PDA

View Full Version : Skinner Receiver Sights for 1894 and 336 Marlins?

Dutch4122
10-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Been looking at the web sight for Skinner Sights. Gotta say that I do like what I see; and I've been thinking about ordering one for my 1894 Marlin.

Question is does anybody on this board use the Skinner Receiver Sights and how do you like them?

For those who don't have the link for the websight here ya go:

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

TIA,

9.3X62AL
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I would like to hear commentary as well. I see Mr. Skinner offers a NICE post front sight as well at a great price, and am wondering if a taller post is needed with his rear sights on the 94's. I'm talking 150 yard shots at maximum.

Pepe Ray
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
I like his front sights a lot, Especially the price, Wow!!
The rear is/appears to me to be not so. Here's why
The whole premise of increased accuracy with an aperture rear sight is based on the "Ghost ring" principal. You should NOT be able to view the sight itself. You should be looking THROUGH the sight. Skinners sight is setting too far forward. You can't possibly avoid seeing the sight as you try to use it. At the same time it blocks a significant portion of the target. I can see no reason why he designed it this way. Seems to me the mounting holes could be located in front of the appi. as well as using the rear holes on the receiver.
I'd put this sight in the same place as the ORH sight which attracted some attention recently, (file 13).
$0.02, Pepe Ray

NVcurmudgeon
10-13-2007, 01:13 PM
The Skinner sight appeals to me on two counts. It is available in STEEL. Lyman chapped my hide when they went to aluminum bases. Also, the price is reasonable. As to whether the lump on the side (Lyman/Williams) is preferable to Skinner's lump on top "you pays your money and takes your choice." I can see Pepe Ray's point about being able to see the sight. OTOH I have been amazed at the accuracy experienced with issue aperture sights on Japanese military rifles by ignoring everything in the world but the front sight. Of course I have an unfair advantage, being in an advanced state of geezerdom. The Arisaka rear sight is located forward of the receiver, exactly coinciding with my minimum visibility distance. Skinner's sight will be considered for my next Marlin. One of you guys hurry up and buy one and report back.

9.3X62AL
10-13-2007, 01:25 PM
In perusing the site, one buyer commented that a .375" front sight height worked perfectly for his application with the Skinner rear sight. FWIW.

The NEGC rear sight for the Ruger dovetails has this same downside that Pepe Ray reports. I have used the NEGC for about 3 years now, and while not "ideal" it beats that Lyman folding open sight factory thing all hollow.

LGS
10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I use his sight on both my 444 and 45-70. I have had nothing but good results. This past spring I used my 444 to take a nice black bear in Quebec. I practiced with this sight for a year before going and it never gave me a problem nor worked lose. You will have to find the right front sight hight for your gun. Some dont like the windage adjustment due to no screw. You must slide it. I like them.

NVcurmudgeon
10-14-2007, 03:06 AM
9.X62AL, Nevada Duke has "made" a very serviceable post front sight for his .44M 1894 by cutting off the gold bead and filing a flat on what's left. I have learned to like the original gold bead in combination with a Lyman 66 for can and clay busting. My infamous stepson, Jaremy, won the iron sight rifle offhand trophy at this year's Winnemucca shoot with the same rifle, but I think that has more to do with 22 year old eyes than any partcular sighting arrangement.

mark348
10-14-2007, 02:27 PM
mr. skinners sights look like winners to me, i use peep sights on all my levers, the most recent being an "xs" installed on my 95/405. the style is similar and is not mounted too far forward, and skinner's price is very reasonable.had i been aware of this sight i may well have used it on the 95 if skinner would be willing to cut a shorter base. you just can't beat a large peep/partridge sight combo in low light such as dark timber.i would recomend a brass front sight,,,, blacken the sight then polish the face of the blade,,,,glows in the timber,,,good life insurance in silvertip country.

Old Ironsights
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I would like to hear commentary as well. I see Mr. Skinner offers a NICE post front sight as well at a great price, and am wondering if a taller post is needed with his rear sights on the 94's. I'm talking 150 yard shots at maximum.

Yes Yes Yes!

I ordered a pair of custom (to my spec) Front Sights for my Rossi.

IIRC $10 each. Amazing turnaround. Work like a champ. I ordered a .385 x .050 blade (taller and skinnier than factory) and brought my groups down and tight IMMEDIATELY.

5 shot 1" groups at 50yds - mainly because I don't have the front sight occcluding my entire target.