PDA

View Full Version : Feed problems with cast.

Muddydogs
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
I am having some feed problems with Lee C309-170F sized to .310(yes the mold throws .310 to .311 bullets) in my Win 94. The nose of the bullet is just barely hanging up on the magazine tube and not allowing the round to be pushed up into the chamber. Cases are trimmed to minimum case length and bullets are seated so the mouth of the case is at the top edge of the crimp groove. My plan is to trim the cases .005 to .010 shorter then minimum case length and seat the bullet in the same place. Is this the right thing to do or should I seat the bullets so the case mouth falls on the front drive band?

Calamity Jake
08-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Try trimming shorter if that doesn't work then seat to the top of the front drive band and crimp over it.

CyberPirate
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
This sounds similar to my problem, I think I am using the same boolit, gas check and all, but mine is sized to .308. But mine is chambering, with a little extra force.

Muddydogs
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
This sounds similar to my problem, I think I am using the same boolit, gas check and all, but mine is sized to .308. But mine is chambering, with a little extra force.

I read your other post and every once in a while I get the same thing where the round will not just slide into the chamber but hangs up 1/4 inch or less from seating but will seat fine when the bolt is closed. I ejected a couple of these and didn't see any rifling marks on the bullet. I chalked it up to the mixed head stamp brass I am using for my light lead loads. I use the same head stamp for full power loads but when it comes to light plinking loads I throw all the miscellaneous brass together and load away.

What made me mad was I loaded up some work up loads, probably about 20 and these cycled through the rifle fine. After selecting a powder charge I loaded up a few more and shot them just to make sure I was happy but I loaded these into the chamber one at a time on the shooting bench. I then went and loaded 150 rounds up, went camping and decided to shot a few, well guess what now all of a sudden they won't feed and my rifle is now a single shot. I did get to show the kids how the Cowboys use to hold a few extra rounds between there fingers for quick reloads when the mag tube ran dry. Theirs always something new with reloading.

CyberPirate
08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
You are absoluetly right in that there is always somthing new, ive reloaded for my ruger vaquero for years with no trouble, cast my own boolits, now all this, but its the diffrence between a pistol and a rifle i guess

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
When it "hangs up", is the cartridge parallel with the barrel or still at a nose-up angle? If nose-up, it might be the bullet nose hitting the "shoulder" of the chamber.