PDA

View Full Version : bullets are dangerous

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-03-2013, 12:21 AM
This tale came up in a discussion with my Brother about shooting safety, I thought I'd share this memory with my cast boolits friends too.

I was shooting at a sportmans club many years ago. http://gophercampfire.com/ They have several shooting ranges. I was alone on the Rifle range, there were 3 pistol shooters about 100 yards away in the club's pistol pit, also 2 McLeod County Sheriff deputies were shooting pistols away from everyone else in the trap range.

A car races up to the locked gate and slams on the brakes, they obviously see the Deputies and go right over to them. After a short discussion, the deputies talked to the three pistol shooters...then came over and asked me a few questions. "What caliber was I shooting?" and "what target was I shooting at?" and "exactly what direction?" They also took my name and such. Then the deputies left with the visitor.

Three weeks later, at the next rifle League meeting that I attended, I got the rest of the story. The neighbor (about 3/4 of a mile away as the bullet flies) and his family was outside eating lunch at their picnic table, under a tree near their house. They heard strange noises in the tree, like bullets hitting leaves and branches. Of course, they also heard shooting. The shooting was normal to them, living near a fairly active sportsman club, and I was told that they didn't hate that. They had never had bullets wizzing through their tree, that they knew of, so they didn't really believe that's what it was at first, because the club had rules and backstops and is down below a bluff, they thought it must be something else...until they heard a window break, a bedroom window, the bullet (identified as a 9mm bullet) hit a pillow on the bed. Well, The neighbor came right over to the club to complain. He was excited to see law enforcement officers there. Well, you know the rest of the story, EXCEPT, the only shooters shooting a 9mm just prior to the neighbor coming to complain to the club that day, was the Deputies and the blame was put on a ricochet.

I won't tell the rest of the story here "Online", because it is speculation on the part of the club's board members as the Sheriff didn't/wouldn't go into detail on any more of the investigation. But IMHO, there is only one way for a 9mm Luger LE issue pistol to push a bullet up and over a fairly high bluff (about 150') and then 3/4 mile over a farm field...and ricochet ain't part of that.

Lights
08-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Nope 9mm ricochet is not going that far. They always want to blame the nearby gun club. I belong to one in Hudson WI and one in Lake Elmo MN. At the Hudson club, we had a lady call the Sheriff and say her house was hit by a bullet. The Sheriff went to here house which is over a mile away through some pretty heavy woods. She points out a complete unfired 30-06 round sitting next to her house to the Sheriff. The Sheriff told here next time you call me make sure to have a fired slug instead of a unfired cartridge to show me. At the Lake Elmo club which is bordered by Lake Elmo park. We had the Sheriff so up and say a round left the range and bounced off a mans chest in the park. Long story made short. After further investigation it was determined that the round came from some people shooting in a gravel pit across the street from our range. They had a good talk to the landowner about letting people shoot on his land when there is a perfectly good and safe range just a couple of hundred yards away for them to go to.

WILCO
08-03-2013, 01:29 AM
But IMHO, there is only one way for a 9mm Luger LE issue pistol to push a bullet up and over a fairly high bluff (about 150') and then 3/4 mile over a farm field...and ricochet ain't part of that.

One of those "Watch me nail this..." moments.

rush1886
08-03-2013, 08:00 AM
" also 2 McLeod County Sheriff deputies were shooting pistols away from everyone else in the trap range."

Prolly gettin' in a bit of clay bird practice. That'd certainly explain the slugs flyin' over the bluff.

41 mag fan
08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Amazing how a uniform puts you above and beyond reproach and any type of faults

bikerbeans
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Thing that bothers me the most is the deputies KNEW who fired the errant rounds but they act all legal on the nearest innocent folks. It is this same mentally that allows them to let other cops and fireman off the hook for DUI but one of the "public" will go straight to the can.

BB

Boyscout
08-03-2013, 10:34 AM
They were probably "questioning" the safe shooters in front of the adjacent, land owner to calm them down. Did the likely culprits (LEO's) cease their unsafe actions immediately?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-03-2013, 11:45 AM
No one was able to witness any allegedly unsafe actions by the LEO's, except themselves. The view from the pistol pit would have been blocked by the side berms. From my vantage, they were on the other side of a trap house. They obviously stopped shooting when approached by the neighbor. They never returned while I was there. I did stop shooting, because I was advised to. I hung around the range for a couple more hours, scrounging for brass and cleaning up the target areas of all the ranges with the 3 guys in the pistol pit.

The LEO's NOT returning bothered me more than anything. At the time, obviously I was told there was a complaint, I was extremely worried, that a possible stray bullet (J-word) from my 257R bolt action rifle could have been an issue...at the time of questioning, no evidence of bullet caliber was mentioned, just a, rightly so, upset neighbor heard bullets wiz through the trees and one broke a window. I could image one freak bullet ricochet ...but more than one? and Many ??? traveling that far into that same area is just not mathematically possible...but I was still worried...The LEO's should have come back to let us know the rest of the story.

montana_charlie
08-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Since they heard 'bullets in the trees' for a while before one (finally) went through a window ...

Lights
08-03-2013, 09:12 PM
" also 2 McLeod County Sheriff deputies were shooting pistols away from everyone else in the trap range."

Prolly gettin' in a bit of clay bird practice. That'd certainly explain the slugs flyin' over the bluff.

That would explain it and yes I could see a 9mm bullet making it that for then. Why the heck were the deputies even allowed to shoot pistols on the trap range? I would have confronted them the first shot I heard. But then again they probably would have made it into a who the hell are you deal.

Travtastik
08-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Was shooting skeet years about 15 years ago in a open field in my home town. Had a cop roll up and start question use if we had permission to be shooting there. After a few minutes he says I would like to give that a try. He asked if he could see one fly so we launched one, and this fool draws his G22 and pops 2 shots at it in the air. He shakes his head and says hell I tried then he headed to the car and told us to have a nice day.

The land owner was a LEO also so we let him know what had happened. He tracked the guy down and talked to him about it. He said the bullet in a 40 was so slow that it couldn't do any damage beyond about 30 yards. The idiot was fired a few weeks later trying to get a young girl to "work" off a ticket.