PDA

View Full Version : Winchesterr 1873 Set trigger

Speedo66
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I've got a beat up but serviceable 1873 in .38-40, made in 1889. I can't find much information about set triggers on the 1873's, but think mine may have one. It has a little screw sticking out by the trigger which I'm lead to believe indicates the set trigger.

I don't know what you're supposed to do to set it, how they operate, or if mine even works. Anybody have any knowledge in this area they'd be willing to share?

john hayslip
08-05-2013, 11:22 AM
No experience with Win set triggers but the ones I've played with you push the trigger forward to set it (if it's a single trigger). The screw is to adjust the "set" weight.

bob208
08-05-2013, 12:15 PM
yes if it is a single trigger you push it forward to set it. the screw is to set how light you want the trigger to be. in the lever guns a single trigger is more common the a dubble.

i have a 76 in .40-60 with a single set trigger.

Speedo66
08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I just found this which has an enormous amount of info re: set triggers on old Winchesters. http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/newsletter.html

Kansas Ed
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Be very careful when setting the Single Set Trigger. That little screw goes through the weakest part making it even weaker. If you try and force it , or set it too hard you will break the point off the trigger. Replacement is almost impossible...although they can be repaired....for a price.

Ed

Speedo66
08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Mine's not working, and when I see the enormous amount of parts/complication involved, it looks like it's going to stay that way.

missionary5155
08-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Good morning
I have a little experience with these single set triggers. I do know parts do show up ocasionally and can be very pricey.
If your "set" does not work you can remove the lower tang and replace it with a standard lower tang with standard trigger parts. That is what I do for everyday enjoyable shooting. Keep those "set trigger" parks in a well marked envelope to stay with the rifle in the advent you decide to sell it.
Mike in Peru

Speedo66
08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
The trigger itself is working fine, just won't take a "set". Actually has a nice let off, not unhappy with it. Also has a strong half cock position.

Is there any danger/safety issue with using the trigger as is? Anything in danger of being damaged?