PDA

View Full Version : Luck of the Irish? K-32

Bret4207
10-13-2007, 07:20 AM
But I'm not Irish!

I finally got a chance to load up some 32 Long brass during 1 of my 2 vacation days out of 9 that I didn't have kids or SWMBO hanging around. I didn't have much in the way of sized boolits so I made up 80 rounds with the Hornady 90 swaged SWC and 20 with the GB Lee Soup Can, all backed by 1.9 gr Bullseye. The Crimping groove on the Soup Can put the SWC just about right so I lucked out there. Yesterday I only had a 4 year old to "help me" so we went down to the sand pit. First groups with the SWC were okay, about 2" at 20 yards. Then I tried the Soup Can. Well, that "undersize" .311 Soup Can made a 1 1/4" group! The nest one did the same. I backed off to 40 yards and still got a 2.5-3.0" group which is great considering the target I was using and my eyes with no glasses.

The only issue I had was sticking brass in the chambers. The primers look fine so I took another gander down the chambers. There appeared to be "gunk" of some sort in each chamber. I took it back to the house, after we threw rocks in the pond, collected rocks, dug holes in the sand, made handprints in the mud, caught frogs and generally did 4 year old stuff, and ran what brushes I had through it. Looks like baked on lead or grease. Might be the previous owner shot 32 S+W rather than longs and crudded up the chambers ala 22 short in a Long Rifle chamber.

Anyway, the Soup Can shoots great and that the point of all this.:-D

monadnock#5
10-13-2007, 09:34 AM
You got something good out of the day, and found time to create a memory in the mind of a 4 year old that he can treasure in the years ahead. You're happy, the kid's happy, and the Great Architect is smiling. A day to be proud of all around.

MT Gianni
10-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a good time. The soup can works again in ways that it shouldn't. Gianni

NVcurmudgeon
10-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Bret, dunno about soupcans, but a day with a four year old boy is a greater treasure than even a K-32.

Bret4207
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. The 4 year old is a girl, but I know what you mean.