PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a Drill Dr.

kbstenberg
08-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I have read the instructions, watched the video multiple times and my bits come out as dull as before I sharpened them. Can someone help me???? PLEASE[smilie=b:[smilie=b: Kevin

zuke
08-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Look closely at the cutting edge. It should be the highest point when your done sharpening.

Walter Laich
08-06-2013, 02:50 PM
point should be centered also. if off to one side you need to grind only on one side to get it back in center

oldred
08-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Drill Doctors are either loved or hated and over on the machine forums they are generally considered a useless gimmick tool, that has been my experience also except for the ability to split points. While they can usually do a fairly decent job of sharpening it's just so much easier and quicker to do it on a bench grinder and using a grinder is not nearly as hard to learn as some seem to think, a simple inexpensive point gauge to center the point and set the angle will do as good or better when properly used as can be done with the Drill Doctor and done a whole lot quicker!

Ok, I know the question was how to use the Drill Doctor and not whether to use it or not so here are a couple of things that most people have trouble with,

First make SURE the bit is properly set up in the holder by being certain before it is tightened down that the two spring clips (for lack of a better description) are resting even on the drill flutes and the drill bit is being held as straight as practical. What I mean by even is the contact edges of the spring clips must rest directly across from each other and not have one or the other closer to the tool housing, even a little bit uneven and the drill bit will not grind with the right relief angle. Also that holder just needs to be snugged up really good and really tightening down on it will cause the bit to be uneven, it does not need to be very tight. If after everything else checks out ok, spring clips, bit straight, etc, and the relief angle/point is still not right then use the +/- adjustment to add or subtract from the angle. This adjustment is there to compensate for different bit flute designs and I even found that in rare cases some bits will need adjustment even past the lever detents in order to get them to cut properly.

Next thing is after the holder is placed in the grinder body it just needs to be turned and LIGHTLY held in not pushed on as it is turned as some are prone to want to do, pushing on it while turning causes uneven cutting.

Jeff Michel
08-07-2013, 07:50 AM
I bought a Drill Doctor when they first came out. They are not impossible to get good results but close. I found that the bit chuck would "slip" allowing the drill bit to revolve out of alignment or pushed back into the chuck usually both at the same time. Use a light hand and keep an eye on your progress and you will eventually have a sharpened drill bit. As mentioned prior, it does do bit splitting very well. Also pointed out, a decent bench grinder and a steel scale works better and faster. Just requires practice. As my eyes aren't what they used to be, the grinder route for me, is not very practical, I replaced my Drill Doctor with a Darex SP2500, quite a bit of difference in price but I sharpen a lot of drill bits. It's difficult to expect professional results with a lower priced piece of equipment. You may want to study some pictures of proper drill geometry, I think Cleveland Twist used to produce a brochure that explained what to look for in a properly designed/sharpened bit. Spend some time playing with it, study your results and it will come together. Good luck

cheese1566
08-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Seems like they get a bad rap...I still want one to try.

Anyone have one in the shop they want to get rid of?

seagiant
08-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi,
Well...I'm sort of baffled by the critiqe of this neat little machine so far. I love mine and also use one at work and think of it as indispensible if there is alot of holes to drill! I can also sharpen by hand using a drill point guage (most people can't!) I don't know what your problem is IF you are using regular jobber drill bits. I never use the split point feature on my Drill Doctor,never needed it.

I like the square early model, as the DD was a cheaper (plastic) copy of the DAREX ($3000) sharpener!

freebullet
08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Mine went back to the store after ruining several drill bits trying to figure it out.

catmandu
08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
My Dad has a small one and I bought a used bigger unit. Mine was inconsistant till I replaced the chuck. If the bit moves while sharpening or you don't chuck it right the grind will be off. Once I learned it - I use it allot. Its a tool, use it right and for what it was designed for and you get results.....

Just my 2 cents...

Paul in WNY