PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99

JDL
10-12-2007, 05:37 PM
A "G" model, birth date of 1930, is the first lever rifle that I ever bought 30 years ago, and just so happens to be the vehicle that launched me into shooting cast in rifles. I've taken several deer with different boolits and just returned from the range after making sure the old .300 was shooting where it looked for the coming deer season.
A truncated cone flat point boolit of 165 gr. that was designed for my 7.62X39 was sized down to .311" and set over 23 grains of Rx 7 which moved out just shy of 1900 fps. This load has produced 9 groups in the past year that average slightly less than 2" and I include the largest group of 2.60", which was the last one I shot today. Barrel was so hot it was uncomfortable to touch but, I was trying to get in all my shots before "cease fire" was called. I'm satisified with the accuracy of the old takedown and am looking foward to using this new load for deer this year. Previous load using the Lyman 31141 and a case full of H-4831 or MR-3100 produces dramatic results on deer but, isn't quite as precise because of fliers. Well, enough of this rambling....let's go deer hunting! -JDL

Bret4207
10-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Can't beat a 99! If you aren't using the takedown feature, do you self a favor and Loc-Tite the threads. You might gain a half inch decrease in group size.