PDA

View Full Version : Almost forgot what it was like!

Vulcan Bob
08-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi all, I was out at the range today shooting two Model ten S&W's using some "old stock" hand loads with commercial lead bullets. Holy barrel leading Batman, took me forever it seemed to remove the leading in them critters. I guess I have been spoiled by my non barrel leading home cast Boolits. The pity of it is that I have a lot of "old stock" stuff to convert to empty cases. Oh well, it seems one does have to pay for one's sins.

dsbock
08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
You could always melt them down and recast.

David

Bzcraig
08-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Pull the bullets, dump the powder, reload or shoot, then get the lead out. Tough decision. I too had some old reloads but thankfully were j-words.

Piedmont
08-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Take a few rounds of your personally cast bullets and loads along next time and after you shoot your commercial cast just fire perhaps 10 rounds of the good handloads. They will clean the lead from the bad loads out of your barrel. Simple and easy.

GabbyM
08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Sometimes dipping them in LLA (Lee Liquid Alox) lube will get enough grease in the bore so they shoot.

I still have a few hundred 44's loaded up with store bought cast. They lead from the chamber to the muzzle. I need to dip some and give that a try. They are crimped in new Starline brass and they don't pull well.

williamwaco
08-06-2013, 07:45 PM
You can salvage these . . .

See:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube_2.htm

exdxgxe4life
08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Isn't cleaning the fun part of going shooting? Pulling would take a lot of time. I recommend dipping them in Alox. I don't think it will alleviate your problem, but should help minimize it, and it's easy to do.