PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Press Box

ray h
08-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Can anyone tell me what type of box they shipped the Universal 12 port Turret in? I've found a guy who claims he has a wooden dove-tail box for a Universal. Been waiting for him to "dig it out". Is there marking's I should be looking for? Thanks for the help.

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Makes sense to me. That press in particular should be sent in a wood box. I can see where the factory would take great care.

I wish people would ship presses in wood boxes anyway. Few know how to pack a press or heavy loading equipment.
Of the 30 or so presses that I purchased online, at least 80% have arrived with part of it poking out the box scuffed up or damaged. And usually the box is is trashed. You can tell upon opening this is caused by inept packing, Not by rough handling of the carrier.

Good Luck with your find!

kd185
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
my P/W800C came to my door looking like it was kicked from Seattle to Connecticut, card board torn and packing peanuts blowing all over the place

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
my P/W800C came to my door looking like it was kicked from Seattle to Connecticut, card board torn and packing peanuts blowing all over the place
Packing peanuts!!!
What a joke!
That's what I'm talking about. People have no common sense. That is a 40 LB machine. Packing peanuts can't support that monster.
That's like dropping a bowling ball in a box of feathers and expecting it to get there with no harm.

I guess folks think once its in the box it just doesn't move.

seagiant
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi,
The MOST important thing is to mount it someway on a piece of plywood if nothing else and real bubble wrap to support it. I took delivery of a Star progressive one time and the cardboard box was ROUND and all the packing was newspaper! How it came thru ok is still a mystery???

Duckiller
08-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Call 1-818-842-8376 and talk to Margaret. Hollywood Engineering.

LUBEDUDE
08-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Now it can be done right with foam and a heavy box. Like how Dillon does it. From a mfg standpoint.

ray h
08-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Duck, thanks, I had Joe refinish an Alum. Universal several years ago. I should have thought to do that. Their shop sets beside a air strip, was really interesting to walk thru.

Chev. William
10-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Sad news, Hollywood Engineering suffered a Fire in the shop that took out the whole roof and dropped the results all over his machine tools and inventory. Joe received burns to his left forearm and right hand but is otherwise OK. The power for their house also came through the Shop Electric Service so they are still without power to the house. Joe is in the process of clearing the Shop to comply with L. A. City Building and Safety Orders and needs to get it done within 30 day limit or face fines. The machinery in the front part of the shop does not appear to have received more than cosmetic damage from firefighting water and smoke staining, with the plastics melted off, including the wire insulation of power drops to the equipment. The machines in the back shop did not fair as well, with evidence of heat effects starting about waist high and paint blistering or gone above that level. Aluminum Covers on some machines appear to have partially melted.

Tool chests seem to have protected their contents fairly well from what I saw when I visited there yesterday.The 'help' he has is not being discriminating as to what is trash and what is saveable.

I hope Joe will be able to save some of his machine tools and some of his inventory to use in rebuilding his shop in the future.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

LUBEDUDE
10-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I am really sorry to hear such bad news. If I were local, I would go by and buy all I could to help Hollywood Joe out.

ray h
10-19-2013, 08:08 PM
That is a shame. It was 5 years ago when I was there. Joe gave me a grand tour for about an hour. He was pulling out draws and explaining things. They had an interesting round table that swiveled and on it was a sample of each production press. At least thats what I recall Joe saying.

starmac
10-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't know what kind of box they originally came in, but it should be tough enough to be moved around with a forklift, I thought my old herters was heavy. lol

Chev. William
11-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Please see the update post on another "Hollywood Engineering" thread in this Forum for an update on Joe's progress.

According to Joe Mueller, the Presses were shipped in purpose built wood crates/boxes. If you call him he will tell you where he got them fabricated.

Best Regards,
Chev. William