PDA

View Full Version : How Many Lub Grooves?

leeenfield
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm going to have a custom mould made for a .375 rifle that I am building (a .377 actually) and am wondering how many grooves to provide to hold an adequate supply of lub. I am planning to use wheel weights for the boolits and attempt to drive them at about 1900 fps. The Boolit will be seated about one caliber deep in the case. I don't mind having grooves outside the case, but if it is not necessary it is a lot less messy.

Also, for a given load of lub, I am wondering if there is any differnce between fewer and wider grooves versus more and narrower.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

leadman
08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
A thought is to use only a couple of small lube grooves, then use the Hi-Tek coating as your boolit lube. Since the coating is hard and dry there are no concerns with any lube outside the case. The small lube grooves would work like the grooves on a Barnes triple shock to give the displaced lead someplace to go. Don't know if this is entirely necessary since I haven't done any experimenting like this.
I do know that the Hi-Tek would be the way to go.
If the above does not appeal to you go with one large lube groove with a flat bottom like the Lyman and Rcbs silloutte boolits. I have a lyman 7mm 160gr and it works fine for higher velocity than what you are seeking. This way you can plan the location so it is always in the neck of the case.

beagle
08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Two is usually sufficient in my .357 H & H./beagle

grouch
08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I favor as many lube grooves as possible. Some test results a number of years back suggested that long unlubricated bearing surfaces were less likely to foul or lead a barrel if they were grooved. No one suggested that all the grooves had to be lubed.
That's my superstition, anyway.
Grouch

DeanWinchester
08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I favor as many lube grooves as possible. Some test results a number of years back suggested that long unlubricated bearing surfaces were less likely to foul or lead a barrel if they were grooved. No one suggested that all the grooves had to be lubed.
That's my superstition, anyway.
Grouch

Can't argue that Loverin design boolits work well and that certainly appears to be the theory behind their design don't it?

MtGun44
08-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Loverin style boolits work wonderfully, I think he cracked the code on rifle boolits.
LOTS of grooves, filled with lube or not.

Bill

WilliamDahl
08-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Loverin style boolits work wonderfully, I think he cracked the code on rifle boolits.
LOTS of grooves, filled with lube or not.

Interesting article:

http://www.lasc.us/brennan_2-0_moldselectiondesign.htm