PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin scones

Jim
08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Janet got a recipe from JeffinNZ for pumpkin scones. The first batch came out of the oven about 30 minutes ago. Oh, gosh, them things are good! And they have been given the seal of approval by Dolly, Inspector 13 for all food products.

Jeff, Janet says you done ya' Ma proud!

winelover
08-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Recipe??? Please

Winelover

reloader28
08-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I really like scones.
I'm glad you posted this. Made me remember that the wife made scones yesterday.
Orange/cranberry and chocolate/walnut. I had to go and get one of each. MMMMMM
I like them all, but I think my favorite is lemon/poppyseed.
Going to have to try pumpkin this fall.

Reverend Al
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I bake a lot of scones too (must be my English background and upbringing that prompts it?) and if you're a fan of the "Starbucks Pumpkin Scones" that they sell in their coffee shops up here in the Pacific Northwest then here is a "clone" recipe for them complete with both of the glazes that they use ...

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg
6 tablespoons cold butter

Plain Glaze

1 cup plus 1 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk

Spiced Icing

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch ground ginger
pinch ground cloves

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ginger in a large bowl.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half-and-half, and eggs.
4. Cut butter into cubes then add it to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry knife or a fork to combine butter with dry ingredients. Continue mixing until no chunks of butter are visible. You can also use a food processor: Pulse butter into dry ingredients until it is the texture of cornmeal or coarse sand.
5. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and then form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1 -inch thick rectangle that is about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide. Use a large knife or a pizza wheel to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut those three slices diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough.
6. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled or lined with parchment paper. Scones should begin to turn light brown.
7. While scones cool, prepare plain glaze by combining ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. Mix until smooth.
8. When scones are cool, use a brush to paint a coating of the glaze over the top of each scone.
9. As that white glaze firms up, prepare spiced icing by combining ingredients in another medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (at least 1 hour). A squirt bottle works great for this, or you can drizzle with a whisk. Makes 6 large scones.

500MAG
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I love scones. I am heading Walmart tonite for sure.
Thanks

Reverend Al
08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
If you're not feeling quite that energetic as the Starbucks scones take a bit of extra effort to assemble, then this is my "standard" Pumpkin Scone recipe ...

Pumpkin Scones

3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (widely available)
1 cup chopped Pecans

1/2 cup butter, very cold, cut into small pieces

½ cup milk
½ cup pure Pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

1 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp Turbinado sugar

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and chopped pecans in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Scatter the butter dice over the dry ingredients. With your fingers, blend in the butter by squeezing it with the flour until it is well distributed. The mixture will still appear dry, this is fine.

In a bowl or glass measure, mix together the milk, pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla. Once combined, add to the dry ingredients. Knead gently for 1 minute (this is best done by hand in the bowl while turning the bowl).

On a cookie sheet lined with parchment or foil, form the dough into a round, 7” in diameter and 1 ½ " thick. If desired, brush with 1 tablespoon of milk and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar. Cut circle into 6 pie shaped pieces, separating them slightly to bake.

Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for another 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with butter, honey or jam.

Reverend Al
08-04-2013, 03:51 PM
The recipes I listed above are a couple of my favorites, but I'm still hoping to see Jeff / Janet / Jim's Pumpkin Scone recipe from the start of this thread to "compare notes" though ...!
:coffeecom

Reverend Al
08-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Here is another Pumpkin Scone recipe that I've tried ... a bit more complicated, but good results in the end!

Pumpkin Scones

1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp brandy or water
3/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter (chilled)
1 15oz can pumpkin
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (best to use real vanilla extract)

Lightly oil a baking sheet. In a small saucepan, mix together the brandy and sugar and cook over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to med to med high and bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes or until mixture turns amber color but be careful not to burn it. Stir in the nuts immediately and then don't waste any time turning the mixture out onto the oiled cookie sheet. Let cool until hardened and then chop into pieces.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (350 for a convection oven) and also lightly butter a cookie sheet or I like to use a Pampered Chef pizza stone.

In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour through salt) and then cut the butter into pieces. Place the butter in with the dry ingredients and using a pastry blender (or two knives) cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, stir together the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture and stir together (works best to use hands for this). Add the caramelized nuts and mix together. The dough will be sticky.

You can add other goodies like, chocolate chips, raisins, pumpkin seeds, dates, or butterscotch chips if you like.

Spread the dough on the pizza stone or cookie sheet and pat it into a 9 or 10 inch circle. Leave the center of the circle a little higher than the outer edges of the circle to get that typical scone look after cutting. Now, with a knife cut the dough into 8 wedges. Lightly sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top of the scones.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (25 to 30 minutes for convection oven) or until lightly browned and when a toothpick is inserted into one of the scones, it comes out clean.

After the scones come out of the oven, re-cut them into wedges. Serve warm with some butter placed in the middle of the scones if desired. If you prefer a little sweeter scone, you can mix some maple syrup with the butter.

500MAG
08-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I just gotta talk the wife into making them.

Reverend Al
08-04-2013, 04:00 PM
OK ... one more Pumpkin Scone recipe ...

Caramel-Glazed Pumpkin Scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup ground ginger
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (all pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract

Caramel glaze
(I halved the original recipe and had more than enough)

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
3. With clean hands, work the butter into the dry mixture until it is thoroughly incorporated and has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs. (Or use a pastry cutter)
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract into the well. Using a wooden spoon, combine ingredients until dry mixture is wet. Don't over mix.
5. Depending on desired scone size, scoop batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. (I used a 1/3 cup measurer.)
6. Bake the scones for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the scones cool slightly on the baking sheet (about 20 minutes) before glazing them.
7. While the scones are cooling, prepare the caramel glaze: Place the butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk gently until the mixture is smooth. Just as the mixture comes to a light boil, add the heavy cream and reduce the heat to low. Whisk well for 2 minutes, or until the glaze is thickened and smooth; then remove the pan from the heat.
8. To glaze a scone, hold it by the bottom, dip the top in the warm caramel glaze, and place it back on the baking sheet. (I used salad tongs to help me with this!)

scottiemom
08-06-2013, 06:21 PM
easy easy easy!! just a few ingredients- many thanks to Jeff in NZ's mum for sharing!

2 tablespoons of butter-softened
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup cold mashed pumpkin (I used canned -Janet)
2 cups of white flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and beat. Add pumpkin and beat. Add dry ingredients and mix in well. Kneed the dough and roll out to about 3/4 inch thick. Brush with milk. Cut into suitable size pieces and bake at 250C/480F for 10-12 minutes.

Reverend Al
08-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Super ... thanks for the recipe! I'll have to give this version a "test drive" sometime soon ...
:happy dance:

SciFiJim
08-07-2013, 11:58 PM
easy easy easy!! just a few ingredients- many thanks to Jeff in NZ's mum for sharing!

2 tablespoons of butter-softened
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
1 cup cold mashed pumpkin (I used canned -Janet)
2 cups of white flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg and beat. Add pumpkin and beat. Add dry ingredients and mix in well. Kneed the dough and roll out to about 3/4 inch thick. Brush with milk. Cut into suitable size pieces and bake at 250C/480F for 10-12 minutes.

I am not a fan of pumpkin, but I imagine that mashed sweet potato can be substituted for the pumpkin to good effect.

L Ross
08-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Didn't this forum feature Ma Brown's pumpkin scones a few months back? Can these be linked? I tried the earlier recipe and they were great. Can't wait to try these recipes also.

Duke