PDA

View Full Version : tool for a boxer type to install the bardan?

sparkz
08-04-2013, 09:25 AM
I have a Bunch of Yugo. Brass (7,62x39) Bardan Primed, and I also have come across some bardan primers (Tula)

can a body use a prime tool for a boxer type to install the bardan?
I have the press type and a Lee handheld, thought we could use the hydro method for removal of old primers
has anyone tryed this?

or has anyone made the tools for bardan removal and install?
Cant be so hard to do, tool looks like its just a claw and a 2 pinned rod i am thinkin for flash hole cleaning, but how did ya install the new unit?

It Looks like the removal tool is an easy tool to make,,
but i have not held one to really get a good look yet.
Patrick

gnoahhh
08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
In a word, no, you can't use standard .210" Boxer priming tools to seat Berdan primers, depending on the size Berdan primers used. You'll have to measure their diameters and see what you are dealing with, and alter/fabricate your tooling accordingly. I got lucky once and my old Herters primer arm had enough slop in it to seat a certain size military Berdan primer (I don't remember which). Later, my RCBS tool had to have a custom pusher made.

After screwing around with a Lachmiller/RCBS Berdan de-priming tool (and tearing up a bunch of case rims, marring the anvils in the primer pockets, and breaking a boat load of those little 'digger' pins), I gave up and switched to the hydraulic method of de-capping. Then I got smart and said to heck with the whole Berdan priming system and never looked back.

NuJudge
08-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I have used standard .210" Boxer priming tools to reload .217" Berdan primed cases. Hundreds of 7.62x39 and x54R, and thousands of 7.5x55 cases. The Lee hand tools balked a bit, and RCBS press priming arm worked also. You want to seat your primers just a little below flush. Using the Lee tool, I jury rigged a stop for the lever, seated the primer to the stop, twisted the case 180 degrees & seated to the stop again, run a finger over it to check for below flush, and done.

Your biggest problem will be getting the right primers. The Tula KV24N is the one you want. Berdan primers come in a lot of different sizes, heights, hardnesses and strengths. This primer is .217" diameter, short for this diameter, hard, and relatively weak. Use of these in larger cases than the 7.62x39 resulted in hang fires and duds, apparently because they don't have much explosive strength.

Tula also makes the KV7.62N, which is intended for 7.62x51 class cases. It is .217" diameter, tall for the size, softer, with much more explosive power. I am scared to use these in a firearm that does not have a firing pin retraction spring, because of how soft they seem to me.

There are lots of other sizes and heights of Berdan primer out there, and sometimes different makers of the same caliber would use different size Berdan primers.

There are various methods to remove the dead Berdan primer, basically by hooking it out, or by hydraulically pushing it out. One poster on the Swiss Rifles board shows using an old file for sharpening chainsaw blades punching into and hooking out the primer from an immobilized case. The RCBS tool is another hook tool. By far, most of my decapping has been done with the RCBS tool.

There are various hydraulic methods. The simplest is to set up your press somewhere you don't mind getting everything wet. Remove the decapping/expander spindle from your FL die & install the FL die. Lubricate and size all your cases. Remove the decapping pin from the spindle and reinstall the spindle with the expander placed so it will go only a little way into the case. Fill all the cases you wish to decap with water. Install one on the case holder. Move the ram up until the expander is just touching the case mouth. Smartly move the ram up. With all but tightly crimped military primers, they should pop right out.

On the FAL Files board, I have been working with a poster named Shlomo who has a press mounted tool with a ram on top which is expensive, but much quicker, and works by water.

Eddie2002
08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
I've been reloading Berdan 30-06 brass for about a year. Check You-tube and watch the punch and pry method of Berdan primer removal. All I have been using is a sharp awl and light weight ball peen hammer. I hold the case in a piece of oak that has been drilled so the case is a tight fit. I have also cut a slot in the wood so when it is clamped in a vice the hole can be squeezed tighter on the casing. To decap the berdan primer tap the awl in at an angle using the firing pin dent as a starting point. Once the awl has punched through the primer give it a pry and it will come out. Sometimes it takes more than one try but it will work once you get the technique down. To clean the flash holes use a tip cleaner from a welding set, they have a lot of different sizes of wire files and a small one works fine. To push a primer into the case I use the primer arm on my old Lyman Spartan press with a large rifle primer cup onn it. Just don't press the primer in too hard, you can set a Berdan primer off by seating it too hard. Hope this helps.

sparkz
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
W have collected 1000 of The Tula KV24N
I / We did not want to buy to many if we could not work out the load issues,
the Brass is unfired yugo 7,62x39 in a spam can so i got these so we can load them after we spent the rounds
they are one of the only brass not steel hulls i know of and we bought them about 4 years ago at about 8cents each haha, wish we bought a truck full now,

I even thought about gettin a chamber, like a berral stub from a de-miled kit to hold brass for the punch and pry method,
but I do like the Hydro method and will try both as summers not so bad to get wet, haha

Thanks guys for more ideas
I do have 300+ brand new Lupa brass but dont want to start them out with AK Dents
May sell them to fund this if i get it working out well

Patrick

leadman
08-06-2013, 04:03 AM
I have removed berdan primers by using a very small drill bit and drilling a hole just in from the side of the primer, then I use an awl to hook it out. Don't hit the anvil in the center of the primer hole.
THe block of wood works well to hold the case.

WILCO
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
There's also a thread or two around here on converting those berdan cases to boxer.