PDA

View Full Version : Bulls Eye 125gr RN 9mm, leading problem.

Wheeljack
08-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I just started loading with a .358 boolit, BHN 16. It looks like the leading is less with this larger boolit, but there is still some. The barrel in the Hi-Points is gross. Machine marks around the bore. I thought they were cut into the bore but on examination they did not seem even with the bore but raised. They seem better after a little emery cloth sanding. :-x I wouldn't do this to my Kimber, if I had one.
With my 125gr LRN BB bullet, I'm using 3.4 gr Bulls Eye. I love all the company data with mostly CYA figures. So, I know I can go down to 3.3gr of BE, with the Lyman pointed boolits (#358093) and 1.115OAL. They show a 1011 fps. I was using a COL of 1.140 and wonder if anyone has a load for about 900fps.

MT Gianni
08-04-2013, 11:06 PM
If you can see machining marks with the naked eye, the bullet is not the problem and neither velocity nor hardness will fix it. Replace the bbl or the gun or relegate it to a fire one magazine then clean regimen.

Wheeljack
08-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I think your right.

Silverboolit
08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
How did you clean up the inside of the bore with emery paper?

Wheeljack
08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
How did you clean up the inside of the bore with emery paper?
Wrapped and taped a narrow piece of emery paper over a piece of dowel. Slid it into the bore until it was at the rough area and then worked it back and forth a few times. You could really feel the roughness. I'm not the only one to complain about the barrels. This the second barrel in this gun. The first was a way oversized barrel with 3 grooves. This one has 9 grooves. The warranty does not cover reloads, so I can't complain about leading. Hey, for $170, I'm having fun. Before I was using .356 boolits and the leading was bad and hard to remove, with the new .358 bullets the leading was easily removed because I think it was only from the scratches in the barrel and not from the gasses melting the lead.
I'll have to run some more rounds down the barrel and see how it looks now.