PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a Hardness tester

SteveK
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I've been looking to buy a hardness tester ASAP... the Lee seems affordable and workable for my pruposes but I have an open mind.

Can anybody help me here?

John Boy
08-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Search on 'hardness tester' - many threads and many opinions.
Been using the Lee for years

bangerjim
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Had a Lee on order for 2 months and gave up. Called Cabine Tree and he shipped it the next day!

Never looked back. Cabine is much more accurate, repeatable, and FAST! You get what you pay for.

Lee unit finally showed up after 4 months of waiting. Compared accuracy and it is pretty close, but much more difficult to use. I found you do NOT have to go thru that Lee recommended "song and dance" of waiting 30 seconds. Just a quick bump-n-go will give you perfectly accurate readings! Just have the little rod come up even with the top.

But........you still have to tie up your press for hardness measurements. With Cabine, I can take it with me to the scrap yards and test. If you go that way, get a Harbor Freight digital dial indicator and upgrade.

bangerjim

John Boy
08-05-2013, 07:59 PM
View an article to see how the Lee Hardness Test Kit stacks up to the competition: http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm#Lee

Slow Elk 45/70
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
#1 for Cabin Tree..IMHO

enfieldphile
08-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I have been using an LBT Hardness Tester for almost 20 years now, very easy to use and a repeatable unit.

Walstr
08-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Try this K.I.S.S. approach.

BHN = 5 X (lead dia./test dia.)^2 --- Drop by a bearing shop and pick up a 1" steel ball bearing and that costs about 2 bucks or so.** Melt the pure lead(stick on weights)in a muffin tin and your test lead in the one muffin slot next to it. I waited a day to test because I am anal that way. Pad the vise with aluminum or steel on the jaws so that the lead doesn't dig into the teeth of the jaws. Hold up the lead in one jaw and the test lead on the other jaw and slowly squeeze the two together with the ball bearing in the middle. Just squeeze till there is a good dent on both surfaces of the lead or about 1/5 or the way in on both sides of the ball bearing. **** Here is the formula: BHN= 5 X (lead dia./test dia.)^2 *** With calipers measure the diameter of the indent in each of the lead pieces and plug in the values.

warf73
08-06-2013, 03:24 AM

BHN = 5 X (lead dia./test dia.)^2 --- Drop by a bearing shop and pick up a 1" steel ball bearing and that costs about 2 bucks or so.** Melt the pure lead(stick on weights)in a muffin tin and your test lead in the one muffin slot next to it. I waited a day to test because I am anal that way. Pad the vise with aluminum or steel on the jaws so that the lead doesn't dig into the teeth of the jaws. Hold up the lead in one jaw and the test lead on the other jaw and slowly squeeze the two together with the ball bearing in the middle. Just squeeze till there is a good dent on both surfaces of the lead or about 1/5 or the way in on both sides of the ball bearing. **** Here is the formula: BHN= 5 X (lead dia./test dia.)^2 *** With calipers measure the diameter of the indent in each of the lead pieces and plug in the values.

LOL I see nothing simple about this at all, but if it works for you keep doing it.

I'll second the Cabin Tree, but you really don't have to have a tester to be honest. There is more important equitment out there for this hobby than a bhn tester that you might not have. The last thing I would buy is the tester if all my equitement isn't bought yet. And the tester was the last piece I bought and went years without knowing what bhn my lead was.

dragon813gt
08-06-2013, 06:08 AM

That is anything but simple :laugh:

Maven
08-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Simpler yet is the late Ken Mollohan's approach to hardness testing: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?75455-Testing-hardness-with-pencils

hermans
08-06-2013, 09:25 AM
A hardness tester is a "nice to have" when it comes to just making boolits for fun. But if you have to get one, get the Cabine Tree, it is built as strong as a tank.

Walter Laich
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Cabine Tree was my choice

detox
08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I have the Saeco and the Lee. The Lee measures just a little harder than the Saeco. For instance the Saeco measures a certain boolit at 15 bhn and the Lee measures same boolit at about 15.4 bhn. Saeco measures only cast boolits and is lots simpler than the Lee. I am sure the Cabin Tree is verygood also...if not the best.

bangerjim
08-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Nice thing about the Cabine is you can measure ANY shape of sample, not just boolits. You have a very wide area in the tester to get the sample lead in there to test. You do not have to do a juggling act with the ingot or slab, the press, and the handle like with the Lee.

I use a T-nut to hold the nose of the boolit in place while cranking the Cabine handle. That way, it does not skew sideways and pop out during test.

Don't get me wrong, the Lee is a good system. The Cabine is just better, though much more costly.

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

engineer401
08-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Cabine Tree is what I use. I am satisfied with it.

williamwaco
08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I like the Lee and find it to give accurate results.

retread
08-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I have a Lee and am well satisfied. In comparison tests I have seen it has come out on top for consistency.

Gliden07
08-06-2013, 10:42 PM
There was someone on here making a holder for the Lee microscope and a small flashlight to make using the Lee tester easier to use. There was also a YouTube video (I think) of someone that took a kids microscope gutted it out used the base and focus knob to focus the Lee microscope.

MtGun44
08-06-2013, 11:43 PM
One satisfied customer with a LBT hardness tester.

Bill

waksupi
08-06-2013, 11:59 PM
For $25 more than the Lee, you can have a Cabin Tree that is much more versatile.

jmort
08-07-2013, 02:18 AM
Lee Precision and Cabine Tree are the top two choices. Either one would be a good choice.

Moonman
08-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Cabine Tree will suit you just fine.

Echo
08-07-2013, 10:42 AM
One satisfied customer with a LBT hardness tester.

Bill
+1 for the LBT - I've used one for several years, and like it.

mold maker
08-07-2013, 12:19 PM
In the last 20 years I've had both Saeco and LEE. Neither did what I needed, or were too hard to see/use. A Cabin Tree, year before last solved both problems and offered lots more versatility.

ukrifleman
08-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Quite happy with my Lee tester.
ukrifleman.

kevindtimm
08-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Once I understood the gist of your method, I found that your method may be the simplest I've seen so far.

Equal pressure on each sample pressed into a ball bearing; if you know the makeup of one (which your method assures) then the difference in size of the indentation gives you the BHN of the unknown sample.

Very nice!

detox
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Once I understood the gist of your method, I found that your method may be the simplest I've seen so far.

Equal pressure on each sample pressed into a ball bearing; if you know the makeup of one (which your method assures) then the difference in size of the indentation gives you the BHN of the unknown sample.

Very nice!

Be sure to measure area facing bottom of casting mould only.

kidmma
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I have used the pencils. They work.
I've used the ball bearings. They work. They both give you a good baseline.

If you are real anal, get the Cabine Tree.

Gliden07
08-08-2013, 10:35 PM
For $25 more than the Lee, you can have a Cabin Tree that is much more versatile.

Please tell me where I can buy a Cabin Tree for $75.00. I saw them on his site for $120 (+$12 for shipping) for the standard and $155 (+$12 for shipping) for the Dual Purpose. I would defiantly buy one for that price!! Natchez has the Lee on there site for $49(+ shipping, depends where your at). In all fairness there out of stock right now, but the Cabine Tree standard model is out of stock also. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, if someone is selling the Cabine Tree testers for $75 plus shipping I would buy one for sure!!

The Cabine Tree looks a lot easier to use though that's for sure!!

Cane_man
08-09-2013, 09:25 PM
pencils rule

Firebricker
08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I've had an LBT for about five years and I'm very happy with it. A friend I helped get into casting bought the Cabin Tree and I like it a lot would definitely recommend them too. I had a Lee first it was effective but harder to use but there are lots of threads here on mods for the Lee that would make it much handier. FB

GP100man
08-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Wasted alot of alloys makin lead "harder is better", was taught better & used my thumbnail for yrs !

Found :cbpour: & got serious about boolits & purchased a Lee tester , it works & gives consistent results if operated consistently (small learning bump)

`bout drove me crazy with all these new set of numbers to work with , minimum pressures , maximum pressures .

All I can say is I catagorize boolits for handgun as soft/hard (rarely) & worry more `bout bore condition (straightness& smoothness) & FIT.

Not saying I ignore BHN but there`s alot of varibles that have to work together for succesful lead boolit shooting.
Recovering a fired boolit will tell alot , just listen.

Holding the Lee "scope" is an art & `bout blinded me at first, here`s a pic of my solution, not purty, but none cheaper,LOL!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Leescopeholder-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/Leescopeholder-1.jpg.html)

Gliden07
08-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Wasted alot of alloys makin lead "harder is better", was taught better & used my thumbnail for yrs !

Found :cbpour: & got serious about boolits & purchased a Lee tester , it works & gives consistent results if operated consistently (small learning bump)

`bout drove me crazy with all these new set of numbers to work with , minimum pressures , maximum pressures .

All I can say is I catagorize boolits for handgun as soft/hard (rarely) & worry more `bout bore condition (straightness& smoothness) & FIT.

Not saying I ignore BHN but there`s alot of varibles that have to work together for succesful lead boolit shooting.

Holding the Lee "scope" is an art & `bout blinded me at first, here`s a pic of my solution, not purty, but none cheaper,LOL!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Leescopeholder-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/Leescopeholder-1.jpg.html)

What a cool idea!!!

Shooter6br
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I am cheap.I use $9 pencil set.Scratch test.

Ed K
08-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Please explain:

"area facing bottom of casting mould"

ukrifleman
08-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Great idea! I hope you don't hold a patent on it, `cause i'm gonna make one!
ukrifleman.

SteveK
08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
What a cool idea!!!

I think that's true, American, Genius!

I ordered one from Midway, $60 bux, what the heck..... Now I just wait until they get the backorders filled.

Thanks everybody!

SteveK
08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/Leescopeholder-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/Leescopeholder-1.jpg.html)[/QUOTE]

I ordered one from Midway, $60 bux, what the heck..... Now I just wait until they get the backorders filled.

Thanks everybody!

MGySgt
08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
I bought the Cabine Tree a long time ago. While I only use the hardness testing some - I do use the bullet runout and the case thickness testers a lot.

3 units in one and mine was actually a reject - they drilled it left handed - guess what I am left handed so it works even better than if I had bought one of their Deluxe Models that was setup for a right hander!

I did get along nicely for a very long time without a hardness tester. I too bought the SACO and used it some - for flat point bullets is works just fine. But if you have a stack of ingots that you bought/scrounged some place you really do not have a clue as to what they are. The Cabine Tree can test the hardness and give you a pretty good idea of what the alloy is.

The multiple functions of the Cabine Tree Deluxe makes it the better choice hands down (at least for me).

Westmann
08-28-2013, 12:00 AM
A good set of drafting pencils has served me well for a good while. Having used both the LBH and CT recently, I'm planning to get a CT for ease of use with different sample sizes.

SteveK
08-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks everybody!

Yea! The midway backorder has shipped... and 2 weekds early too! The moment of truth is at hand.

Agentr
08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Finally Got mine too! Here's what I did. A copy of another guys holder but with a better viewing angle.

ballistim
08-30-2013, 11:10 AM
I'll add to the Cabinetree +'s, I know it's cost seems high but it is so easy to use and has made my sorting of several years worth of mystery alloys a cinch. It's now going to be no problem to duplicate the hardness of an alloy that works for me, and I've found consistency in everything has helped make my reloaded ammo the best it can be.

alamogunr
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I've got both the Cabine Tree and the LBT(I'm addicted to gadgets). I rarely use either but they come in handy when I want to find out if my alloying efforts are close.

Both agree for the most part and I have to say it would take multiple tests on the same alloy to get an average hardness that would satisfy you if you are looking for absolute numbers.

sprinkintime
08-30-2013, 12:22 PM
I have just ordered the LBT because it is a direct reading in bernell, the one draw back, it cannot measure billets, It can only measure boolets, small slugs, or cores. The price was 100.00 + 10 in shipping. But I did evaluate them all just hoping I made the right decision. Sprink

MGySgt
08-30-2013, 12:25 PM
If you are satisfied with it then you made the right decision.