PDA

View Full Version : Lyman, fire up the printing press already!!!

Maximumbob54
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I started with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition and I'm sure many here have done the same. I've heard this book scoffed at by some but it's still a good start for many and it never hurts to have alternate sources of data available. But they really need to add to the selections of molds available!!!! Maybe it's time for an alternate online load data section similar to what Alliant and Hodgdon both use.

Am I the only one that wishes Lyman would get the lead out and print a new book or at least offer some new tested data with more molds all available online???

fecmech
08-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Are you kidding? It took them 30 years between the 3rd and 4th edition!

Dusty Bannister
08-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition copyright 1980
Only Lyman mold data.
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition copyright 2010
Adds Lee, RCBS and Saeco mold data.

I am pretty happy with both editions. But also have several others to fill in where needed. I find it hard to complain about having this information only three years old. Perhaps I have missed the point of the OP?

Smoke4320
08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
publishing the data online gets them no income .. waiting 30 years to make a book well ..I would bet most people on this site bought edition 4

John Boy
08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Dusty, couldn't agree with you more ...
Add:
* Handloader Cartridge Conversions
* Cartridges of the World
* The 1939 & 1952 Ideal Handloading Manuals
* Lyman 49Th Edition Reloading Handbook
... pretty much all one needs for bullet and loading data

gray wolf
08-06-2013, 05:46 PM
All I have is the Lyman 45th addition loading book, I keep wanting a more up to date book-- but it seems every month I get my check it just don't leave enough to cover a book. I try to ask questions here and do some looking on the net.
But I know what you guys mean, it's nice to have a good book in front of you.
A fella at the range had the new Lyman reloading book and he let me look at it.
Wow it's thick and seem to be nicely done.

MattOrgan
08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
The Lyman 4th edition is a great addition to any bookshelf. The range of data and the first time with data for other manufacturers molds is outstanding. The beauty of cast bullets is that you can extrapolate the data for for molds not listed pretty easily and not run into pressure problems. The old Lyman handbooks are a treasure trove and I buy everyone I see that plugs a hole in my library. I still use my 1, 2, and 3rd editions of the cast bullet manuals too. I can't see the need for a new addition just yet. On line data if fine, but there is nothing like a book.

Maximumbob54
08-07-2013, 06:19 AM
I didn't realize it took thirty years to get to number 4...! I guess I'm used to a new reloading manual coming out every other year. I know I started with the 6th edition Hornady book and they are now up to the 9th edition. I haven't been reloading that long...

btroj
08-07-2013, 06:53 AM
I hate to think of what it costs to do some of that testing. The man hours involved must be pretty costly. Add in printing costs and other expenses and I wonder if it is worth while for Lyman to even do it.

ku4hx
08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Over the years I've collected 20 or so hardcopy hand loading type manuals. My oldest one is Ideal's Handbook #38 copyrighted in 1951. When you add in all the online stuff I've got double that at least.

The problem is it's far easier and quicker to build equipment of all sorts than assemble totally comprehensive manuals to use that equipment. By the time the latest all encompassing manual is published, it's already missing a whole lot of stuff. The published data on equipment and its usage and such will always lag, say, the mold makers.

I read on a forum (this one I believe) the statement "hand loading is not hand holding". I'd been acknowledging that for years without putting a name to it. I just called it "interpolation": using similar data to work up a load in a safe manner.

I like new things too, but given Lyman's publishing rate I'd guess the 5th edition is a few years away. In the meantime, I just print stuff to .pdf files where possible and assemble my own manuals after a fashion.

Larry Gibson
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I hate to think of what it costs to do some of that testing. The man hours involved must be pretty costly. Add in printing costs and other expenses and I wonder if it is worth while for Lyman to even do it.

Absolutely correct! Additionally the liability of publishing data is enormous for a commercial company. Development of load data has changed considerably the last 20 years. It's not a matter of shooting a 3 shot group across a chrony.......

Probably 95+% of data in "new" editions is just a repeat from the previous edition.

Lyman's 3rd & 4th CBH editions are the most comprehensive available for cast bullet loading. Unless you have exactly the same components from the same lots and identical test firearms som extrapolation of the data will be necessary. It is why ALL MANUALS state emphatically to start with the start loads and work up to the max load or when pressure signs appear. That is very good advice which, unfortunately, is not headed by users of internet data and even by many manual users.......

Larry Gibson

mdi
08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
My "problem" is not with the data section of the 4th Edition, but the "articles" section. Not a whole lot there for info casting, alloying, etc., unless you're into black powder cartridge casting and shooting...

Larry Gibson
08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
My "problem" is not with the data section of the 4th Edition, but the "articles" section. Not a whole lot there for info casting, alloying, etc., unless you're into black powder cartridge casting and shooting...

Exactly why one needs both the 3rd & 4th editions of the CBH. As much as I like, respect and agree with Mike V I was greatly disappointed by the lack of more and greater cast bullet subject matter in the 4th edition.

Larry Gibson

Cosmiceyes
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I started with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition and I'm sure many here have done the same. I've heard this book scoffed at by some but it's still a good start for many and it never hurts to have alternate sources of data available. But they really need to add to the selections of molds available!!!! Maybe it's time for an alternate online load data section similar to what Alliant and Hodgdon both use.

Am I the only one that wishes Lyman would get the lead out and print a new book or at least offer some new tested data with more molds all available online???

I agree that it's the worst of the publications. I sent mine back,as it just had a few of the new cartridges on the scene. It subtracted by a real count 33 cartridges from the 3rd edition. I think they spent to much money on the washout Italian author from West Virginia. After to actual run ins with him at gun events in his early years where in a fit of rage he threw his guns down range as he couldn't hit anything. They were both IHMSA events. Then to find half a "Tech Manual" with his own made up embellishments about his lack luster life as the main read!!!! Please!!! Again it is supposed to be a technical manual not a fairy tale.

leadman
08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
If Lyman published a new manual every other year would the members here get tired of providing some of the data for the manual? Don't know if you remember the big name author that was posting here before the manual was released, but very little since.
Actually if one reads the new Lee second edition manual it provides a way to come up with alot of loading info. I am just getting started in figuring out how it works but seems credible.

BruceB
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
The First Edition, 'way back in the '50s, had a LOT of data provided by individuals... but without much detail, and with ESTIMATED velocities.

Any company printing data from individuals would be taking ASTRONOMICAL risks in today's liability climate.

Forget that!

detox
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I remember someone and lots of others stating that the 3rd edition was full of old wives tales such as using candle wax as a flux. Wax (Vita Flux) is all i use in my bottom pour pot.

I like both editions.

gray wolf
08-07-2013, 09:43 PM
spent to much money on the washout Italian author from West Virginia. Perhaps we can get a Burl Ives look a like wanna bee to do a better job.

dragon813gt
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm just waiting for Lee to compile data from all the manufacturers and put out a new edition. I don't bother pulling the Lyman books off the shelf. To little powder and bullet data. I know everyone has their personal preferences but I find the data very limited in the Lyman books. I could say the same thing w/ Hornady's manuals but I use their bullets unlike Lyman molds :)

detox
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
The LEE manual has a verygood casting and reloading section. I trust the Lee manual more as far as "357 loading pressures" are concerned

MaryB
08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Kindle versions would be nice...

beagle
08-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Publishing a manual is an astronomical task. Publishing a "safe" manual is hard, even if you don't include pressure data. I recall working on a series of articles with some of you years ago (now on castpics) and that was a job from my perspective and I'm surprised that we achieved what we did.

The cost of doing a project like that would be akin to the national debt.

It would be nice to have but cost prohibitive. Collect all the manuals and sources, use what you have and safely interpolate data in some cases is the best we can do. There is no catch all manual and we will never have one.

I started back reloading shotshells several years ago and had to immediately purchase a new manual as the cases I had were newer than the manual as were the wads and primers. Seems like that facet of reloading changes more than any other part of the loading hobby. What a can of worms it is too.

Oh well, be happy with what we have I guess./beagle

Four-Sixty
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I have been perusing my copy of the Lyman 49th manual. They make some interesting contentions in there.
1) It is unsafe to shoot a bottleneck case more than 8 times.
2) It is unsafe to shoot a belted case more than 4 times.
3) It is unsafe to shoot a straight walled rifle case more than a number of times in between 4 and 8 times. A long winded way of saying 6 times?
4) There is no such thing as a brush cartridge. All bullets deflect. Nose profile has nothing to do with a bullet deflecting or not.
5) Neck sizing only is a bad idea. You should only full length resize.