PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Lee press for swaging

flashgordon1
08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
A little back ground is in order....I've been out of reloading for at least 20 years. I'm amazed at the progress in equipment, but at the same time it's all very familiar!
At this time I reload .218 Bee, .22-250, .32S&W Long, .38 Special, .380 ACP, .40 S&W and 45ACP.
In the 70's I dabbled in swaging, even making a homemade 45ACP half jacket die that worked very well except for the RCBS jr press I was using it on! It required a heathy cheater bar, but held up well. Unfortunately the die has disappeared during multiple state moves and marriages! But moving on, I want a press to do mutiple chores, that is be the perfect turret press, swage 50 cal. caliber bullet, be unbreakable and cost less than $ 50 dollars! In other words reinvent the wheel!
All kidding aside I was thinking of maybe taking a Lee Classic Cast Turret press and making a 3/4 or 1 inch steel plate to replace the aluminum turret. That would make a single hole very strong conversion plate for swaging operations. That way I'd have a nice turret press and a reasonably strong press for light swaging operations that I'd like to do, that is 32S&W solid lead hollow base button nose bullets. I've already ordered the die from Corbin, but I'm not holding my breath on delivery!
I've read quite a few posts on the virtues of the RCBS Rockchucker vs the Lee Classic Cast and it seem to be a Ford vs Chevy argument! So I've been torn between the two to replace the RCBS Jr. and thought maybe the above solution might kill two birds with one stone so to say. But at the same time the plate I'm proposing might cost about the same as a used Rockchucker or maybe a CH to do the swaging. Having never seen a Lee C C up close and personal, does this idea sound reasonable and feasible?
If the plate sounds like a doable solution, anyone know what to expect on the cost or someone here on the forum that might want to take on making it? At this time I don't have any machinery to make it except a drill press. I would think it might be something that might appeal to quite a few people.
I was really impressed with the ingenuity and quality that I've seen on the homemade swaging presses that I saw on posts here on the forum....like I said very impressive!

Thanks, Tom

khamill2000
08-12-2013, 02:41 PM
The Classic Cast Turret is not a good press for Swaging. The shell plate has movement (slop) that would not be good for swaging. In addition, I doubt it could handle the strain.

Your Idea of replacing the shell plate with steel does not solve this problem. The slop still remains and the metal that holds the plate is still aluminum. Or perhaps you are suggesting that you replace the entire top of the press with steel? Sounds like a lot of work for a press that will never be as strong and the cast O-frame would be.

flashgordon1
09-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. There has been a lot of discussion on the Classic cast here on the forum so I thought this was a pretty strong platform. I wasn't aware of the slop issue, good to know.
And yes, I was thinking of replacing the entire aluminum on top parts with 3/4 steel.
But in all reality it was just an idea. Since I originally posted this I've aquired an older (60's) CH H press that someone has already modified with 3/4 steel top plate and 3/4 steel shell holder platen that uses bronze bushings. I talked with Dave at CH to ask about the aluminum base. He told me he knew of no failure from swaging or case forming, only abuse such as being dropped. I wanted a little history on it before I commited to buying it, even if the price was reasonable. I do still have to drill and tap the top plate and do some some work on the bottom plate to allow for removal of spent primers if it is needed for reloading. Plus I think by changing the plates, other type dies could be used. And I do have a RCBS 1977 Rockchucker as a back up!

Jupiter7
09-04-2013, 11:14 AM
The classic cast SINGLE stage is a strong press. The classic cast turret with quick change heads would not be viable for swaging. I have both. Reloading pistol calibers on the turret is a breeze. The classic cast single gets reforming and rifle loading, eventually swaging as my dies come in. Eventually, I'll have 4 presses, one dedicated to swaging.

Whiterabbit
09-04-2013, 12:26 PM
actually, im not sure the classic cast SINGLE STAGE is suitable for swaging. I broke it oversizing bullets once.

Don;t get me wrong, I love the press and to this day I use it for sizing. If I ever get into swaging I will PROBABLY start by trying the lee classic cast.

But the weak point is very obvious, and its not the business end or the ram.

This is what will break:
http://leeprecision.com/lever-sleeve.html
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/2780.jpg

So, the bottom of this piece is ribbed to interlock with the first mechanical-advantage lever of the classic cast. It is this piece that allows us to rotate the handle and turn the press upside down when we want. It is a huge advantage, and the weak point. Well, only weak if you use a breaker bar:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76199&d=1373875372

Note the original lever arm is bent. That should have been a warning that I was being stupid.....

Anyways, I see the same setup on the classic cast turret press. I expect that linkage to be the weakest point also on the turret model.

---------

Still a great press (the single stage, I love mine). Might be up to swaging if that part were steel, not aluminum.

Sitzme
09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
If you can tolerate a shorter stroke you can double the leverage by relocating the bolt shown to the right of the lever sleeve. There is a thread here about doing it. I have been resizing some .223 brass for eventual use as .338 bullets and they pop right thru without a lot of force on the handle. It may still be possible to break parts if you really give a go though! Still waiting on dies so I can't say anything about actual use for swaging.

anotherred
09-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Rabbit, Yes that piece will break, but it is also weldable. If you don't have a welder they really are not too expensive from lee.

Whiterabbit
09-05-2013, 12:48 AM
four bucks. I know. :) I can't weld aluminum at home.