PDA

View Full Version : BSA Holo optics

Ohio Rusty
10-12-2007, 02:29 AM
I bought from Midway this morning one of the BSA Holographic sights they have on sale. Normally $99.00, on sale for $30.00. I think this is just the thing I've been looking for. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I have to change glasses more often now. I have been wanting to put one of those Hastings cantilever 12 gauge rifled barrels you mount a scope to on my Remington 1100. The gun is in need of repair, so I really haven't done much with it for several years since it has to be sent to Remington. With this holographic sight, I'm now charged up about buying the new barrel from Cabela's and getting the shotgun repaired. I think this would make a great deer gun again as the regular sights on the slug tube I just couldn't see well over them anymore. The holo sight you keep both eyes open. I do have a question if anyone knows. The sight ad says it has a 3, 5, 8, and a 10 MOA dot. I'm assuming these aere 4 different dots for 4 different ranges? All I need is one dot sighted in at 60 yards ....... Toys ... I love Toys !!
Ohio Rusty

Bret4207
10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
IIRC you choose the dot or image you like best and go from there. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out.

Wayne Smith
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I have one I bought several years ago, basically same deal. I have it mounted on my 1895 Styer. Haven't shot it beyond 50 yds yet. Friend of mine used his on his Mauser and then changed to a scope. Said he couldn't get 100 yd accuracy from the Holosight. I'll have to try 100 yds when I find an accurate load @ 50.

cattleskinner
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
The only experience I've had is with red dot sights, which is pretty much the same thing. Bret is right in that it doesn't make any difference which size reticle you choose, they should all be sighted in for the same point, it's just personal preference as to the size you like. Just remember that if you come closer from the 100yds. point, that the dot will cover a smaller area of your target, 10MOA@100, roughly 5MOA@50, 2.5MOA@ 25 etc.. I have a Millett 3MOA on my huntsman muzzleloader, and love how quick it is on target and as long as I hold steady have no trouble staying within 2 inches or less group out to 100yds. They're great for the ranges we find deer hunting in Ohio.

~Amos

Ohio Rusty
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
The woods are so thick, you can't see 100 yards thru them, let alone try to shoot that far thru the thick brush and trees. Here in Ohio, it's shotgun slugs only, no centerfire rifles for deer. Slugs have also come along way since the inception of the ribbed Foster Slug. (bowing in reverence) Rifled shotgun barrels are designed to shoot sabot'd slugs (slug in a plastic condom). That is where you get better accuracy with that type of barrel/projectile combo. One inch groups at 50 yards are the norm. My gun budget is shot for this year with Fuel oil needs, Meds, and Christmas coming on fast, but I'll get a start on my project in the spring. I know where Sycamore is Cattleskinner !! We go right by your little 'burg everytime we travel up to Castailia ....... For those not in Ohio ... Sycamore is a little bump with houses on it in the middle of a cornfield .... (BG)
Ohio Rusty

cattleskinner
10-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Walleye fishing? I've bummed around that area a bunch also, as I'm in the guard in McConnelsville, and went to school at Hocking college. Nice area, just wish that there were more jobs, deer hunting is top notch though if you have one leg shorter than the other:bigsmyl2:

~Amos

Bret4207
10-12-2007, 11:41 AM
I have one I bought several years ago, basically same deal. I have it mounted on my 1895 Styer. Haven't shot it beyond 50 yds yet. Friend of mine used his on his Mauser and then changed to a scope. Said he couldn't get 100 yd accuracy from the Holosight. I'll have to try 100 yds when I find an accurate load @ 50.

Wayne- NEI makes a .331-245 grain design that works GREAT in my 8X56R 95 Steyr. Might be listed as 330-245.

Here's a pic, it was the 330

Wayne Smith
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Wayne- NEI makes a .331-245 grain design that works GREAT in my 8X56R 95 Steyr. Might be listed as 330-245.

Here's a pic, it was the 330

Thanks, Brett. Does that take the 8mm GC or the .338 GC? (As if I had any money for another mold right now!)

gasboffer
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I recently bought a BSA red-dot sight from Walmart on a whim. Just around $30.00.
Put it on a TC pistol in .22 Hornet. Shot three times and an internal lens came loose.
BSA has great stuff!!!

Boz330
10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
1 MOA at 100yd is 1 inch that the dot will cover. I would think that the 3 min dot would be the best choice. The bigger ones are for the pistol shooters going fast at close ranges.

Bob

44man
10-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Put one on one of my guns----INSTANT TRASH! :mrgreen:

tomf52
10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I am now on my third (awaiting it's arrival) Platinum 36X scope from BSA. I don't think they know
how to secure the reticles in place in their scopes. Pure junk!

Also - Neigbor here bought 3X-9X BSA for his .22. There wasn't enough adjustment with the windage knob to bring the cosshairs on target. Another brand scope worked fine.

lovedogs
10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Have a friend who keeps buying cheap junk, also. He must have boxes full of BSA and other cheap brands by now. He keeps complaining and I keep reminding him that you usually get what you pay for. With all the money he has wasted on junk that doesn't work he could have bought some pretty good stuff. Guess it just takes longer for some to learn that lesson.

Ohio Rusty
10-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I looked at the EOTech holographic sights. The same one used by the military. Man o' man is that sight nice, but at $350.00 .... If I would have bought that EOtech ..... My wife would have cut *them* off and put *them* in a jar for me to admire .... Based on that premise, a $99.00 sight for $30.00 was much more attractive ...all the way around.
Ohio Rusty