PDA

View Full Version : Long time in the coming!

blaser.306
08-04-2013, 10:33 PM
78290After wanting one for the last 15 years and REALY wanting one for about the last 5 , I finaly got my lathe:smile:! As you can see sitting on top of the headstock there is a swaging die that is in the early stages of completion! The reamer is that of a Truncated cone 40 degree nose that will ultimately be final lapped up to .430" . This die is my test piece and I am starting with the point form die. When it is complete, I plan on making some extra sets ! I will be making some in .224" as well as some .358" for single shot pistol and of course 44 cal as well. When the time comes I will be looking for a couple of test pilots, with 5/8 -24 threaded ram equipment to help evaluate and give me some feedback on the die sets.! I will post again as things get closer to competion.

303british.com
08-04-2013, 11:41 PM
We'll be watching. The lathe will keep you out of trouble on those long winter nights. I spent some time in Moose Jaw when I was in the air force. :)

MrWolf
08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Very nice - gratz on your lathe. I am also looking for a lathe but hopefully it won't take 15 years :2_high5:

clodhopper
08-05-2013, 12:16 AM
I volenteer to test .35 single shot pistol bullet dies!
Have corbin series II press with 5/8X 24 threaded ram, will need external punch too.
Also have 35 rem super 14 contender, corbin canalure tool.
Should have in a few months, a BTSniper draw die set to make jackets from either 9mm or .223 brass

blaser.306
08-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Duly noted! I will keep in contact , and make arrangements as a completion date nears! If these dies turn out as hopped I would dearly love to make it a weekend and after work means of some extra funds to help fill my home machine shop with equipment . As well as give me a little freedom from the new tyrant they hired as a shop service manager! Thus the marking on the dies when produced "NTG" ( no "that" guy )

Reload3006
08-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Grats!!! looks like a nice machine.

blaser.306
08-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Grats!!! looks like a nice machine.

Thanks, It isn't as big as the one I wanted . But if I can make some great product it will be a stepping stone. I hope to be able to expand my capabilities and provide some much needed equipment for myself and others.

customcutter
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Sweet. As I've said before any lathe is better than none at all. Need to post some pics on your dies, reamers, etc. Cane Man got his made and I'm working on a set for .224. My radius/ogive turner didn't turn out too well. There is way too much play in a .250" rod to properly cut the ogive. I'm now backing up and heading toward a grinder tool post like TeddyBlu did to make my reamers/laps with.

CC

runfiverun
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Mark,,, let me know when you get it...
if my 308 die set come in by then I could kick you up some 5.7 jaxkets to play with.
might make some interesting boat tails.

clodhopper
08-06-2013, 11:54 PM
runfiverun,
Great idea with the 5.7 brass, thanks for the offer, there are a few 5.7 cases in a coffee can in my man lair.
Do you want to test too? I could, if blaser.306 permits, forward the dies your way after making some.
BT's xdie might be just the thing for these chubby bullets. Maybe even with .38 super brass for jackets.

runfiverun
08-07-2013, 12:24 AM
it would be nice to look at and mess about with.
Bt is making me a threaded ram for my rcbs rock chucker too, it's just wait,wait,wait at this point though.
and i'm not positive what the threads will be cut to.
if nothing else I could open the cases at the neck, anneal them, clean the coating off, and get some to you to mess with.

clodhopper
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
This is still down the road some. Blaser will need time to make some dies for himself, before sending any my way.
Many of us on the swage thread are waiting for nice little pacakages from BT, Corbin, Recco, and others.

I want to make Bullets, AARRGGH! good thing the casting pot is about to temp now! logging off........

Cane_man
08-07-2013, 10:10 AM
blaser that looks fantastic, congrats :happy dance: me jealous! looking forward to pics you post of your work this winter...

littlejack
08-08-2013, 11:23 PM
blaser.306:
Your lathe is a dead ringer for my Grizzly G602 10 x 22. Some of the colors differ though. Nice lathe.
Jack

monmouth
08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Must be a great feeling to finally have one, congrats.

blaser.306
08-09-2013, 08:17 PM
blaser.306:
Your lathe is a dead ringer for my Grizzly G602 10 x 22. Some of the colors differ though. Nice lathe.
Jack

Yup, Same exact machine ! The Grizz does have a much better manual with titthough! My 44 truncated cone die is nearing completion ! I am currently awaiting delivery of some diamond lapping compound to do the final polish. Then on to .358" die building.
When I do get to a point where I am confident in producing a product that will both work and stand up. I will Talk to ken about what is needed to have these up for sale on the site. My original thought is that 2.5% of the sale of each set of dies will go directly to the site and another 2.5% directly to a "Ken benefit" Any thoughts or oposition? As I had mentioned in a previous post these will at first be 5/8"x 24 TPI dies as others here Such as BT Sniper have a good thing going with the reloading press dies and do not want to try and re invent the wheel as it wereor step into an area that anothe rhas already poured themselves into! Shortly after I get into production I intend on expanding to include 1 1/2 " x 12 threaded dies for the larger press rams. P/M me if you have any questions.

Cane_man
08-09-2013, 09:20 PM
the diamond paste lapping compound is the way to go for lapping dies... 600, 2000, and 8000 grit will get the job done

there is a vendor selling on ebay for a pretty reasonable price

customcutter
08-09-2013, 09:27 PM
EDIT: Should have posted in Cane's thread. Don't know what happened

blaser.306
08-13-2013, 08:27 AM
The lapping process has been an adventure to be sure! Discovering the fine line with lapp OAL and dwell times in the blind hole VS. spindle speed, but I finaly have the 44 die to within .002" of final dimention. Now the heat treat /hardening and tempering. Then the long wait for USPS and Canada post to get the Diamond lapping compound to my doorstep! I can hardly wait to send a few ( hundred ) down range and check for results!!! Then move on to some .358" stuff to feed the 357 herrett!