PDA

View Full Version : 4 MOA Ultradot

Tatume
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Hello Folks,

While I'm packing up my Burris pistol scope that was broken by my 44 Magnum Super Redhawk, I went ahead and ordered an Ultradot red dot sight. We'll see how that works out. It appears to be a nice looking sight. At 5.1" long and with a one inch tube, it should fit the Super Redhawk perfectly in scale. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Take care, Tom

Baja_Traveler
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I have one on my .22 Contender that I was using for .22 pistol silhouette. I really like using it - the ability to adjust both dot size and brightness according to ambient lighting makes for a fantastic combination. I think you made the right choice...

NSB
08-07-2013, 01:02 PM
78540 You're going to like the red dot better than any scope you ever had on a handgun. The UltraDot is A+. Here's what it looks like on a Super Black Hawk

gray wolf
08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I got to use one on my SRH and it was great. It also was the 4 MOA fixed dot.
The dot covers 4" at 100 2" at 50 and about an inch at 25
Not to fast at close range as in animal attacks, but for hunting and target shooting
I thought it was a great scope. I think he paid near 200 for it.
I like the fiber optic sights but I will save up for an ultra dot, as soon as I save up for a loading book, I saw the new Lyman loading book and thought is was a nice book. Anyway I don't think you will be unhappy with the ultra dot.

22cf45
08-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Like NSB said, you are going to like it better than any regular scope. I've had UltraDot's on my Bullseye pistols for many years. Without doubt I've put way more than 100,000 rounds down range with a 1911 .45 that has the UltraDot mounted on the slide. That's a lot of banging around without a single problem.
Phil

27judge
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Ive just bought/mounted two of them one on a super black hawk and just recently a bfr 500jrh. I have yet to shoot one but I do find they are very fast to bring back on target and seem to hold much more stready then 2or 4 power scope tkls ken

Mal Paso
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Ultra Dot is great with 44 Mag but clean the mounting screws and holes with Chemtool or the like and use half a drop of Blue Loctite.

44man
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Only thing I use. Be careful of the adjustable dot with any make, seen them change POI with a dot change. Stay with the fixed 4" dot.
I prefer the 30 MM for hunting but the 1" works fine too.
Do not use Loc-Tite on rings, use red on base screws and once tight put torque on the screwdriver and tap the handle with a small hammer.
I found the rings that come with the dot work fine and for big guns like the JRH I use three.
Avoid putting a ring over glass on any red dot. I use the extension for a ring. I tighten the extension with a rubber strap wrench, Sears sells a good one cheap.
This is my .500. 78621

Tatume
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Avoid putting a ring over glass on any red dot. I use the extension for a ring. I tighten the extension with a rubber strap wrench, Sears sells a good one cheap.

I'm concerned that I won't have much choice in ring placement. The sight is going on a Ruger Super Redhawk in Ruger rings. I'm even a little concerned that the scope won't fit between the rings. I'll find out when it gets here, of course.

Thanks, Tom

Viper225
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I have a pair of 480 Ruger Super RedHawks. I have a 1" UltraDot on my extra one, and a 30MM on the one I hunt with. You will really like it.

EDIT: Tom no problem with Ruger Factory Rings. I am using the 1" rings that came with one SRH, and swapped the 1" that came on the other with Ruger for the Target Grey 30mm ones. Like was said above install the extension that comes with the UltraDot. The UltraDot has NO Focus Issues. It will work on a Rifle with 3" Eye Relief or on your Super RedHawk at arms length. Makes no difference to the UltraDot which it is on. I have used the 1" UltraDot on my 10-22 for Rimfire Two Gun Matches before setting up an AR15-22 with the NEW UltraDot 6.

With the Dot size being 2" at 50 yards and 4" at 100 yards. What I do when sighting in, is cut out some circles from Bright White card stock a little bigger than the dot at the yardage I will be shooting, and stick the dots to a contrasting color such as card board with spray adheasive. The result is that you can center the Dot better with a Halo of White around it.

2011 Deer season I tagged out with both an 8 Point Buck as well as a Full Size Doe on my Antlerless ONLY Tag.
2012 Deer Season I tagged a nice 10 Point, and did not tag a Doe due to loosing several deer to Black Tongue just before season.
I Counted Coup on Does and small bucks all deer season with the SRH and UltraDot.

The 30mm has a lot more field of view. Much better for hunting.

My brother is getting ready to order a 30mm for his Contender.

I have had great luck dealing with UltraDot West. Heather takes good care of us shooters. http://www.ultradotwest.com/
NOTE: UltraDot West also carries a Scope Coat for the Standard UltraDots. A good investment, I have two of them.
The UltraDot 25 is the 1" tube size.
The UltraDot 30 is the 30mm version.

Bob

gray wolf
08-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I don't know how it effects the 1'' tube, but take note the 30MM does not give you a 30MM lenses. The tube is 30 MM but the glass is about 1"
My Nikon red dot uses full 30MM glass with a little larger tube.
Don't get me wrong, the 30MM is a great piece of equipment
Just adding a slight side not. If you put it on a SRH with the ruger rings you wont have much choice as to ring placement. It will be about 1/8'' on each side of the larger portion of the tube. Keep the gap between the two ring halves even as possible and don't over tighten them, not loose naturally but don't crush the tube.
I hated to take it off my SRH, I have used many red dot scopes and I think the Ultra dot 4 MOA is a fine piece of gear.

44man
08-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Many will not fit between Ruger rings but the straight 30mm and 1" will fit. Others have larger turrets. Ruger will swap 1" rings for 30mm free if not used.

doghawg
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I've got four 30mm UD's with 4 min dot and have had no complaints. I do think they should drop the price about 2 bucks and forget the rings though.

Ammohouse
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Here's what a Ultradot Matchdot looks like on a SBHH...I love them!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/2Knives/002-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/2Knives/media/002-1.jpg.html)

Tatume
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Today I mounted a Burris 4 MOA red dot sight on a rifle just for fun. I happened to have this sight and never used it, but it doesn't fit the Super Redhawk (without a Weaver adaptor, that is). To my considerable surprise, it was easy to shoot one inch groups at 100 yards from prone! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the Ultradot.

Take care, Tom

NSB
08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Folks,

Today I mounted a Burris 4 MOA red dot sight on a rifle just for fun. I happened to have this sight and never used it, but it doesn't fit the Super Redhawk (without a Weaver adaptor, that is). To my considerable surprise, it was easy to shoot one inch groups at 100 yards from prone! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the Ultradot.

Take care, Tom

I put one on my somewhat new Win 1886 45-70 and I'm getting 5 shot groups between 1.5-1.5". Just center the dot inside the bull and you can shoot some pretty respectable groups. I'm pretty impressed with both the red dot and the accuracy of this lever gun in such a large caliber.

44man
08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
The front prizm on the Burris or Bushnell, the glass that you see the dot on, will pull loose from the cheap Chinese glue. I take the thing apart with the rubber strap wrench and glue the glass back in place with Accra glass or steel bed. The glass MUST NOT be turned, put it back just as you see it.
The adapter is a Weigand, Weaver never made one. Works like a charm. Ruger makes rings too close together.

Tatume
08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
The Ultradot arrived today. It took about five minutes to install and it went very easily with no hiccups. Tomorrow I'll shoot it, expecting great success. It looks good too!

44man
08-13-2013, 09:00 PM
With old eyes like mine, there is nothing better for hunting in any light. I shoot scopes for target from a rest a little better but not much. I suck off hand with a scope. You can shoot as well as a scope with the right target to center and better yet is a 3D target like a can. I hate paper.
I think you will like it and please show how it does for you.