PDA

View Full Version : Trohpy Lead?

Taylor
10-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I came across some trophy parts, the statue's that go on top. They seem "heavy",are they lead? Anyone know? They also seem to be brittle. As of yet I have not made an attemt to melt them. So there is no other info at this time. Thought I might check here first, just in case I might be wasting my time. If someone know's the alloy of this stuff,please share. (Sorry guy's I know this is in the wrong place but don't know how to move it.)

RayinNH
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Taylor, in this day and age I can't imagine they would be lead. I would have guessed some kind of pot metal. In today's society, just mentioning lead, people wet their drawers in panic...Ray

imashooter2
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Could be pewter (read tin).

Pepe Ray
10-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Personally I would suspect Zink and treat it as such 'till I could proove otherwise.
Melt them down in a sacrificial container and see how it casts all by itself. This will give you many clues as to what it is.
Pepe Ray

Lloyd Smale
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
If there older id say theres a good chance its pewter if its newer id go with pepe s answer and guess zinc.

Wayne Smith
10-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd guess one of the pewter mixes as well. Zinc is light for size, tin is heavier for size.

Ricochet
10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Zinc will fizz and bubble vigorously if you put hydrochloric acid on it.

kellyj00
10-12-2007, 05:54 PM
it's brittania. about 93% tin, 5% antimony and 2% copper.
could be pewter, but I know they make trophys out of brittania in my parts...and I happen to know that they make oscars out of it too as I saw it on that "Made in America" show with John(?) Ratzenberger (you know, Cliff Claven from cheers.)

I think it would be great to mix with your alloy.... like solder, but better.