PDA

View Full Version : Gas cutting? Or galling?

gray wolf
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Can someone explain what the difference is between the two and how to identify them. What does galling look like and what is the reason for it.

thanks

pesty one

leftiye
10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Gas cutting occurs when your boolit isn't sealing the bore, and hot powder gasses push by the boolit. The hot gasses melt some of the boolit (cutting) and spray it forward down the barrel.

Galling occurs when the friction between two pieces of metals' surfaces causes enough heat to melt one of the metals. The melted metal welds to the other metal. This sounds like plain old leading so far. The difference is that galling generally concerns very high pressures pushing the metals together at low speed. Like when the boolit is first moving.

I saw your other thread, and tried to figure if your description was galling. My best guess is that it is as the lead seemed from the description to push out pretty easily. My guess is that you were getting relatively thick deposits, and that sucessive boolits were doing the same repeatedly. Which description applies to all leading except that most of the leading I've seen proceeded more slowly in "washes" which are more h*!!ish to remove.

gray wolf
10-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes this was a funny thing how it happened. I had thick lead deposits just after the rifling begins. It was not smooth it was like a little lumpy and caked on It brushed out rather easy
like it wasn't bonded to the barrel steel. It was about 1 1/2 inches long, the rest of the barrel was normal. Yes it was after less than 15 rounds.
I think I said that my metal was on the soft side. I normally shoot 250 rounds with very, very little leading. Charge was 4.7 tite group 230 gr. LRN.

P/S thank you for hanging in there on this one.
I read every word.

gray wolf
10-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey I don't want to beat a dead horse on this or be a pest But I was Just told this and I thought I would run it by ya,ll.
They said that the leading I was getting was free Antimony because I did not add extra tin to the range lead I was using. I never heard of this. Could this be so??
If it is I have some blocks of plumbers wiping solder should I add some ??

Bass Ackward
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
GW,

What is free antimony? I shoot a lot of soft stuff with and with out tin. Both can and will lead and both will not lead. Depends on me, not the lead.

Gas cutting is from a lack of seal. Most common causes are not enough neck tension, bullet too hard for pressure, bullet deformed in forcing cone from poor alignment / timing, constriction of the barrel in the frame, bullet diameter too small, stripping, or poor barrel dimensions in general.

Galling is from friction. Common causes are gas cutting blew off the lube, bullets too big for bore, tapered bore, little or poor lube, too much pressure on bullet base, rough bore surface.

Free antimony? Oh boy. See the reasons above.

44man
10-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Doesn't sound right because any range lead that has antimony is also going to have tin in it. It takes very little tin, anything over 2% is a waste. It sounds like undersize boolits more then anything.

gray wolf
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
just thought I would ask. I never have heard of this before.

Ricochet
10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
They said that the leading I was getting was free Antimony because I did not add extra tin to the range lead I was using. I never heard of this. Could this be so??
The answer is simple: No.