PDA

View Full Version : Darr lube

sirAIG
08-04-2013, 06:53 PM
hey all,

just cast and lubed up my first 200 boolits. I made a batch of darr lube with stp oil treatment. I was running out of time at my cabin which is where i do all of my casting, so i lubed the bullets sitting in a cooler of ice. it set the lube up very quickly which allowed me to leave on time. The lube is hard as i can tell - but when i poke the bullets though, some of the lube is falling right out of the lube grooves. Is this just the properties of darr lube, or does it need to setup overnight?

harryman
08-04-2013, 09:55 PM
I just made my first batch of the same lube today for some 450gr 45/70 . I let cool to room temp for about 20mins before pushing them out, lube stayed in the grooves with no problems . maybe cooled to much before pushing them out.

sirAIG
08-04-2013, 09:56 PM
what mix ratio did you use? and did you use stp oil treatment or other additives?

harryman
08-04-2013, 11:09 PM
I used 1lb gulf wax 1lb Vaseline 1tbl spoon oil treatment and 2 crayons for color, I just heated the wax until melted added the Vaseline stirred until it was mixed well then added the oil treatment stirred it for a few minutes then poured it into the pan with bullets let it setup for about 20mins then pushed them out.

sirAIG
08-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Hmm the recipe I found said to use 2tbsp of STP. Maybe that is why I am having trouble with it being too soft. I wanted to lube a bunch of bullets to load at a future date. But the lube is so soft if it get bumped it just falls off

NuJudge
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Make a "cake cutter" to remove the bullets from the lube, if you continue to have trouble: just cut the head off a fired case, and press the mouth of the case down over each of the bullets.

I have no experience with Darr lube.

DrCaveman
08-05-2013, 10:04 PM
My first couple of tries with Darr lube went the same way

Lanolin helped a little

Since then i just dip lube and then run them through my Lee sizer. Pretty much perfect fill of the grooves, the only extra work for me is keeping the bases and noses clean. Not sure that it matters anyway, but since im looking for consistency, i wipe em clean

Harter66
08-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Its all I use modified for the 100* desert heat. Mine is 18oz pariffine/candle wax/canning wax 14oz Vasoline 3tsb of STP . This makes it a little harder and a little slicker.......I think.

I hand lube each boolit as most of my naked boolits are shot as cast due to fat bores throats etc.I havent tried to pan lube since X2 had a fit over boolits in the beer fridge.