PDA

View Full Version : 7x57 mauser CB loads wanted for modern rifle

Matt85
08-05-2013, 06:46 AM
so I just ordered a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 7x57 and we all know condom bullets are expensive and the 7mm bullets are no exception. so lets talk 7x57 cast loads for modern 7x57 rifles. the rifles twist rate is 1-9.5 with a 22" barrel. this will be the first smokeless cartridge ive taken on so its all news to me (I load 45-70 and .357 with BP). what kinda limit do I need to set on velocity with cast bullets? if I can get the bullets to decent velocities I will hunt with CBs as well.

please recommend some loads.

thank you
-matt

Ben
08-05-2013, 08:05 AM
I top out at around 1,700 fps.
Others may shoot cast at higher velocities, but accuracy is my game ,not high velocity.

Ben

WILCO
08-05-2013, 08:08 AM
so I just ordered a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 7x57 and we all know condom bullets are expensive and the 7mm bullets are no exception. so lets talk 7x57 cast loads for modern 7x57 rifles. the rifles twist rate is 1-9.5 with a 22" barrel. this will be the first smokeless cartridge ive taken on so its all news to me (I load 45-70 and .357 with BP). what kinda limit do I need to set on velocity with cast bullets? if I can get the bullets to decent velocities I will hunt with CBs as well.

please recommend some loads.

thank you
-matt

Hi Matt!

Get this manual, read up and come back to us.
Plenty of 7x57 loads in there too. :)

Matt85
08-05-2013, 08:42 AM
a buddy has the 3rd edition of that book, that good enough? ill borrow it from him.

-matt

WILCO
08-05-2013, 09:09 AM
a buddy has the 3rd edition of that book, that good enough? ill borrow it from him.

-matt

Yes!!! Great!!!! That should get you going and fill in some of your blanks.

loadedbutbroke
08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Matt

I hope the following is of use to you even though the information is in regards to a 1893 Original Boar war rifle in 7 X 57 Mauser.

I owned this gun for a long time and tried to find a satisfactory load for both lead and jacketed bullets. This is a Designed high velocity round, and was used with great effect against the British (Ouch) In fact the sights minimum range is 300m. Now your rifle is obviously very different and I suspect a lot lighter with a shorter barrel.

Now I am not recommending these loads it is up to you to work your own loads up (standard disclaimer);_

With Jacketed I found it very hard to get the elevation down using Sierra match kings ( I think they were 168 grn). The original would have been round nose and not boat tailed. My best loads were around the 38-40 grn Viht N140. A very similar loading to .303 which is my favorite round. Recoil quite acceptable with the primers still not completely flatted out. The case sizes are quite similar but the 7mm has a lighter bullet and I suspect a flatter trajectory.

I tried N160 a slower powder that quite a few people recommended to me but with no better result.

I also tried other Hodgdon 4831 up to 46grn but again didn't seem to do the business as well as the Viht N140.

I also tried with lead. Lee die, gas checked ( very difficult to find in the UK) I loaded the N140 well down but only succeeded in getting keyholes at the other end.

I later tried H4831 and loaded 36 grains using the same bullets, I achieved reasonable accuracy at 100yrds with some fair grouping. Leading not too bad! I think this round showed some promise and could be worked up. Unfortunately I sold/exchanged the rifle to a friend a few months ago which I am beginning to regret as I loved the Mauser.

I hope you mange to find something for this round but I have to say that in my rifle it was at its best at 600- 1,000yrds.

Regards Adrian

Matt85
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
my buddy stopped by and dropped off his 3rd edition book. heaviest bullet used in the Manuel is 162gr which will work cause most of the cast I will use will probably be around that weight but the list of powders to use is really dated. if any one has the 4th edition book, if possible could you scan pages for the 7x57 loads and email em to me (pm for email addy).

also I would love to hear peoples pet loads for there modern 7x57 rifles. id be happy to hear both cast boolits and modern condom bullet loads.

ive been looking at some molds and the RCBS 168 grain bullet and the saeco 165 grain bullets both look like they should work. any experience with either?

-matt

Lefty SRH
08-05-2013, 05:08 PM
WE are in the same boat kinda. I really enjoy my 7x57 Ruger No.1 RSI. I'm sure several hear are a little tired of me talkin about it too.....
As far as jacketed mine likes the 175gr RN by Hornady and some IMR 4350 and the 145gr Speer HOTCore and a healthy dose of IMR 4350.
So far this rifle has been a problem child for cast boolits, but I haven't given up yet. I recently got a new (to me) Lyman bore rider thats out of production. Hope to try it this coming friday weather permitting.
Clean your barrel REALLY REALLY well and slug it! This will tell you what size boolits you will more than likely need. Second, make a dummy round using a flat base jacketed bullet turned backwards. Keep seating the bullet deeper in the case until the bolt closes. This will give you a decent idea as to how long the throat is in the chamber. This will help dictate which molds may work better for your rifle.
Welcome to rifle casting!

WILCO
08-05-2013, 05:22 PM
WE are in the same boat kinda. I really enjoy my 7x57 Ruger No.1 RSI. I'm sure several hear are a little tired of me talkin about it too.....

Always love a good rifle update.

WILCO
08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
my buddy stopped by and dropped off his 3rd edition book. heaviest bullet used in the Manuel is 162gr which will work cause most of the cast I will use will probably be around that weight but the list of powders to use is really dated.

Those dated powders are still available Matt. You mentioned that you reload for BP, are you set up for measuring smokeless powder? How much do you know about the 7x57 cartridge? If you're looking at J-word data, a set of Hornady or Speer manuals would be good too, as they give some decent historical/technical information for the cartridge at hand.

Lefty SRH
08-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Those dated powders are still available Matt. You mentioned that you reload for BP, are you set up for measuring smokeless powder? How much do you know about the 7x57 cartridge? If you're looking at J-word data, a set of Hornady or Speer manuals would be good too, as they give some decent historical/technical information for the cartridge at hand.

The history is one thing that really drew me to the caliber. Along with the the "elephant gun" side which has become my families inside joke with me. LOL

Matt85
08-05-2013, 08:22 PM
i know a little about the 7x57 as ive done a fair amount of google research. i know like the 6.5x55 it uses a longer heavy bullet at lower velocities to achieve effective accuracy and killing power.

my choice on J-word bullets will be either the 160 gr and/or the 175 grain probably sierra game king as the reviews have been good. i know more about the J-word bullet loads then the cast bullet loads as there is plent of 7x57 load data available for them.

oh and yes, i have a nice electric scale for measuring any kind of powder. ill pick up another powder dispenser as i dont wanna chance BP and smokeless getting mixed.

-matt

Lefty SRH
08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
This may be a good design for your Featherweight. Need to clean and slug that barrel first though.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?133424-NOE-286407-150Gr-FN-(7mm-Louverin)

fa38
08-06-2013, 08:46 PM
1895 Chilian Mauser
NOE 150 FN Hunter
Win LR Primer
Benchmark-- 21.5 Grs.
C.O.L 3.0"

Argentine Mauser
150 NOE FN Hunter
Fed 210 primer
SPP210 18.9 Grs. (Looks like and uses 4198 data)
OAL Ctg. 2.96"

Both shoot to the military barrel sights at near the lowest settings.
The load for the 1895 does not shoot very well in the Argentine