PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Without Lube

ArizonaFlinter
08-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Thinking about molding some 300gr .451 boolits for 50 cal sabots. The advertised tolerance for the mold is +.0015 -.0000. I understand the sabots are designed for .451. The Lee Lube Size Kit instructions talk about lubing before sizing. Has anyone tried sizing without lubing? Or is there a better solution?

Maven
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
AF, If you're referring to the press-mounted Lee push through sizer, all you need is a very thin film of lube on the CB. By lube I mean case lube, wire pulling lube (not greasy or oily) or something similar. However, with the exception of grossly oversized CB's, I rarely use any lube in those Lee dies and have had no problems whatsoever as a result.

dondiego
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
You might want to check first to see if those bullets even need to be sized since they are going into sabots anyway.

Char-Gar
08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
With a press mounted sizer such as the Lee, sometimes the first couple of bullets need a little lube, but after than they can be sized dry just fine. I use whatever kind of heavy oil I have laying around, and just put a thin coat of the bullet.

idahoron
08-05-2013, 03:14 PM
THe lee sizer is likely not going to improve the size much at all if you put in a .451 and want a .451 My guess you won't see any sizing at all with pure lead. If your doing wheel weight you might. Ron