PDA

View Full Version : New Style Lee 6 Cavity Sprue Lever

leadman
08-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I got this new style lever on a mold from Andy Lee about a week ago. He said I am the first one outside the factory to have one of these. It has a longer stroke to aid in opening the sprue plate which is a big help. No more putting a screwdriver blade between the mold and the lever to gain leverage.
The mold on the right has the new lever, while the one on the left is the old lever. Same in the pictures of the levers, the one on the right is the new lever.
Andy said these are not ready for release yet and he did not say when they would be.

It was kinda strange as I was just planning to file part of the top of an old lever back just like the new one is. He probably mailed the mold with the new laver to me about the time I was thinking of this.

jmort
08-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Advancement/improvement - I like it.

M Hicks
08-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Looks like it would be useful. Did they change the material they are made out of or is it still the same stuff? I have had a couple break on me before and it is kind of a pain in the rear.

taco650
08-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Now if they'd just make the sprue plate out steel...

Walter Laich
08-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I cast one cavity, then two...up to all 6 so I don't have problems with the lever cutting the sprue but I can see where the new one would be an improvement

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Now if they'd just make the sprue plate out steel...

That would be GREAT !!!

Artful
08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Looks good - how do "you" like it when casting?

leadman
08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
It works great when casting. I tried it with the mold too cold on purpose and it cut the sprue fine. This eleminates the excessive force on the sprue plate when the old lever bottomed out if one did not put the screwdriver blade between the mold and lever face.
I think this should eleminate the majority of broken sprue plates.

leadman
08-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Spoke with Andy Lee this morning and he said all the new 6 cavity molds are now shipped with this sprue lever. It is also available as a replacement part.
Andy also said there is a change on the stub that the wooden handle slides on. It is now barbed and should not slide off.

Lee's phone number is 262-673-3075 if you want to purchase a new lever.

Colorado4wheel
08-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I like my old broken lever. It's cool.