LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
ok i was casting some 9mm boolits this morning and had one of the
handle screws break off looks like there is just enough of the screw
in the handle & mold to hold the mold half on so leave as is or plug
hole up with JB weld ?

Dan Cash
08-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I would find a machine shop to extract the broken screw. Just enough to hold the mould block on the handle is not enough.

beefie
08-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd call the maker about having them do it. They have the experience and tools to do it right. Mold blocks are pretty soft iron, it would be difficult to drill out the broken end of the screw without damaging the blocks.

MattOrgan
08-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Don't JB Weld it, mold temps are high enough to cause problems with the epoxy and would create a bigger head ache when you decide to remove the other half. If the mold works and you don't need to switch handles leave I'd leave it alone. Just make sure the block on that side doesn't tip or wobble enough to cause alignment and possible wear problems. If we're mine, my OCD would make me remove the other half of the screw after I had cast enough bullets to get by for a while.
Any chance you want to reveal how that screw got broken? ;>)

Good luck.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2013, 07:07 PM
it just fell out when i was casting this morning it is the only set of lyman handles
that i have i have 4 lyman molds

Bzcraig
08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
i would find a machine shop to extract the broken screw. Just enough to hold the mould block on the handle is not enough.

ditto

freebullet
08-02-2013, 07:31 PM
If its under warranty call the mfg. If not use an easy out set after soaking it in penetrating oil.

Id replace the other screw also before it goes.

country gent
08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Tension may be relieve if the screw inst botomed out. If so a screwdrive and heavy hand tension may walk it out. A small chiesel that fits the hole losely may cut enough "slot to remove it also. It all depends on where the screw tightened up at under the head or on the threads. Alot of times when a screw breaks like this tension is off and it can be spun right out. Used to use a prick punch and 4 ounce ball peen at work to remove them.Got them out almost every time. a pin with a rubber pad glued to the end might get enouch grip also.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2013, 09:13 PM
ok i will try and walk it out thanks for all of the advice
Jim

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2013, 09:41 PM
looks like i will need to pick up a new set of handles that SOBin screw wont move
but thanks for the help
Jim

Iron Mike Golf
08-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Drill press, clamp, left hand twist drill bit (HF has them). Likely won't need an easy-out

rintinglen
08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
+1 ^ Harbor Freight has left hand drills, a 1/8" left hand drill, a center punch that fits in the hole, a few drops of Kroil and find someone who has a drill press if you don't, and in a very few seconds you'll be home free. Just turn the spindle by hand and chances are, that bolt will spin right out,

deltaenterprizes
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
PM sent