PDA

View Full Version : What is the problem, here?

jpjames
08-02-2013, 04:30 AM
I just got a new bottom pour electric furnace. These boolits were my first try with it. Is my mix not hot enough?77962

Driver man
08-02-2013, 04:41 AM
moulds and mix I would heat up a bit more.

jpjames
08-02-2013, 04:56 AM
That's what I was thinking...I need to learn the temp settings on this thing! It goes from 2-9, and I was using it on the "5" setting...Maybe it's time to dig out my thermometer!

Texantothecore
08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Try the mix at 700 F and heat your mold more. You just about have it.

My experience is that the bigger the boolit the higher the heat. My .45-70s (405 grns) do very well with a hot mold and 700=725 F.

I would also recommend that you wear a glove on your right hand and try to time your cutting of the sprue so that it can be cut by hand rather than with a piece of wood. It made a big difference in my casting by keeping the mold hotter.

gray wolf
08-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Using the numbers on the dial of most pots is like throwing darts. Get out the thermometer and start casting about 100* above the full liquid temp. of the metal. Will most likely be about 650*
650 to 700* should cast most of our alloys. MOLD temp and casting speed are just as important.
IMHO casting without knowing the temp of the metal is not for the beginner, especially if it's a Lee pot.
Outside air is very influential being that the thermostat is not in the pot, but in the outside cabinet in back of the pot.
Hope that makes sense.

08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Pre-heat the mould to about 400-degrees.

Chances are good that the melt was hot enough, but 675 to 725-degrees is a very workable temperature range.

You will find that mould temperature and casting cadence is more important than melt temperature, and that a properly pre-heated mould will drop first cast keepers.

Victor N TN
08-02-2013, 11:35 AM
moulds and mix I would heat up a bit more.

My vote as well.

Foto Joe
08-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Although I don't have a lot of experience with this I'm in agreement that things just aren't hot enough. I start casting at around 700 and as the mold heats up the pot cools because I cut the sprue by hand over the pot. When everything stabilizes around 650 I'm rockin' and rollin'. Break out the thermometer until you get the numbers down pat.

john strain
08-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I agree /////

mdi
08-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Using the numbers on the dial of most pots is like throwing darts. Get out the thermometer and start casting about 100* above the full liquid temp. of the metal. Will most likely be about 650*
650 to 700* should cast most of our alloys. MOLD temp and casting speed are just as important.
IMHO casting without knowing the temp of the metal is not for the beginner, especially if it's a Lee pot.
Outside air is very influential being that the thermostat is not in the pot, but in the outside cabinet in back of the pot.
Hope that makes sense.
In addition to Wolf's excellent advise, make doubly sure the mold is super clean. All machine/manufacturing oil/residue must be removed from the mold (even what you can't see or feel). I don't think boiling water and dish soap would be over kill...

montana_charlie
08-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Is my mix not hot enough?

Maybe it's time to dig out my thermometer!
Sounds like you already have access to all of the information you need ... even without input from us.

CM