PDA

View Full Version : My first concoction! what the heck is it good for?

Animal
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, I cooked up my first lube ever. And by ever, I mean EVER. The only other lube I've fooled with is the blue hard stuff on the one box of cast boolits I bought from the store.

I got the recipe from a member named aarolar. I just saw it in a post he made in a thread and I realized I had those ingrediants on hand (Thanks to Dusy Banister for sending me the beeswax). It's 60%beeswax, 40%vasoline and a piece of crayon for color. I melted it down in a pan. Set my 158gr flat nose boolits sunny side up in the pan and let them harden. These boolits are "358 diameter" according to the box. I warmed up the boolits to let the original lube drip off of them first.

Just curious... does anyone have any idea of what I can expect with this sort of lube? my throats measured at .3595 but most of the bullets fit snugish. I have no intention size these boolits. Most of the boolits will have the residue on the bottom... will this hurt the powder charge?

btroj
08-05-2013, 09:34 PM
For lower end loads it will be fine. Simple can often work just fine.

Give em a go, bet they surprise you.

Animal
08-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Would this work in a high pressure load if I change the ratio?

geargnasher
08-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Vaseline isn't as wide of a fraction as it used to be since plastics became so profitable (the "utra-pure" crapola is just marketing hype for "we cut out and sell every molecule of goody we can before we can it and sell it to you), so much of the stuff that made it so good for lube by adding viscosity and film strength is history. Bees, however, are still putting the ester waxes, glues, and ton of other goodies in their product just like always, and when softened even with modern, white Vaseline still makes a very decent boolit lube. What you have will be good for anything you're likely to do for a while unless you shoot a lot in sub-zero weather, store your ammo in a hot car, or shoot rifles well above 2K fps.

Gear

Animal
08-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just loaded 21 of those sticky boogers in front of 3.9grains of HP-38 with a mild crimp and fed 100 primer. Looking forward to blowing some smoke from my 4 inch barrel tomorrow.

Stephen Cohen
08-06-2013, 12:04 AM
You will find this lube to work well. I used the same in my 45acp 230gr RCBS cast and 4.8gr of bullseye, 357mag and 180gr RCBS Sil cast and 7gr Bluedot. The only one I had some trouble with was my 9mm cz it did lead up a little after 50 or so shots, but that I am sure that was because I was shooting undersized boolits, the bore on my cz ran .359, and chamber would accept nothing over .357.

Lead Fred
08-06-2013, 01:06 AM
My standard lube for 45s is 1lb bee's wax, 1lb lard, 8oz STP
Never had any lead, and have sent my 405s down range at 1750fps
The .452s no where near that speed.

mdi
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208936-Darr-lube Close to your stuff...

runfiverun
08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
similar to simple lube made with b-wax Vaseline and atf/2 stroke oil.
the last 2 replace some of the lost molecules from the stripped Vaseline.

Animal
08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm thinking I'll order some Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lube these bullets before I put the other lube on them

mdi
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking I'll order some Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lube these bullets before I put the other lube on them
Doubling the amount of work without doubling the lube properties...:roll::-D

Whiterabbit
08-23-2013, 12:31 PM

I find LLA to be smoky. I do not recommend doing this unless you only shoot outdoors.

Animal
08-23-2013, 07:02 PM
So people who use LLA don't typically apply a traditional bullet lube with it?

Whiterabbit
08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I've done it both ways. actually three ways, as I have a homemade lube with LLA in it. I just have learned that I do not like it. I have one application for it. A strange rifle bullet that loves lla on a raw soft bullet with GC shot to 2000 fps. Can't explain that one. No other application for any rifle or pistol I have is "right" with LLA. And the smoke makes it that much worse.

mdi
08-25-2013, 11:34 AM
So people who use LLA don't typically apply a traditional bullet lube with it?
Yep...

fryboy
08-25-2013, 02:27 PM
the beauty of LLA is the ease of using it , ie; less labor intensive , doing the other regular lube i'd suggest doing it first and then LLA'n 'em if so desired , the tumble lubes cover the bearing surfaces the regular lube doesnt ( still too much work IMHO )