PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Turret Press

gene10pntr
08-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Do any of you own this press and what do you think of it?

novalty
08-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Member ncbearman has one, and as far as I am aware he has been happy with it.

gene10pntr
08-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I figure they must be half way decent,you can't find them anywhere,but all equipment and supplies is for that matter.

Guardian
08-08-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11843/guntechdetail/Handloading___The_Wandering_Narrative_Part_II

Hopefully this will help you.

gene10pntr
08-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks Guardian...looks like I should have maybe got the Redding?

Guardian
08-09-2013, 01:43 PM
:groner: Sorry, I didn't realize you already had one. I thought it was a question for a prospective purchase. I'm sure the RCBS will do well.

The RCBS turret press appears to support the rear of the turret in a similar fashion as the Redding. I had a Lyman turret given to me to get me started in reloading that the turret mount bolt broke on from lack of turret support on the side opposite the ram. Resizing 270 brass got the better of it one day. Bottom line, support on the rear of the turret is critical to life of the press.

I have a Redding T7, but I choose to resize rifle brass on my Rock Chucker. I use the turret press for the other steps. I'm sure this is being overly cautious, but since I have the option to use multiple presses I use them.

The better question is, how do you like your RCBS turret press?

Again, my apologies. It was not my intent to disparage the press you have.

gene10pntr
08-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't have one yet,but it's on order. :)

g5m
08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I doubt the RCBS will let you down. Over what in the linked article are you concerned? 0.001" difference in concentricity?

It looks like any one of the three reviewed presses will serve based on the review. RCBS has superb customer service. I don't know about Redding as I only have very little in the way of Redding products.

liliysdad
08-13-2013, 01:50 AM
I inherited one from my father, and so far, I really like it. I think the Redding T7 is probably a little beefier, but I have no complaints. I really like the on press priming system. Works very well.

gene10pntr
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
My press is finally on it's way....waiting for the brown truck now! :)

gray wolf
08-14-2013, 03:38 PM
I got one 14 years ago and it's still going strong. Have loaded many 270 Win. cases and all kinds of pistol. Didn't read the article but any concentric problems I ever had were cause of dies, not the press. It's a good press.
The primer catcher sucks.

Shooter6br
08-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Love mine Trouble free. Can load a box of 50 pistol in 20 min. Family memeber (unknown.) Broke cast zinc primer attachment. RCBC replaced no cost. Also spent primer dirt can "gum up" mechcanism the goes to primer catcher. Easy to clean( DONT USE CLEANER THAT CAN DISSSOLVE PLASTIC I DID)
Pres is 15 yrs old. Need Lyman powder die and measure

Shooter6br
08-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Turret press with Hornady pistol measure(discontinued) and Lyman powder/expander die)79179

ncbearman
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
To the original OP. I ended up with this as I have reloaded since I was a teenager on the single stage Jr. press. I shoot about once a week at paper and steel. I have a short range on my property and sometimes go down there just to take out some frustrations. I load for pleasure and for price. I take my time and often let the press sit "ready" for a day or two between sessions. This press with the accompanying RCBS or Lyman dies is very accurate and consistent. My Dad started with green equipment back in the 50's and I have carried on with that. I too like what I hear about Redding and also Pacific stuff. IMHO just about all the equipment in this price range will be fine for you. It's just a matter of knowing what you want. And the way to find that out is to load.......for me, after years of single stage loading having a press where there is a finished boolit coming off each time and not having to go progressive was very appealing to me. I am very satisfied with the Turret. My Jr. now sits next to it de-capping and boolit pulling :)

ncbearman
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
gene10pntr

So how do you like your turret? Lets hear it.

Boolseye
09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
It's what I have and I love it. I like the fact that it's basically a manual, multi-stage press, because I'm always switching dies and doing different jobs on it. I have no problem with the priming system, works for me. I did have to replace the little primer deflector that sets in the ram, and RCBS replaced it free. They stand by their products, no questions asked.

1hole
09-29-2013, 09:04 PM
"Where the front side of the frame is open, like the Redding Ultra Mag .... they are referred to as "C" type presses. As a design they are not as strong as the "O" press,"

When Brownell's 'expert writer' said that I quit reading. Not only is Redding's Ultra-mag an "O" press, it's unquestionably the strongest and highest leverage standard reloading press on the market. The fact that the top of the O is completed with the swing arms doesnt prevent it from being an O. Not many need it because it's massive over kill for most any reloading needs but the great strength and leverage is there for those who want it and are willing to pay the price.

I started reloading with an iron six hole turret press in '65, thought surely it would be an advantage, right? Wrong; I still have it but rarely use it. When I want precision I use a single stage, when I want volume I use a progressive. Turrrets offer the worst of both worlds and have virtually no advantages unless you only load for one or two catridges. I commonly reload for several and have dies for more than 25; six holes really don't help much and it takes less than a minute to exchange dies in a single stage anyway.

savagetactical
09-30-2013, 11:33 AM
I can honestly say the Redding Turret Press is about as good as it gets at least it was for me. I miss mine, I liked the Lyman also it worked well when I owned one.

r1kk1
09-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Not to take away from the thread but the Ultramag is a tad taller than my Champion. I like it to use LNL bushings in it. It weighs about the same as the Champion but not as large as the ram on the CH press. I have seriously looked at the T-7 but decided on the Ultramag instead. The next RCBS press I would buy is the Summit and hope it has a greatly improved primer disposal system.

Take care

r1kk1