and the Hornady primer with the round tray, but I don't use them.

Those old Lee's are slick as glass. Wish mine hadn't gotten away from me. Noticed,today, on an auction site which will remain nameless that someone has 6 primer tools and 27 screw in holders up for bid. From looking at the price, some others like them also.

engineer401
08-25-2013, 10:10 PM

I started to use this bench mounted tool when the Lee hand primer started giving joint in my thumb fits. The RCBS bench mounted primer is strange looking but very reliable and easy to use. I recommend this tool. I don't use one anymore only because I purchased a 550 a few years ago.

salpal48
08-25-2013, 10:26 PM
I also use The old lachmiller Bench Tool. Since i don't have the primer tube assembly it slow. my gun Clinic is fasted . But most times slow is a lot Better.

Green Frog
08-31-2013, 09:19 PM
I just picked up another re- and decapper made by my late friend Jerry "Jake" Simmons. It was on flea-Bay and in like new condition. I was the only bidder... maybe nobody else wanted a 32-40 shell holder, but of course that means it fits the whole 30-30 family of cases. This one is going to probably go in the safe... it's the only one I've got that is so close to pristine. Life is good! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

Guardian
09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
So hand priming tools won. That, in and of itself, is no surprise. What is surprising to me is that more than 50% of the voters use a hand priming tool most. Maybe the title of the post kept some progressive users away, skewing the results a bit. I was expecting the results to be fairly evenly distributed between hand priming tools, progressive users, and the other categories combined. In retrospect, I should have been able to judge what the majority use based on the number of different hand priming tools on the market, given the manufacturers should know the pulse of the industry. This brings up the chicken and egg question of: Are the hand priming tools widely available because they are so popular or are they so popular because they are so widely available?

I had never considered priming cases on the progressive press other than those that were being loaded on the progressive. This is feasible for some calibers that use the same shellplate as another caliber that I am loading on the progressive, but I don't think I can justify buying a shellplate for priming a given caliber. Thanks to those that pointed out this option.

Thanks to all who voted and/or posted replies.