PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Glock today

6bg6ga
08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I broke down and purchased a used Glock model 23 today 40 cal former police owned. While I have fired Glocks in the past I have never been fond of the trigger quality. I did however notice a difference today as I took off my Colt Officers 45acp and put on the model 23 in its place. I will admit I am quite taken by Glocks ability to take a beating and still function 100%.

Petrol & Powder
08-04-2013, 09:15 PM
It took me a while to warm up to Glocks but I'm there now. The design is simple and the parts are far tougher than you think. In terms of a combat handgun, they're pretty hard to beat. Above all else, they just work! I've shot a pile of handguns and owned a slightly smaller pile of handguns. The more I play with Glocks the more I appreciate the simplicity of the design. For many years S&W owned the market when it came to police handguns, Glock now holds that title and I think the reliability and simplicity of that design is the reason.
I still like to shoot other types but for serious work the Glock systems has a lot going for it. I think you'll bond with your model 23. The trigger is different, particularly compared to your single action 1911 style Officer's model but after you practice with it you'll probably become very comfortable with it.

seagiant
08-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi,
Glock took over the LE market for a reason!....They WORK!

Catshooter
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
They have no style, no class, and where's the walnut?

But they work, and they work, and they work. If they break, and they can, every single part is easy to replace and cheap to buy.

I like mine! :)

Cat

wrench
08-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Congratulations on your new pistol.
I admit, I was once a Glock hater, then, I bought one just to see what all the fuss was about. Then I bought another, and another, sold a couple of other pistols, and bought another Glock.
They feel great in my hands, point well, I actually like the triggers, tough, reliable...love them.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2013, 06:20 AM
great gun. My favorite glock is my 23. I wish they would make a 10mm the same size. My 20 is a bit to big and the 29 is a bit to small.

6bg6ga
08-05-2013, 06:42 AM
I should point out that my son has a minimum of 8 different Glocks and has been on my case for years now to purchase one. On his urging and having him look over the Glock I purchased it. The very heavy Police trigger group was quickly replaced when we went to my sons house. He opened up a plastic container will all different Glock parts and proceeded to pull out the heavy trigger and install a factory trigger group. I also managed to trade him some 45acp for some of his 180gr 40 cal handloads. It was nice to install a full mag into the gun. Now to make the week go fast so I can test it at the range on Saturday.

It felt different walking around and not having the hammer ride against my side like the 1911 did. Anyone have any specific favorite parts you think should go into it?

I called my brother and found out that he has a 10mm and now I will end up loading for his 10 and my 40. He commented on what took me so long.

Love Life
08-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Anyone have any specific favorite parts you think should go into it?

None.

garym1a2
08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I good aftermarket barrel for the 40 cal versions will make loading lead bullets much easier. My Storm Lake works very well. I would also replace the plastic guide rod with a steel one as mine broke. I like changing the mag release from the Glock 22 version to the longer Glock 34 version since I am a lefty.
The trigger springs do wear out. Mine broke after aboout 8K rounds, so replace them every now and than.
Sights is the most common upgrades and a good set of night sights is worthwile.
My Glock 21SF only had the guidrod and recoil spring changed and works quite well.
I do not like the super light trigger setups for a carry/HD gun.

None.

Love Life
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM
He said "into it." Sights go on it.

Stock trigger, rod, etc are all fine. No reason to spend money making a great working pistol into a great working pistol. I hope that makes sense.

badge176
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Once I discovered the Glock trigger reset technique I was sold. after an afternoon of practice I was able to do a contact push-off (at 1-3 yards), draw from a duty holster and get 4 rounds into the CenterOfMass before the brass hit the floor! for work, that is just what I hope I never need.

Char-Gar
08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
There is nothing to like about a Glock. They are not pretty, have class, nostalgia or any other thing I like in handguns. While I don't like them, I do respect them because they are serious tools for a serious task. I carry a Glock 19 and keep a Glock 17 in my bedroom.

I keep the Glock separated in my brain from firearms I care about. They have no appeal to me whatsoever. They are just ugly unattractive tools for an ugly unattractive use. I don't sit around and pet on my shovel or ax and treat the Glocks the same way.

nicholst55
08-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Some folks swear by the Ghost Rocket trigger connectors; they are supposed to eliminate a lot of trigger overtravel and takeup. They do require fitting. I cheaped out and installed a Lone Wolf trigger connector in my one Glock, along with an extra-power trigger spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring. That, and a light polishing of the trigger bar and FP safety. I also installed an extended slide stop and slide release lever. I have difficulty manipulating the factory slide release; the extended release is only 3mm longer, but it makes a huge difference for me.

Glock factory sights are pretty crude IMHO; almost any aftermarket sights are an improvement.

Petrol & Powder
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
There is nothing to like about a Glock. They are not pretty, have class, nostalgia or any other thing I like in handguns. While I don't like them, I do respect them because they are serious tools for a serious task. I carry a Glock 19 and keep a Glock 17 in my bedroom.

I keep the Glock separated in my brain from firearms I care about. They have no appeal to me whatsoever. They are just ugly unattractive tools for an ugly unattractive use. I don't sit around and pet on my shovel or ax and treat the Glocks the same way.

/\ I concur.

And they are the hammer of firearms; simple, effective, useful, reliable but not pretty.

garym1a2
08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I had a plastic rod guide break on my Glock 22, they are hollow inside. Hence both my glocks wear steel ones now.
He said "into it." Sights go on it.

Stock trigger, rod, etc are all fine. No reason to spend money making a great working pistol into a great working pistol. I hope that makes sense.

Ramjet-SS
08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I CC a model 21 Gen 4 or my Model 20 daily. IWB they shot so well and capacity to boot.

W.R.Buchanan
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
You done good,,, now you can go back and really learn how to shoot.

I do Dawson Sights, a Brownell's 4lb trigger spring kit, and a larger JP mag release button. I also trim the trigger safety down to where it is flush when it is completely depressed. It doesn't wear out your finger that way.

The Glock is THE pistol to learn gun handling with. Once you do that,,, go back to your 1911 and see how much better you can shoot it.

It will be night and day difference.

Randy

seagiant
08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi,
Here's two of my go to pistols. The Glock is a model 20, 10MM. It probably handles hot 10mm ammo better than anything made and has plowed a deep furrow in the hearts of 10MM aficianado's! Mine has the 25 cent trigger job and a Lone Wolf barrel so I can shoot cast with peace of mind!

If the ergos of the Glock dosen't suit you, I know the S&W M&P line will! The grip seems to fit everyone because it comes with three different size backstraps. My pistol,45 ACP, has some mods I did including 10-8 performance sights and an Apex trigger (ala Glock!) I know this thread is about your Glock but there are other options available!

Oreo
08-05-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm one of those guys who swear by a Ghost Rocket Tactical disconnector. It does require fitting and its worth it. It made a huge difference in my groups and doesn't affect reliability. You decide you don't like it you can yank it back out in 60 seconds.

Night sights are also a must.

Now, I've tried all sorts of other stuff and came to the conclusion 99.9% of it is garbage, snake oil, or not reliable enough for duty. Keep in mind the mantra: less is more, as far as a Glock is concerned.

kidmma
08-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Our police Chief had an AD while disassembling his Glock during a training session.:-(

45 through the forearm. Yoweeeee!

I like my 19.

Hunter
08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
They have a place as a tool. Though I agree they have no soul they do work. My edc is a G20 and it has yet to let me down.

bgreed
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Glocks are great tools used to sell them when they were first imported. The 17 came in a black tupperware like container. However I like the Springfield Armory XD better. As far as reliability according to all reports they are about equal.

big dale
08-06-2013, 10:02 AM
I have had my Glock 20 since the early 90's. I hated the trigger at first. I got used to it after a couple of thousand rounds. Since then I added a Glock 27 then 21 then 24. I have put nite sights on all of them also a bunch of spare magazines and aftermarket barrels and about a half dozen holsters. I guess a Glock 30 will be next. They are nothing fancy but just work and work and work.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

ValorsMinion
08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Our police Chief had an AD while disassembling his Glock during a training session.:-(

I like my 19.

I would classify that as an ND not an AD. Dissembling a loaded gun would qualify as negligence.

Catshooter
08-06-2013, 10:13 PM

I like my 19.

Good thing he's out of the field, he's a danger to others.

Cat

kidmma
08-06-2013, 11:36 PM
He was quite embarrassed. The department just switched over from Sigs. (They didn't like them)

Pulled the trigger to disassemble the slide, but failed to clear the chamber.

Please be careful.

6bg6ga
08-07-2013, 05:56 AM
You done good,,, now you can go back and really learn how to shoot.

I do Dawson Sights, a Brownell's 4lb trigger spring kit, and a larger JP mag release button. I also trim the trigger safety down to where it is flush when it is completely depressed. It doesn't wear out your finger that way.

The Glock is THE pistol to learn gun handling with. Once you do that,,, go back to your 1911 and see how much better you can shoot it.

It will be night and day difference.

Randy

Well, I had to read threw this several times. To be quite honest here I shoot what I consider to be pretty good. I generally shoot generally 92-96 points and can easily qualify with anything that I put in my hand. The Glock isn't going to make me any better when I go back to one of my 1911's. I've shot my sons Glocks, neighbors Glocks and can easily outshoot them with the first mag I put in the gun. I've shot about every semi-automatic there is out there. Some I like and some I don't. Last time at the range there was a guy with a S&W 45acp that couldn't make a 3" group. He asked me to try his gun and I got everything in the ten ring with a torn up 1-1/4 group.

I still don't like the trigger and they are ugly and they function. My son has been after me for years to get one telling me I only had 6 rounds in my officers and my reply has always been if I need more than six I'll throw the gun at them when its empty. I still feel that six rounds are enough but I do like the weight difference and I will learn to love the 23.

seagiant
08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi,
When capacity of weapons is discussed I can't help but remember the scene in Boondock Saints where the not so bright "Rocko" goes to do a hit on the local Mob with a 6 shot revolver and there are 9 mobsters in the room!!!

My Glock 20 holds 15+1 10MM Win Silver tips and I carry an extra mag with the pistol also, running out of ammo is a sin to me!

W.R.Buchanan
08-07-2013, 01:49 PM
6bg: do a shooting class with the G23.

The thing about Glocks is there is only three things you can do to one. insert a Mag, rack the slide, and pull the trigger.

This simplicity allows you to concentrate on the fundamentals like grip, stance, sight alignment, and trigger control, because you are not having to think about running the gun.

I had a similar level of experience as you when it comes to pistol shooting. When I went to my first Front Sight Class I fully expected to have them ask me to teach the class! And also expected to not learn anything new.

I finished 39th out of 40 and the only person I beat was the women who had never shot any gun in her life, that I was coaching!

It took me 4 trips to FS, and a gun change, before I finally graduated that Basic Handgun course.

I was trying to learn with a CZ40P Decocker, which was just too complicated to run. Once I switched to the G35 I was out in one class!

With these types of classes being able to manipulate the gun for clearing drills is very important. I would recommend installing the Glock Extended slide release. $10 part. as it makes locking the slide open much easier.

There are two things that must be mastered when running any Semi Auto Weapon. Inserting and removing a magazine and locking the slide/bolt open. These are the basic for loading, and clearing the weapon when a malfunction occurs.

All Semi Autos malfunction, and I don't care what anyone says to the contrary. It happens and you must deal with it. Locking the bolt/slide open is the first action which must happen to deal with any major malfunction. Dropping the mag is second, then you clear it and reload and drop the bolt/slide. This is why these two actions are key to good gun manipulation.

Yes, you will not regret buying that Glock. I guarantee you that your pistol craft will be better for it.

Randy

bbs70
08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Glock announces new 45 auto
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=20180

Oreo
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Because CTD, of all places, is gonna be the one with the scoop. Notice the date of that?

6bg6ga
08-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Anyone know a source of plated 40 cal bullets? I checked Berry's but it said out of stock.

W.R.Buchanan
08-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Try X-treme bullets or Ranier bullets. Midway for the Raniers. Randy

6bg6ga
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I bought a model 20 10mm today now I have two

Bassleg
08-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Glocks are Ugly as a mud fence but they work I just won't buy one ever.............

6bg6ga
08-21-2013, 06:57 AM
Glocks are Ugly as a mud fence but they work I just won't buy one ever.............

That is what I thought too. Did some investigating and found out that there are cases of them being buried in someones back yard later dug up and fired. You cannot do this with other brands. When push goes to shove I will reach for the Glock before I would my 1911's. Talking to law inforcement and others these fire all the time and that is what its all about in my opinion. If you need it it works.
They are ugly yes.

TheGrimReaper
08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I love me some Glocks....Glock 19x2, G26, G20, G29, and a G39.

ss30378
08-23-2013, 11:17 AM
You get used to the trigger over time but it will never ever equal that of a nice 1911. I had 2 glock longslides (17l and 24) both had the wolff competition trigger spring kit and the glockworx v4 2lb race connector. 20 bucks in parts and made a huge improvement in trigger pull.

pdawg_shooter
08-23-2013, 02:44 PM
I broke down and purchased a used Glock model 23 today 40 cal former police owned. While I have fired Glocks in the past I have never been fond of the trigger quality. I did however notice a difference today as I took off my Colt Officers 45acp and put on the model 23 in its place. I will admit I am quite taken by Glocks ability to take a beating and still function 100%.

I'm so sorry.

bbs70
08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I have 2 Glocks.
A Model 22 I've had for several years & my wife's 19 that is 3 months old..
I like them a lot.
But today I bought a Kimber 1911 45, just because I like the feel of a 1911.

6bg6ga
08-25-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm so sorry.

I used to have the same attitude as you until I saw the light and was saved.:-P

USAFrox
08-25-2013, 07:29 PM
There's still time to repent, and come back to the light! Reject the dark path of the glock, and come back to the light!

I know people tell me I'm in the minority, but I've never yet shot a Glock that didn't have problems. Light primer strikes, stove pipes, ejecting the magazine upon firing, being extremely picky on what ammunition it will fire, you name it. I'll never waste my money on a glock, based on my experience with them.

Glad you like yours - just not for me.

badge176
08-25-2013, 08:05 PM
"Our police Chief had an AD while disassembling his Glock during a training session.

45 through the forearm. Yoweeeee!"

So did he give himself a couple days unpaid suspension for the ND, and another couple for causing an injury to an officer during training? Maybe send himself down for a couple of days of remedial firearms training with the cadets?

pdawg_shooter
08-25-2013, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Usafrox;2361937]There's still time to repent, and come back to the light! Reject the dark path of the glock, and come back to the light!

I know people tell me I'm in the minority, but I've never yet shot a Glock that didn't have problems. Light primer strikes, stove pipes, ejecting the magazine upon firing, being extremely picky on what ammunition it will fire, you name it. I'll never waste my money on a glock, based on my experience with them.

Glad you like yours - just not for me.[/QU

Same her. a plastic and pot metal piece of junk IMHO. Only 2 semi-autos I would bet my life on, a 1911 or a Sig P220.

W.R.Buchanan
08-25-2013, 11:57 PM
USAfrox: really? I wonder what Glock it was that you had all these problems with?

Every problem you state is so "not Glock" it begs the question "how many of these "bad guns" have you actually shot?"

IF all of this is true, then why is this ridiculously inadequate firearm used by more police departments in the world than all other pistols combined? I know the world is filled with idiots, but if they are armed with Glocks, you might have a problem.

I really think you need to actually shoot one in some kind of a controlled training environment and report back how many malfunctions you actually had, and also your revised opinion of the gun.

IF you notice everyone who has posted on this thread that actually owns one and shoots it raves about the reliability, and far as finicky about ammo I have yet to see one that wouldn't feed and fire nearly any factory ammo with nearly complete reliability.

A lot of your malfunctions sound like 'limp wrist" syndrome. That will make any auto pistol malfunction.

Also most of the people who don't want anything to do with one still respect the gun. The reputation is well deserved.

The 1911 is a great gun, your Sig on the other hand is responsible for more ND's at Front Sight than any other gun. Also just so you know Front Sight runs about 60-70,000 people thru pistol training classes every year,,, and better than 70% use Glocks.

Sometimes change is hard to accept, but when you are shown something is clearly better and you still resist, well that simply means you will be left behind.

Randy

xacex
08-26-2013, 02:08 AM
great gun. My favorite glock is my 23. I wish they would make a 10mm the same size. My 20 is a bit to big and the 29 is a bit to small.

They do.It is the Glock 29. I have the 30 which is the same size, and they are mid size, not baby Glocks. You can wrap all your fingers on them without your pinkie hanging, but the pierce floor plate does make it feel better. If you get the 30 you can get a conversion barrel and shoot 10mm and 45acp.

On the subject of conversion barrels I was thinking of trying a 29 barrel in 357 sig with a 29 mag in my Glock 30 to see if I can shoot that, as well as 10mm. The 10 mm will shoot 40 S&W without a barrel change due to the case head-spacing on the slide face with the extractor holding the case.

6bg6ga
08-26-2013, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=Usafrox;2361937]There's still time to repent, and come back to the light! Reject the dark path of the glock, and come back to the light!

Glad you like yours - just not for me.[/QU

Same her. a plastic and pot metal piece of junk IMHO. Only 2 semi-autos I would bet my life on, a 1911 or a Sig P220.

I can still hold a 1911 in on hand and a model 23 or 20 in the other.....I'm good

USAFrox
08-26-2013, 07:34 AM
USAfrox: really? I wonder what Glock it was that you had all these problems with?

I've shot at least two different Glocks. The ones I remember having problems with were both .45's, but one was a full-sized compensated version, and one was a compact model. I don't know Glock's model numbers to tell you more than that.

Every problem you state is so "not Glock" it begs the question "how many of these "bad guns" have you actually shot?"

IF all of this is true, then why is this ridiculously inadequate firearm used by more police departments in the world than all other pistols combined? I know the world is filled with idiots, but if they are armed with Glocks, you might have a problem.

I understand that one of the main reasons it is so widely used is for liability reasons. It's a lawyer-friendly gun because of the ridiculously heavy trigger and internal safety features. In our litigious society, that is very attractive to police departments.

I really think you need to actually shoot one in some kind of a controlled training environment and report back how many malfunctions you actually had, and also your revised opinion of the gun.

Both of these Glocks I've shot we're in a controlled training environment, at an indoor shooting range. And I had a LOT of malfunctions, mainly with the full-sized compensated model.

IF you notice everyone who has posted on this thread that actually owns one and shoots it raves about the reliability, and far as finicky about ammo I have yet to see one that wouldn't feed and fire nearly any factory ammo with nearly complete reliability.

Well, actually, the guy who brought the little Glock had brought a bunch of reloads, with cast bullets, which refused to feed in his Glock. Since he couldn't use them, he gave them to me (free ammo-yay!), and they all fired in my H&K USP without any problem. He let me shoot his Glock, which worked with FMJ that I had brought. Obviously his reloads worked just fine in MY gun, so the problem was the Glock, not the reloads.

A lot of your malfunctions sound like 'limp wrist" syndrome. That will make any auto pistol malfunction.

Why do you have to attack me and make negative assumptions about me and my skills, just because I don't like a particular gun? This seems to happen a LOT with Glock owners. You say anything negative about Glocks, and they treat it like you insulted their mother. For the record, I don't have ANY issues with my own semi-auto firearms, in decades worth of time with them. I've had my H&K USP for 11 years now, and have shot I don't even know how many thousands of rounds through it, and have not yet had even ONE single malfunction of ANY kind with it. It doesn't matter how dirty I let it get, or what ammo I feed it (even reloads and cast bullets), my USP never fails (unlike the Glocks).

And I don't limp-wrist.

Also most of the people who don't want anything to do with one still respect the gun. The reputation is well deserved.

The 1911 is a great gun, your Sig on the other hand is responsible for more ND's at Front Sight than any other gun. Also just so you know Front Sight runs about 60-70,000 people thru pistol training classes every year,,, and better than 70% use Glocks.

You're confusing me with another poster. I have neither a 1911 or a sig p220.

Sometimes change is hard to accept, but when you are shown something is clearly better and you still resist, well that simply means you will be left behind.

Randy

Sometimes, apparently for Glock owners, it's hard to accept that other people have different points of view than you do.

xacex
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
I am a 1911 guy, but got my first Glock about 4 years ago on a dare. It was a well used Glock 22 2nd gen. I had one malfunction with it over the next three years, and that was a slide lock that broke while firing it. I took of the broken tab, and kept shooting, but the slide would not lock back on the last round. It was hard to get used to, and frankly I still reserve judgment. My 1911 do malfunction quite a but more usually when they are dirty, but I just like the feel. This year I got a Glock 30, and it fells much better than the G22 did. seems to shoot very good...almost, or as good as my 1911's.

Oh, and USAfrox, Glocks do not have a heavy trigger for what they are. 5.5 pounds for a gun out of the box is not uncommon. It is a 10 minute process to drop in a 3.5 pound trigger if you want one that light. It sounds to me like you shot one Glock in your life that a friend handed you, and it had an aftermarket magazine. That was my first introduction to Glock, and I had the same opinion for 15 years. I dare you to go out and try a gen three Glock with a factory magazine. Report your findings when you do. Glock does not make a factory compensated gun so it sounds a lot like you were firing one with an after market barrel as well. They do make ported guns, but the ports are located at the top of the slide, not at the end of the barrel.

You can shoot lead out of a Glock, and even other reloads. If you are having issues it is most likely an aftermarket barrel that is causing the problem. Please stop spreading the lie that Glocks can not shoot lead boolits. There is a great thread on the subject in this forum, and many people myself included have shot lead in Glocks without issue.

USAFrox
08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh, and USAfrox, Glocks do not have a heavy trigger for what they are. 5.5 pounds for a gun out of the box is not uncommon. It is a 10 minute process to drop in a 3.5 pound trigger if you want one that light. It sounds to me like you shot one Glock in your life that a friend handed you, and it had an aftermarket magazine. That was my first introduction to Glock, and I had the same opinion for 15 years. I dare you to go out and try a gen three Glock with a factory magazine. Report your findings when you do. Glock does not make a factory compensated gun so it sounds a lot like you were firing one with an after market barrel as well. They do make ported guns, but the ports are located at the top of the slide, not at the end of the barrel.

First of all, it's USAFrox (I'm in the USAF), not USAfrox (what's a frox?).

Second, if you had read my post, instead of just jumping to the attack, you would have seen that I have shot TWO different sized Glock .45's, not just one lemon, as you assert.

Thirdly, yes, a friend handed me the compact, which I shot, and which refused to feed certain types of ammunition. Can't speak for whether or not the magazine was aftermarket, because I didn't pay attention to that detail.

The other Glock was a full-sized .45, which I rented from the indoor range at which I was shooting, to see if all the hype was justified. It had a ported barrel (two slots cut in both the barrel and the slide, just behind and to both sides of the front sight). Perhaps my use of the term compensated was in error, as I thought that ported and compensated mean the same thing. If this was confusing, I apologize.

This gun experienced just about every malfunction known to man over the course of about 100 rounds. Failure to feed, intermittent light primer strikes which failed to fire, ejecting the magazine upon firing, etc. I also wasn't a big fan of how the ported barrel threw all kinds of **** in my face, or the way that the huge fireball with every shot obscured the front sight and sight picture. In the low light of the indoor range, it was quite distracting (probably wouldn't have been as big a deal outside in bright sunlight). Being as it was a range gun, and they wouldn't even allow anything but their own factory ammunition to be shot in it (sold to the customer at a healthy markup, to be sure), I highly doubt it was wearing an aftermarket magazine, but anything is possible.

You can shoot lead out of a Glock, and even other reloads. If you are having issues it is most likely an aftermarket barrel that is causing the problem. Please stop spreading the lie that Glocks can not shoot lead boolits. There is a great thread on the subject in this forum, and many people myself included have shot lead in Glocks without issue.

I'm sure that with the right load, cast bullets and reloads can be shot in some, if not all Glocks. But it isn't a lie that the one I SHOT WITH MY OWN HANDS would not feed or fire the cast lead reloads we tried to shoot. It is also not a lie that we then took those very same cast bullet reloads and every single one of them fed and fired in my own H&K USP. Without fail. I really don't appreciate you insinuating that I'm a liar.

As for the other one, again, this was a range gun, so I'm as sure as I can be that it was a stock gun, without all the expensive aftermarket parts you seem determined to find in it.

Seriously, you Glock owners need to grow a thicker skin. Just because someone has a different opinion and different experiences, that doesn't make them a liar, and you don't need to go on the attack to try and discredit them. As I said in my first post in this thread, I'm "glad you like yours - just not for me."

Love Life
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
First of all, it's USAFrox (I'm in the USAF), not USAfrox (what's a frox?).

Second, if you had read my post, instead of just jumping to the attack, you would have seen that I have shot TWO different sized Glock .45's, not just one lemon, as you assert.

Thirdly, yes, a friend handed me the compact, which I shot, and which refused to feed certain types of ammunition. Can't speak for whether or not the magazine was aftermarket, because I didn't pay attention to that detail.

The other Glock was a full-sized .45, which I rented from the indoor range at which I was shooting, to see if all the hype was justified. It had a ported barrel (two slots cut in both the barrel and the slide, just behind and to both sides of the front sight). Perhaps my use of the term compensated was in error, as I thought that ported and compensated mean the same thing. If this was confusing, I apologize.

This gun experienced just about every malfunction known to man over the course of about 100 rounds. Failure to feed, intermittent light primer strikes which failed to fire, ejecting the magazine upon firing, etc. I also wasn't a big fan of how the ported barrel threw all kinds of **** in my face, or the way that the huge fireball with every shot obscured the front sight and sight picture. In the low light of the indoor range, it was quite distracting (probably wouldn't have been as big a deal outside in bright sunlight). Being as it was a range gun, and they wouldn't even allow anything but their own factory ammunition to be shot in it (sold to the customer at a healthy markup, to be sure), I highly doubt it was wearing an aftermarket magazine, but anything is possible.

I'm sure that with the right load, cast bullets and reloads can be shot in some, if not all Glocks. But it isn't a lie that the one I SHOT WITH MY OWN HANDS would not feed or fire the cast lead reloads we tried to shoot. It is also not a lie that we then took those very same cast bullet reloads and every single one of them fed and fired in my own H&K USP. Without fail. I really don't appreciate you insinuating that I'm a liar.

As for the other one, again, this was a range gun, so I'm as sure as I can be that it was a stock gun, without all the expensive aftermarket parts you seem determined to find in it.

Seriously, you Glock owners need to grow a thicker skin. Just because someone has a different opinion and different experiences, that doesn't make them a liar, and you don't need to go on the attack to try and discredit them. As I said in my first post in this thread, I'm "glad you like yours - just not for me."

Calm down. Some people love Glocks and have no problems with them...ever.

Some people hate Glocks and have bunches of problems with them.

It's not entirely impossible for a lemon to squeak out of the Glock factory. Maybe you got a bad one, or the reloads were poor quality, or you may have (Gasp) limp wristed it.

Please do not get offended. I am not insulting you.

All I can say is if you ever get a chance to shoot another Glock, do it and see if that one works better.

I own a couple Glocks (understatement) and Myself and my wife have no issues with them. I let my buddy shoot them (he is a 1911 guy) and he has issues. Hold them like they owe you money, shoot, and enjoy.

USAFrox
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Calm down. Some people love Glocks and have no problems with them...ever.

Some people hate Glocks and have bunches of problems with them.

It's not entirely impossible for a lemon to squeak out of the Glock factory. Maybe you got a bad one, or the reloads were poor quality, or you may have (Gasp) limp wristed it.

Please do not get offended. I am not insulting you.

All I can say is if you ever get a chance to shoot another Glock, do it and see if that one works better.

I own a couple Glocks (understatement) and Myself and my wife have no issues with them. I let my buddy shoot them (he is a 1911 guy) and he has issues. Hold them like they owe you money, shoot, and enjoy.

Thank you for being able to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

Guess both of the Glocks I shot were aberrations, but for me, 2 out of 2 being bad ones was enough to let me know that Glocks were not for me.

Love Life
08-26-2013, 01:28 PM
That's funny, UsaFrox!! I have the opposite experience.

Fo years I swore off 1911 pistols becuase I shelled out big money for 2 lemons. 1 from Springfield and 1 from Kimber. They absolutely sucked! That was the time I started buying Glocks, and all was right with the world for MANY years.

One day I gave the 1911 another try. Another Kimber and it was the bee's knees!! Accurate and reliable with anything I fed it. I subsequently sold that Kimber for a Colt 1911 (another story all together) and have been happy with the 1911 ever since I decided to give them another try.

Try the Glock again, hold it real tight, and just abuse it. See if a new on is better.

W.R.Buchanan
08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
If the mag fell out upon firing, it was NOT seated in the frame completely. This is not an unusual occurrence. It is a common malfunction and is caused by not seating the mag firmly when inserting it. The top round in the mag must be pushed down when seating the mag or this will occur. Happens all the time but it's not the gun's fault. A 1911 or any other auto pistol will do the same thing.

I have a G21SF which is the full sized .45 and it doesn't have ports on the barrel. Ported barrels will throw debris in your face from any gun.

All Glock triggers in commercial guns, not made specifically for a Law Enforcement outfit like NYPD have 5.5 lb. triggers. NYPD"s version has an 11 lb. trigger simply because they don't want any one pulling the trigger without a concerted effort. This can be changed in 2 minutes with $20 worth of commonly available parts.

Glocks 34's and 35's have a 3.5lb trigger and the only difference is a $5 connector that can be installed in less than 2 minutes.

My guns malfunction, and to say any gun doesn't malfunction just indicates it hasn't been shot enough. However my guns have never malfunctioned with factory ammo. Which is all Glocks says you should shoot. They don't care about anybody's Reloads or how they function. I have experienced malfunctions with some of my reloads,however my reloads are hardly up to factory velocities so that can be a problem. However when a malfunction does occur I can clear it in less than 2 seconds, which kind of makes the problem MUTE.

The reason why Glock people get so uppity is because of the literally reams of BS spread about them by less than informed people on the internet.

Your experience with Glock pistols is limited to 100 rounds of questionable ammo. I assure you that if I had present when you were shooting all of the problems you had would have been corrected and your opinion of the gun would have been totally different. You weren't being coached, you were just shooting a gun you had never shot before.,

This is what a "Controlled Training Environment" is. A place where you are taught how to use the gun you brought. Front Sight teaches all handguns, and if it passes the primary inspection, then that gun is suitable for the course, and you will know how to run it when the course is over.

Unless you are shooting 2-300 rounds per week there is plenty to learn on the subject of the handgun. If you are shooting that much there is still plenty to learn on the subject of the handgun! With handguns technique is everything and it must be practiced frequently or you loose it.

I have over 15,000 rounds thru my Glock 35 in .40S&W and about 5,000 thru the G21 .45 ACP. I am a novice!

Give the gun another chance in a class.

The reason why these guns are the preferred gun for training is because of their simplicity.

Only three things you can do to a Glock.

1. insert mag.
2. rack slide.
3. pull trigger.

More complicated guns just require more training that most people never get.

Randy

xacex
08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
just abuse it.

Lol, that is a great tag line for Glock.

"USAFrox", sound like you need thicker skin. I just pointed out your errors. I could care less about your opinion. You obviously didn't pay attention to what you were shooting, and I can tell that by your statements. I'm not going to get into it with you on this board. I like this place, and you are not worth it. If you want to come in and stir the pot with Glock misinformation this is not the place to do it. If there is any firearm that can get folk riled up it is that damn Tupperware.

USAFrox
08-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Your experience with Glock pistols is limited to 100 rounds of questionable ammo. I assure you that if I had present when you were shooting all of the problems you had would have been corrected and your opinion of the gun would have been totally different. You weren't being coached, you were just shooting a gun you had never shot before.

Randy

Hmph. I used to think I was pretty fair at communicating, but this thread is really making me doubt myself.

The two times I've shot Glocks, were two different occasions. First there was a time at a range with a friend who let me shoot his Glock. We tried cast bullet reloads, and his Glock refused to shoot them. Friend gave me all the rest of his cast bullet reloads, which we then fired in my gun, without fail. Then we shot my factory FMJ ammunition in the Glock, and it functioned.

Whole 'nother time for the second Glock, this time a full-size. In this one, we shot 100 rounds of range-bought factory ammunition, since it was a range gun, and they wouldn't let you shoot anything other than that in their guns. Malfunctions right, left, and inbetween. We even took the bullets with the light primer strike that hadn't fired in the Glock and tried them in my own H&K - they shot just fine in my gun.

So, my whole Glock experience wasn't only one time with only one batch of "questionable" ammunition.

I have to say, though, that I can really appreciate the zeal with which you guys defend your gun. You guys obviously like your guns, and I'm glad that they work for you.

Love Life
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Enough of the pissing match!

If you get a chance, shoot another Glock. You might find out it is awesome, but then again you may still dislike the gun. Whether it be for malfunctions or you just don't like how it shoots!

There used to be a few range Glocks on the wall at a shooting range in Jacksonville, NC. Those Glocks always had issues, and actually kept a few people from buying Glocks. I knew the guy who owned the range, and those guns were rarely serviced or cleaned. maybe you ran into one of those guns on one of your Glock shooting occasions. As for the other one, as I said, it is not impossible for a lemon to squeak out of the Glock factory.

Some people like Glocks and some don't. Nobody is wrong, and there is nothing wrong with telling about your experiences with Glocks. In the end it helps the overall picture.

USAFrox
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
"USAFrox", sound like you need thicker skin. I just pointed out your errors.

You did indeed point out my error in calling a ported gun "compensated". Since your correction I've looked up the difference, and I appreciate the correction. The gun I shot was indeed ported, not compensated. Thank you for the correction. I learned something new today.

I could care less about your opinion. You obviously didn't pay attention to what you were shooting, and I can tell that by your statements. I'm not going to get into it with you on this board. I like this place, and you are not worth it.

I "didn't pay attention to what I was shooting"? What? How did I not pay attention to what I was shooting? I can assure you that we followed all safety rules, etc. I'm not sure what you are insinuating here.

If you want to come in and stir the pot with Glock misinformation this is not the place to do it. If there is any firearm that can get folk riled up it is that damn Tupperware.

Obviously this gets people riled up, but what "misinformation" did I pass? I was relating personal experience. There was nothing shared in my experience that was not factual. My wife and my friend were all there and experienced the same issues at the same time. 'Twould be nice if you could communicate without simply hurling insults around.

badge176
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I have had a fully loaded mag drop out of my duty gun (during practice, thank God!). I've since went to down loading all my mags by 1 end so that I always get firm seating and overcome resistance of mag spring with full load of rounds up under the slide- most cops I work with do this as well...

Love Life
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Insert the mag with a daggone sense of purpose!

300savage
08-26-2013, 04:23 PM
I have owned , carried and shot one form or another of glock almost daily for some number of years with totally boring reliability. But do I really like glocks ? No. I appreciate them.
They are good tools, and with just a bit of consideration in seating depth when reloading will literally gobble up cast bullets of about any configuration with its factory barrel.
I personally don't give a flying flip about anyone else's experience with glocks, they have proven themselves to me for far too long, too many rounds, and in too many different conditions for it to be a question anymore.

Its too bad that someone else has had less than the same experience, but to me its kinda like someone saying they have no use for a leatherman, OK sounds good, I've got better things to do than to try and defend something that doesn't need my help.

6bg6ga
08-26-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be perfectly honest here and tell you of my thoughts of the Glock before firing one for the first time and before purchasing one. I was every bit annoyed with them as the rest that do not like Glocks. I saw no use for that darn plastic gun and frankly I swore that hell would freeze over before I ever bought one.

Well, time passes by and I take the dare at a shooting range to try a Glock that the owner wasn't having much luck with as far as accuracy goes. He managed to get roughly 40% of his shots on the target. I was given a challenge to show him what the gun could do. I was handed the gun with a mag of 40 cal and put all 10 in the 10 ring rapid fire. This did amaze me to take a gun that I had never fired before and simply outshoot everyone there.
No malfunctions just a nice smooth operation. Having had 1911's for over 30 years I swore they were absolutely the only gun for me and I didn't want a plastic gun. Well time went on and I found myself asking everyone that I happened to run across at the range if they minded if I shot their Glock and they tried my 1911. I figured more Glocks more chances for that damn plastic gun to have a failure and I would be right. It didn't happen. I shot more Glocks and managed to start liking them enough to purchase not one but two of those damn plastic guns. I've seen them run over by a car and still function like new and this isn't going to be repeated with a 1911.

One more thing..... I can live with the 3.5 lb trigger and the model 23 now sits on the night stand just in case I would happen to need it.

pdawg_shooter
08-26-2013, 09:29 PM
My night stand gun a a 4" Python, and my carry is either a 1911 or the Sig p220. Tupperware
belongs it the kitchen, not the holster.

Love Life
08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Don't hate on the ugly, black, no character, tactical Tupperware!!

300savage
08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
My night stand gun a a 4" Python, and my carry is either a 1911 or the Sig p220. Tupperware
belongs it the kitchen, not the holster.

Oh my what have I been thinking all these years ??
I could have saved so much money on spatulas.. dam and it will still shoot if I am ever attacked while flippin eggs.
What a sellin point..

JesterGrin_1
08-30-2013, 01:45 AM
I know this will sound BAD lol. But I have a Glock 17 in the plastic box it came with of which was one of the first ones imported into the U.S.A. Ok second ones as the first ones were the dreaded pass through metal detector ones lol. Of which I was asked to trade out of lol. I am pretty sure I have fired one full magazine through it of factory ammo and cleaned and back into the Box lol.

The main thing I never liked about it was the Trigger. So to get a 3.5 lb trigger or better what does one need to do without breaking the bank to do it?

JesterGrin_1
08-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Second Post is about the GLOCK itself. :)

The reason I have it as the price was so low I just could not pass it up. It was around $2OO.oo ish out the door. But as others have said to me it was just a Hammer. They are ugly. But they are light and the grip or I should say lack of is small to enable a person without having huge hands to carry a pistol with a double stack magazine.

So as most it was purchased for one reason and one reason only. If and when there would be a real need for such a weapon. Thank Goodness something like that has not come to pass.

Therefore I am happy and very content to carry a lowly Revolver and Single Action most of the time. :)

JakeBlanton
08-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I own a G20 and although I carry it often, I do not like it as much as a M1911. It's ugly, the trigger is not as nice as a M1911, but it is dependable.

The outside edge of the bottom of the the trigger guard needs to be more rounded in my opinion. I find it irritating to my middle finger. Has anyone else noticed this?

6bg6ga
08-30-2013, 06:20 AM
I was in southern Iowa yesterday and found a new source for Glocks. The store is M.C.Sports in ottumwa, IA. Their everyday price of NEW Glocks is $529.00 and this is at least $50-70 cheaper than I have seen new Glocks sell for.

Glocks ugly as they may be always shoot and that is more than I can say for my Colt Officers that I used to carry. The Colt in order to maintain a no fault function needed round nose ammunition. I'm getting used to the trigger on the Glock. I can shhot with accuracy anything I put in my hand.

300savage
08-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Jester it should cost less than 20 bucks, I think the last kit I got was called the "ghost' it came with springs and the connector.
Don't be intimidated , even I could put it in..

And 6-6?? Take a bit of Emory cloth to that finger bitin basted,, whats it gonna do mess up its looks?? Exactly..

W.R.Buchanan
08-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Jester: either get a spring kit from Brownells for $12 which will give you a nice 4lb pull or get a 3.5lb Glock "Connector" also from Brownells.

To install the connector you remove the slide, remove the complete trigger assembly. Stick a small screwdriver under the connector and pry it out of the rear fire control housing and then press the new one in with your thumb. Reassemble gun.

I could do it gate to gate in 1-2 minutes. Since it's your first time it will probably take you 5-6 minutes to do.

Hot tip: Learn to shoot the gun with the 5.5 lb. Trigger. You need to learn to control the trigger first. The lighter trigger pull makes you prone to "mashing."

After you have mastered the gun then you can start playing with the trigger pull. I have been down this road with these guns for the last ten years and I can assure you that there are very few aftermarket things you can do to a Glock that will actually improve it.

An extended slide release from a G34 or 35 is a good thing and gives you a little more purchase for locking the slide back and a JP enterprises extended mag release gives you a little bigger button to hit to drop the mag. Some better sights( I like Dawson's with a green dot in the front.) and a Blade Tech holster pretty much completes the system.

These guns are the simplest guns there are and as a result they are the easiest guns to learn how to run and get acceptable combat results from. Making them more complicated is counter productive.

Here's a pic of my G35 .40S&W, G21SF .45 ACP and SIRT training pistol (shoots a red laser). The Glocks are set up the same for a reason.

You've already got the gun, get a plastic holster, take it out of the box and learn to shoot it. You'll be sold pretty quick.

I haven't steered you wrong yet have I?

Randy

Crash_Corrigan
09-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I have 5 9 MM's. My best shooting one is an EAA Witness Match Elite with a 5" tube. It came with the best trigger I have ever seen on a factory weapon. It has good sights and shoots a 3/4" group at 25 yds offa sandbags. It is a great target gun but it is too big and heavy for a carry gun.

My favorite 9 MM is my 1982 made and assembled in Belgium Browning Hi-Power. I had been looking for a good one for twenty years. I stumbled across this one in my favorite gun shop and it was in NIB condition without any evidence of having been fired. I put on a good set of Houge cocobolo smooth grips and swapped out the factory trigger and had the trigger disconnect removed. It now had a trigger pull of 4# compared to the factory trigger of 9#. I love the way it looks and handles and it shoots very well. Not as good at the EAA Witness but it packs well and can be concealed pretty good. I favor a strong side carry in a IWB leather holster just behind the hipbone and hardly prints at all with the lack of checkering and the smooth grips. This is a classic gun and it is just too good looking and perfectly balanced to be abused. I only shoot standard velocity rounds in it at the range. When carrying it I favor the Buffalo Bore 147 Gr +P+ HP's. These are a very powerful and accurate round with excellent terminal ballistics. The only gun that produces noticeable recoil with this round is the Sig as it is so light

Then I have a Ruger Flatop 357/38/9MM with the extra cylinder. This is a fun gun and a great plinker in 9 MM. Perfect balance and an excellent shooter.

The latest is a Sig Sauer P2022. Steel slide and a polymer frame. Light and easily pointed and a joy to shoot. Excellent sights and a formidable weapon from a shoulder holster with a 17 round magazine and one in the throat. Excellent grips and a fully ergonomic pistol. It fits my hand perfectly and is a joy to shoot. I generally carry this one in a leather shoulder rig and after an hour or so you tend to forget you have it on at all because of the way the weight is distributed across your whole back and shoulders. I wear a vest over it and with a couple of extra mags I never feel undergunned with this weapon.

I also have a tiny SCCY single stack 9 MM. Although it holds only 10 rounds in the magazine it is so small and easy to carry and shoot that there is never any reason not to walk around packing a decent self defense weapon. This is a DAO action with a safety. The only issue I have with it is the proud magazine button. It has been depressed accidently many times and for that reason I will probably get rid of it unless I can resolve that issue. Maybe there is another magazine release button that is more difficult to depress?