PDA

View Full Version : 69 cal rifled BP barrel

mpkunz
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I have had no luck at all locating a .69 cal rifled BP barrel for shooting the Lyman 730 grain Minie bullets. I'm at the point now where every time I come up with a new way to search, the list of hits is already all color changed, indicating I have already been there. Does anyone have someone that they *KNOW* makes and/or sells such a barrel ?

JMtoolman
08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
There is a fellow down near Eugene Oregon who makes large ML barrels. Someone here should know the name of the shop. I think his name is Joe Williams but am not sure. The toolman.

drhall762
08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I am clueless but I will ask a few guys I know with much more knowledge about this stuff than I have. I do know that 150 years ago, give or take a few decades, that caliber was very popular among British hunters in Africa. Now, you might want to PM a guy here on this board who builds some real big rifles, like 2 bore. He might know. His handle here is Stolzerandsons. Please post what ever you find out. I'd like to know.

fouronesix
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
That's a tough one. Surely someone can do it. You could find a US M1842 barrel and have it rifled. That conversion was done quite a bit during the Civil War. I don't know how the end product would turn out though. The "purpose built" rifled 69 calibers of the Civil War period were very uncommon with the M 1861 Navy "Plymouth" rifle being one that comes to mind.

I can assure you shooting a 69 cal 700+ gr minie is a real blast and the recoil not too bad if you keep the charges reasonable. There's something about launching a pound of lead downrange with ten shots :)

I imagine you've scoured the net looking and may have called them but I see that Whitacre's Machine Shop lists 69 cal rifled barrels. I know nothing about the company but have run across their listing a few times. Also, both Lodgewood and S&S Firearms end up with odds and ends sometimes.

KCSO
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Have you tried the Friedschutzs shop yet, he use to cut large caliber barrels I used a 62 from there about.... wow 20 years ago???

drhall762
08-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Danny Whitacre http://www.whitacresmachineshop.com/ comes recommended as on source. Bobby Hoyt might be another source. He relines .69 caliber barrels and makes other barrels.

varsity07840
08-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a Whitacre .69 cal rifled barrel and several Hoyt rifled relines on originals. They all shoot great. BUT, they are round, tapered musket barrels. If you're looking for an octagon then you'll have to search elsewhere, perhaps Rayl or Oregon. Regardless, why would you want to shoot that big minie? Unless you're building a rifle in the 12-14 pound range, the recoil from that bullet, even with the 70gr original service load is going to loosen your fillings. They're hard to find now, but I shoot the Rapine 500 gr.semi wadcutter which is more accurate and a lot less punishing. I use it in my rifled muskets and it also shoots well in a Forsythe 1/90 twist shallow groove roundball barrel, even with up to 120 gr 2F charges. That barrel is 1 1/4'' straight octagon and the rifle weighs around 14 pounds. Not a still hunting rifle.

Duane

Forgot to mention. Bobby Hoyt would probably build you an octagon .69.

Nobade
08-08-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.thegunworks.com/

These guys can make what you want.

-Nobade

fouronesix
08-08-2013, 08:28 PM
That Lyman 730 gr 69 cal minie is a good design. That's what I shoot in an original 9 1/2 lb M61 Navy over 55 gr FF BP. Everyone's tolerance to recoil is different and I don't particularly like heavy recoil either but that combination is not bad even on the bags at the bench.

To me unpleasant muzzleloader recoil is when the comb starts numbing/bruising my cheek. That's what a heavy BP load under a Maxiball does in a 54 cal T/C Renegade.

John Taylor
08-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I have made a few 72 caliber barrels but don't have the tooling for a 69. It would require a bore reamer and cutter box to make one. If there was enough call for them I might set up to do that size.

mpkunz
08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the links. Trying them right now.

drhall762
08-09-2013, 03:29 PM
As an aside, while I am sure you have a plan, the Navy's Whitneyville-Plymouth rifle is pretty interesting. I found most of the reproduction parts over at S&S and the last couple, short of the barrel, look to be a fairly straight forward fabrication/modification of existing parts. Something to look at if you are undecided.

bob208
08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
bob hoyt can do it

fouronesix
08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Not mentioned in your OP, but if you are thinking about hunting with it- there is little doubt it would do the job at reasonable (accurate) range.

Out of curiosity and for comparison to other ML projectiles, cast bullets and Jbullets- I did a penetration test with my .69 rifle using the pure lead Lyman minie using the same media as I've used for all penetration tests. I tried to adjust the load to simulate about a 50 yard impact velocity of 750 fps. The results astounded me. As much penetration as other 50 and 54 cal ML conicals like the Maxiball, etc. and as much as any of the premium hunting Jbullets out of center fires. I expected at least some nose flattening even at the relatively low velocity, but there was nearly zero nose distortion and 99+% weight retention. The only visible damage to the minie was some scrape marks along the ogive and down the shank. The only bullets that have equaled or exceeded it, for the ones I've tested, have been the medium to large bore Jbullet "solids" designed specifically for max penetration.

mpkunz
08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
I contacted Daniel Whitacre yesterday afternoon and he came through with a price last night. A check is already in the mail. Thanks very much for that tip to drhall762. I was unable to reach Bob Hoyt. I went to www.thegunworks.com but they were only resellers and had nothing in .69 cal.

mpkunz
08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks. I'll share some pix when the project progresses some. I'm gathering parts now. The plan is to build a "minimalist flintlock" with no wood on it all.

StolzerandSons
08-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I went to www.thegunworks.com but they were only resellers and had nothing in .69 cal.
Joe Williams is a custom barrel maker, and I know for fact he can cut a .69 caliber barrel in any twist rate and depth of groove that you want. http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=503&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

HTH

Colin

Nobade
08-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi Colin,

He is the one who made those 2 bore barrels for you isn't he?

-Nobade

junkpile
08-15-2013, 07:15 PM
How about John Taylor? I think he rifles barrels.

edit: disregard. Didn't see John's post.

mpkunz
08-16-2013, 06:08 PM
My .69 cal barrel from Dan Whitacre arrived this morning. I mailed him the check on Saturday. Now that is quick service. Looks like it has 3 grooves. My eBay purchase CVA flintlock arrived yesterday. Looks like I will get to start working on my project next week already. This is great. I want to have this on the range before school begins in September. Never any time once that kicks in.