PDA

View Full Version : speed green

krallstar
08-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Hey all, i just made my first lube from Bullplate. I mixed 1 bottle to 3 beeswax blocks. Melted and pored into pan with some 9mm cast. After it got hard also put in freezer for a short time. When i separated them the speed green seemed soft. When wiping down the boolit if i was not careful i would remove all lube from grease groove. Question is how sticky is this stuff supposed to be and should i try to make it less sticky. Also how would i make it less sticky. Thanks

dromia
08-05-2013, 01:35 AM
Increase the beeswax a tad if you want in harder, I make mine as per the instructions and it is a sticky lube. I don't find sticky lube a problem and for me it works better than the hard lubes up to 2000 fps. Just never shot it much over that velocity to know how it works above 2000 fps.

mdi
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I make mine 3 to 1, beeswax to Bull Plate by weight. Dunno what your ratio is with a whole bottle and 3 blocks (?) of wax...

krallstar
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes, that's what i used 1 bottle and 3 1oz blocks of beeswax. It came out very sticky. Added a 1/2 stick of beeswax and that seems much better.

turmech
08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
you could add an ounce or two of carnuba wax

geargnasher
08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
My bottles are four fluid ounces. The ratio is 3:1. That means 12 ounces beeswax to one bottle Bullplate unless your bottles are smaller than mine. If it's still tacky at three dry ounce parts to one fluid ounce part, add 1/2 part carnauba wax flakes. You might also wish to heat the bullplate by itself to around 250 F for fifteen minutes, stirring constantly, to remove the 25% aliphatic solvents it contains so you just have the base oil/additives to work with and THEN add the beeswax, but still use the original proportions, i.e. three ounces reduced Bullplate to 12 ounces beeswax. It will be less sticky that way.

Gear