PDA

View Full Version : removing double sided tape help

slim1836
08-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Anyone have a quick fix on removing double sided tape?
I've got two ammo style cans (actually night vision goggles) that are padded throughout.
Took the padding out for more room. Can't get the double sided tape
off the can. Tried "Goo Gone" and it hardly made a dent. Won't peel or scrape off.
Tried using my power sprayer (home model) and failed.
Thought of burning it out but hate to mess up the OD paint.
Any suggestions?

Slim

DougGuy
08-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Goof Off. Works on any tape I have seen so far..

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
One of the products I routinely use in my job are Panduit tie-wrap stick Tabs. They have some of the strongest adhereing double stick foam adhesive I have ever used. once I pry off one of these stick tabs that was applied in the wrong spot, I scrape off all the foam with a cheapo plastic paint scraper (so as to NOT destroy the paint), then all that's left is the adhesive. I use Lacquer thinner to remove that adhesive, but it usually thins the paint, if it's not a powder coat.
Good Luck,
Jon

jcameron996
08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Try some un du adhesive remover. You can generally find it in the crafts department at wal-mart. Put a generous portion on the tape, wait a couple of minutes and you should be able to scrape/wipe it right off.

Lefty SRH
08-03-2013, 04:05 PM
WD-40, no joke, let it soak!

slim1836
08-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Goof Off. Works on any tape I have seen so far..

That's what I did, goofed off and when I came back it was still there.

Slim

slim1836
08-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Gonna try WD-40 now.

gbrown
08-03-2013, 04:17 PM
WD-40, no joke, let it soak!

My wife takes medicine and gives me the empty containers, I use for holding small objects. The labels were always a PITA. Started using WD40 and it just comes off. Takes the goo right off. Clean bottle with detergent, rinse and dry--perfect. Works well on taking old double sided tape off clubs when re-gripping clubs.

Dan Cash
08-03-2013, 04:21 PM
WD-40. Say no more, it'll do the chore.

shooter93
08-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I use a lot of double sided tape to hold patterns for pattern routing when making furniture. Pull of what comes off and Acetone takes the rest right off. I'll assume you know how to use acetone.

slim1836
08-03-2013, 06:03 PM
I'll try the acetone as the WD-40 seems to be working , however, very slow.
Going to let it set overnight and see how it looks in the morning.
If no better will try the acetone, I think I still have a little.

Thanks for all the response.

Slim

dbosman
08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
The trick is to keep the remover on the tape. I use a strip of paper toweling over tapes to keep the citrus products in contact with the tape residue. Scraped and repeat as needed.

gbrown
08-03-2013, 07:55 PM
With WD 40, the key is getting to the stickum, goo or whatever you want to call it. The labels on the bottles I was referring to appear to be more than paper, or they have some kind of waterproof spray on them. I'll lightly scrape them (not the plastic bottle) to get to the paper and goo , then once the WD 40 gets underneath and gets to the goo (yes, this might take a while) the label comes off nicely. WD 40 works on all sorts of stuff. Last day of school I picked up my grandson (10). He had taken a magic marker so his friends could autograph his shirt. Well, they had done more than that, they had written on his arms, forehead and neck. He had a ball game that night, and I wasn't going to let him go looking like some wanna be gangsta. Went to work with an old rag and the WD 40, it came off in a flash. A little soap and water (alien to a 10 yo boy) and it was all good.

Swamp Man
08-03-2013, 08:29 PM
If you need to you can use PVC pipe clearer it will remove it. But never use it on plastic other then PVC it will melt lots of different types of plastics.

slim1836
08-03-2013, 09:17 PM
If you need to you can use PVC pipe clearer it will remove it. But never use it on plastic other then PVC it will melt lots of different types of plastics.
I may try that also as it seems that WD-40 isn't cutting it.

Thanks for the replies,

Slim