PDA

View Full Version : POI Change Due to Muzzle Bling?

fourarmed
08-06-2013, 03:05 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of the various gunlight/laser combinations to hang on the dustcover rail on my fixed-sight M&P .45 auto. How much of a change in point of impact would this be likely to produce?

Tatume
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
It is likely to produce no change.

gray wolf
08-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Do you mean from the extra weight of the devise ? If so I don't think you will see a difference you can notice.
The laser gets sighted in, to hit point of aim, and the irons work as usual.

BCRider
08-08-2013, 12:42 AM
If it was a revolver I'd say that it would be significant and easily noticed. But semi's work a little differently. Much of the initial recoil is absorbed by the spring and motion in the slide. The frame only begins to kick up to a noticeable degree once the slide is back far enough that the bullet has already left.

fourarmed
08-08-2013, 04:06 PM
OK, I bought it, installed it, and shot two national match courses in bullseye league last night. At 25 yards it seemed to make about a 2" difference - shooting lower than usual. Instead of holding at 6 o'clock, I held center, and shot the best scores I have shot with that gun. The extra weight at the muzzle really tamed the movement of the gun, and tightened my groups considerably. This gun has been hard for me to shoot well one-handed with its fixed sights, relatively light weight, and heavy trigger. I won't be retiring my 1911 red dot gun, but last night's scores were within less than 20 points of what I can shoot with it.