PDA

View Full Version : Scope for 100 yard plinking

novalty
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I am thinking about adding a scope to my Marlin 336 (30-30) for bench shooting at 100 yards. Don't really need the best of the best, just something so I can see the target clear. Thinking probably a 3x9 power would be enough to meet my needs. Couple I have looked at online are Nikon's Pro-staff and Redfield's Revolution, as well as the Vortex Crossfire II. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Plus any recommended mounts.

runfiverun
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM
either of those should do just fine.
look at the cross hairs, and the clarity of the glass.
base your decision on each scope you handle.

Whiterabbit
08-06-2013, 12:46 PM
even 4x is fine for seeing the target clear. not sure you can go wrong with anything. Are you looking for the cheapest possible product that is still excellent for 100 yard plinking? Check out the bushnell banner 1-4. It's $85 or so. The glass clarity is unbeliveable for $85.

357Mag
08-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Novalty -

Howdy !
F.W.I.W. -
Go w/ all the magnification, you can stand & afford. Especialy... if your target work will be shot using things like a front rest and rear bag; etc.

Put out a wind flag(s)... even if its a simple strip of surveyor's tape stapled to a stick. Try to always shoot the same "condition".

With regards,
357Mag

novalty
08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Well I like the elevation and windage adjustments of the Nikon, but like the fact the Redfield is made in the USA. So I am leaning towards the Redfield, even though several reviews I read indicated mushy feel when adjusting windage/elevation.

Speedo66
08-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I've got a Nikon Pro-Staff on my Browning BLR. I went for the 2x7-32 because the size seems to be the right one for a lever action. The 40mm scopes just looked too big, seemed to spoil the lines of the rifle to me.

The scope itself is great.

novalty
08-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Guess I'll have to take a trip to my local Cabelas to take a look at some scopes in person.

Anyone recommend a good scope mount for the Marlin 336?

junkpile
08-06-2013, 11:19 PM
I have been influenced by the idea of buying as much magnification as possible in the past, and I have really regretted it. Everybody has their differences in opinion, and so it goes....

But I would recommend picking up the one that has the best clarity in your price bracket. I have been impressed with a lot of Nikon's scopes recently. As a side note, I don't actually own any of their scopes. I own mostly Leupold and Burris glass. The Nikon Monarchs I like especially. I have also heard a lot of good things about some of the Burris scopes recently. My Burris scopes are the older USA-made editions.

I personally think that a 2-7x would be more than sufficient for 100 yard plinking. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4x or maybe a 6x fixed for that range. Get the best glass you can, though. Clarity is better than magnification.

Slow Elk 45/70
08-07-2013, 12:48 AM
YUP, go to a good vendor...most will hav e scopes mounted on blank stocks so can get an feel and better idea what YOU like.
Have Fun, good luck

novalty
08-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I see Cabelas also carries the Burris E1 scope, which is a little more than I was intending to spend, but I like the fact that it has a 35mm lens so just a little larger than the Nikon & Redfield 2x7 scopes I have been looking at. Really like that all have a full warrantee as well.

flounderman
08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Personally, I wouldn't spend more for a scope than I spent for the gun. You said plinking and it's for a lever action, so you can't expect I/2 inch groups to start with. The weaver one piece base top mount will work as good as anything and cheaper than most other mounts. A fixed 4 power is all you need, Bushnell, Weaver, even tascos. I have some 4 power used Weavers I will sell, some could have rings on them, probably some Bushnells and some simmons. You don't need high magnification, large front lenses, or a lot of weight, for what you stated you would use the rifle for. You also don't need to spend a lot of money . You can buy a good Weaver K 2.5, 3, or 4 and the rings, used for 50-60 dollars. It's a good dependable scope and it looks and feels right on a lever action. If you want to hunt with it, it can handle the job, too.

TCFAN
08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Hard to go wrong with a good old steel tube Weaver K4......Terry

Greg B.
08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I have a Marlin 1895 that I put a Leupold fixed 4X on using a Leupold mount. Only problem was that I needed shims to get it sighted in. Leupold provided the shims for free.

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
OK I'll see if I can get this one to bite?

Have you tried a small Red Dot sight?

You are talking about plinking and shooting 100 yds. A Red Dot is perfect for this.

As far as accuracy goes... I sighted my new AR with a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot sight in today.

Bore sighted with laser. Shot dirt clods to buck in to 50 yds., then clay pigeon to fine tune at 50 yds. Then a dirt clod at 200 yds., then three clay pigeons at 200 yds. to fine tune 200 yd. Zero.

Then I shot two clays at 100 yds holding on the bottom edge. Bang, Bang,,, two dead clays. Then three more at 200 yds., just to make sure it wasn't an accident. Bang, Bang, Bang. Three dead clays.

If I can hit a 4" dia. Clay target at 200yds with a sight that weighs 3.2 oz., and zero magnification then it will surely do for any shooting you could want to do with a .30-30.

A Red Dot is the fastest way to get on target there is. Since you live in ME I can't help thinking you are a hunter as well, and if so, this sight will extend your shooting hours well past any normal crosshair that is not Illuminated magnified or not. I would not hesitate to install one on a guide gun or other carbine style rifle used as a woods gun where shots are normally going to be less than 200 yards and generally more like 60 yds. What do you need magnification for on a 60 yard shot?

You put the dot where you want to hit the animal and let fly! It is literally as simple as that. In fact you have to train yourself to pull the trigger faster since there is no point in studying the sights once the dot is where you want it (based on your preconceived sight picture,) you automatically pull the trigger. After a while it happens so fast you don't even have time to think about it.

I even have one for my Gunsite Scout, and it makes the gun much more handy to carry than the Leupold 3x9 VX-R that I use for shooting Longer Ranges. I can hit a man sized target with any of these guns at 200 yds. offhand 90% of the time, and 300 yds. off a rest every single shot. How much more accuracy does one need?

If you want to shoot bottle caps at 100 yds.then it probably ain't for you. Do you want to shoot bottle Caps? or Bottles?

I have 4 of these sights now and I am absolutely adamant that they are so worth the $90, it is a no brainer. I have not had one of them fail,move zero,or even kill a battery. They are the best value for the money for this type of sight out there, bar none.

Your Cabela's will have this sight. If they have one mounted on a stock then you can see how well they work. Believe me you will be amazed how fast they are. just playing with it even off a gun will impress.

The fact that holds many back is that they are just a little different than a regular scope type optic.

Be brave and try one. You will be sold the first time you go shooting.

Randy