PDA

View Full Version : RCBS APS Strips

wch
08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
During the primer panic I bought some CCI primers in the APS strips; I'm unwilling to invest in yet another hand or press mounted priming tool and would like to know how you remove the primers from the trips.
(Safety and zero contamination are paramount, of course).
Thanks.

M Hicks
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I've never dealt with the strips but almost purchased some for the same reason as you. It might be time consuming but would you be able to use a nail that has a head close to the size of the primer and push it out from the strip? This should be interesting to figure out.

wch
08-08-2013, 11:18 AM
M Hicks, I hadn't thought much about the question until you answered with your suggestion above.
I'm going to start there (with the nail or something of similar size, maybe a plastic or wood dowel) and see where it leads.
Thanks.

LabGuy
08-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Being that I’m kind of lazy the first thing I would do is try to swap them with a local loader/caster who primes with RCBS strips. Where you located? I think anyone who uses APS would gladly swap 1 to 1. If I couldn’t pull that off, I would press them out using a cylindrical piece of plastic, wood or brass.

JWFilips
08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Easy one. Take a nice little wooden dowel & sharpen in a pencil sharpener
Hold the strip (primer opening facing towards your top half of your primer shaker tray ... not the serrated bottom) push out easily and they are ready for your priming tube with out any shaking. I'm starting to like them better then the ones in the boxes. I don't drop any on the floor anymore when I only need a few!
Cost a bit more however

chsparkman
08-08-2013, 12:17 PM
OP, where are you located? If you're near northern Virginia I'll swap with you. I have a good supply of CCI small and large pistol primers.

Taylor
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a brand new setup with the strips,used it one or two times never liked it.If something good comes along for trade it's gone.

Reloader06
08-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Well, if you separate the primers from the strips, I'd be interested in the strips.

Matt

JWFilips
08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Well, if you separate the primers from the strips, I'd be interested in the strips.

Matt

I have been tossing them in recycling but I can start saving them for you

Like I said I don't have an APS system but when they became available in this Small Pistol Primer debacle we are going through I grabbed them up
I really don't mind punching them out into my primer tray