PDA

View Full Version : Looking for nipple thread sizes

ShootingSight
08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm looking to make a batch of experimental nipples on a screw machine, and figured I should make it in as many thread sizes as possible.

I know about 1/4-28 and am told there is a metric size that is common, and these two will cover 90% of everything out there. Might be a 5/16 size for some civil war stuff (please confirm).

Then there are a bunch of old funky, non-standard sizes. Since the screw machine is CNC, this is the opportunity to get a few dozen each of the bizzare sizes made, once the screw machine is set up.

Could you please respond with all the nipple thread sizes you can come up with, and indicate what rifle used them?

Thanks,

Art

fouronesix
08-05-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't know of a list that would have every possibility, but looking over Track's offering would be a pretty good start.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

waksupi
08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I would also take a look at a Dixie Gun Works catalog. I think they have more obscure thread sizes than TOW.
Making a variety of old gun screws would be another thing to play with. Lots of weird threads on some of those!

calaloo
08-06-2013, 08:21 AM
I would be interested in a few (maybe a dozen) 1/4 X 28 with no hole. Let me know.
Calaloo

newton
08-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Here you go.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html#chart

waksupi
08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Something else good to produce, is nipples sized by thousandths over the standard dimensions. Many people remove the nipples every time they clean, and wear the threads. I saw an example of this in June, when a shooter had a nipple blow out during a shoot.
I was told years ago to use an anti seize grease on the threads, and not to remove the nipples except for maybe once a year.

KCSO
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Waksupi, I had to go to a flinter because I kept drooling on the nipples. Don't forget touchhole liners!

fouronesix
08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
The "OS" (over-sized) nipples are especially handy for those guns where the owners never or infrequently remove the nipples when cleaning (I see that recommendation posted here fairly often). In the future that nipple and seat will become rust-bound sometimes requiring harsh measures to remove nipple (or touch hole liner) from gun. The rust (corrosion) has removed metal from both the nipple and the seat. Plus the forced removal has distorted or removed metal. So both factors degrade the seat so it's no longer to original specs.... thus requiring an over-sized nipple or liner.

I'll take my chances on cleaning nipples and seats during each gun cleaning then applying good grease when replacing nipple after cleaning.

newton
08-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I generally remove my nipples after cleaning, but sometimes like when I am hunting, there have been times when its been a while because I do not want to mess with them.

I found a while back that some good ole beeswax/lard, same lube I use for some boolits, works great as an antiseze. Never had one stuck while using this. I coat very liberally.

Newtire
11-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I had to get some nipples out of an old M/L shotgun awhile back and this worked after all else failed. I drove an old 12 point USA made socket on over the rusted in nipple and unscrewed it. The anti-seize compund for spark plug threads works great on these and also for choke tubes to ease future removal.89048

johnson1942
11-30-2013, 10:11 PM
paul at warrencustomoutdoors.com has all the thread sizes for every make of sidelock. call him, he is great to talk with.

hc18flyer
11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
My brother cross threaded the nipple in his TC Renegade. Can he get by running a tap into it or will it require an 'OS nipple'. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it can up while shooting this afternoon. The NE mzl. season opens tomorrow. Can borrow one of mine till he gets it fixed. Thanks, for your reply. Tom

waksupi
12-01-2013, 02:54 AM
My brother cross threaded the nipple in his TC Renegade. Can he get by running a tap into it or will it require an 'OS nipple'. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it can up while shooting this afternoon. The NE mzl. season opens tomorrow. Can borrow one of mine till he gets it fixed. Thanks, for your reply. Tom

I would not shoot it if it was cross threaded, until it is freshed out.

fouronesix
12-01-2013, 02:17 PM

It depends on "how much" cross-threaded it is (how much damage was done), so I wouldn't either without re-tapping. You can take a bottoming type tap or grind most of the taper off the end of a regular 1/4x28 tap and run it carefully back in, making sure it is on-axis. You want as much engagement as possible all the way to the bottom of the nipple seat. Then turn a regular nipple back in. If it feels loose and wobbly then, yes, probably be a good idea for an OS nipple.