PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk and .38 Specials

exile
08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a 6 1/2" blued Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum that I really like (it has the smaller grips like on the anniversary models). My problem with it is that with the rear sight cranked all the way up it shoots .38 Specials (4.1 grains of Unique under a 158 grain Keith style SWC) about six inches high. I basically bought the gun to shoot .357 magnums, but find that I really enjoy the light recoiling loads. If it was a stainless model, I suppose I could just change the front sight, but with the blued model that is not an option, not an easy one anyway. Any suggestions on how to get this revolver to shoot to point of aim with light loads?

The gun also has came (new) with the screw that holds the grip to the frame broken off short. I called Ruger when I got it, and they just laughed and assured me that the gun was fine. There doesn't appear to be a problem shooting .357 magnum loads, but it is unsightly as the threads appear to be damaged as well. Any suggestions?

Yes, I have had this gun for several years, and I MAY have posted about these issues before, but I can't remember.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(I don't think they make a Blackhawk with the small grip frame anymore, at least the ones I have seen lately have gone back to the larger grip frame.)

exile

Outpost75
08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Raising the rear sight makes it shoot high. Lower the rear sight to lower the point of impact.

Always move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to go.

You can get replacement screws at nominal cost from Brownells and replace those needed yourself.

Tatume
08-04-2013, 05:50 PM
My problem with it is that with the rear sight cranked all the way up it shoots .38 Specials (4.1 grains of Unique under a 158 grain Keith style SWC) about six inches high. Any suggestions on how to get this revolver to shoot to point of aim with light loads?

This may sound flip, but crank the rear sight down.

The gun also came (new) with the screw that holds the grip to the frame broken off short. I called Ruger when I got it, and they just laughed and assured me that the gun was fine. There doesn't appear to be a problem shooting .357 magnum loads, but it is unsightly as the threads appear to be damaged as well. Any suggestions?

I cannot picture what you're talking about. There are five screws that hold the grip frame to the revolver frame, and one screw that holds the grip panels to the grip frame. The threads on none of them are visible when installed. Which screw troubles you?

Take care, Tom

Tatume
08-04-2013, 05:53 PM
You can get replacement screws at nominal cost from Brownells and replace those needed yourself.

The screws that hold the grip frame to the revolver frame are quite specialized. Brownells does carry Ruger screws, but one must know exactly which screw to order. All five that hold the grip frame are different from one another, and the screw in the grip panels is unique as well.

Take care, Tom

exile
08-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Raising the rear sight makes it shoot high. Lower the rear sight to lower the point of impact.

Always move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to go.

Well, don't I feel stupid? Not an infrequent occurrence actually. Thanks.

exile

exile
08-04-2013, 06:03 PM
If you turn the gun over, so that you are looking at the bottom of the trigger guard, it is the screw that is in front of the trigger guard that has broken off. Taking the cylinder out reveals that the threads in the frame itself are damaged.

exile

Tatume
08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
If you turn the gun over, so that you are looking at the bottom of the trigger guard, it is the screw that is in front of the trigger guard that has broken off. Taking the cylinder out reveals that the threads in the frame itself are damaged.

exile

I would send this gun back to Ruger. If your local gun dealer is a friend or values your business, he can mail it for you for about $21. Otherwise you'll have to pay for next day air delivery by UPS or FedEx.

gray wolf
08-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Call ruger, and insist they pick it up and fix it, and what kind of crapp is this laughing at you. Speak to a supervisor and tell them you have a problem and the person you spoke to told you to pound sand, ( unheard of ) Broke is broke.
Ruger mails you or sends you over the net a pre paid label,
it cost you nothing and the fix will probably be free.
I wouldn't stand for that for one Sec. Who cares how the screw got broke--it's broke and they need to fix it. If you broke it---be nice but firm.

exile
08-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Call ruger, and insist they pick it up and fix it, and what kind of crapp is this laughing at you. Speak to a supervisor and tell them you have a problem and the person you spoke to told you to pound sand, ( unheard of ) Broke is broke.
Ruger mails you or sends you over the net a pre paid label,
it cost you nothing and the fix will probably be free.
I wouldn't stand for that for one Sec. Who cares how the screw got broke--it's broke and they need to fix it. If you broke it---be nice but firm.

I think I will call them again and see what they will do. At least they could look at it and give me an opinion, that can't cost them too much, can it? The way it looks to me, it would be fairly difficult to blame me for the damage, but you never know?

9.3X62AL
08-05-2013, 12:31 AM
The fool who laughed at your difficulty needs firing. That issue as described is a factory eff-up, and they need to fix it on their dime. The End.