PDA

View Full Version : Picture of my Pedersoli Gibbs Target From Today's Test

oldracer
08-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Well, went to the range and it was close to ideal, except I forgot my modified Lead Sled which I like to use to take "me" out of the accuracy test. Anyways I used the previously noted method of wipe with wet then dry patch, load 80gr powder with full length funnel that goes into the patent breech area, load a fiber wad, wipe the barrel with a patch with some Mobile 1 then load the bullet. The bullet is a 540gr Buffalo Arms pointed commercially produced bullet with 3 grease grooves. Before firing the first load I fired 2 caps and got good puffs out the end of the barrel. Laid the rifle over slightly and tapped the breech area then set up on my cross sticks and fired. I used a standard 100 yard NRA 3 bulls eye target at 100 yards. First shot was 10 inches higher than last week so I moved the sight down 5 tic marks. Next short was an inch below the center. Fired off several more shots following the same procedure then let the barrel cool off as I was having trouble focusing on the front sight ring.

After a break I ran through 3 more short sets that are shown on the image below. Two shots on the left surprised me, then the 4 in the center and finally 3 slightly lower. All three sets were loaded the same and fire the same.

When I got home I used a drilled nipple and a small container and piece of tube from a Mighty Vac left over from my racing days and flushed the insides with hot soapy water, dried, and oiled slightly. I was thinking back 4 years ago and the fact that it took me nearly 6 months to get groups this close with my Rolling Block 45-70 and I seem to have reduced the time needed by a lot now day!

Boz330
08-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Not shabby at all as far as groups but was there wind or something to move the groups around like that. Could have been the barrel heating up or maybe cheek pressure change on the cross sticks.

Bob

John Boy
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Racer, Congratulations & Excellent Choice for a new ML. The Pedersoli Gibbs is the Go To rifle for the LRML's out to 1000 & 1200yd target matches. Very popular at Great Britain ML matches and the top winners have made some impressive scores with the rifle.
If you have a longer range to shoot at - give yours a try. You will be impressed!

oldracer
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
The barrel does get hot on the rifle very quickly, more so than any other black powder gun I have? The load is 80gr and I generally shoot that or slightly lower at 70gr if shooting off hand matches.

I did pull the barrel off last night when cleaning and found a spot that the barrel was contacting, pretty solidly too. So I used a piece of tube slightly smaller than the barrel diameter and sanded off the high spot. It was about 1/2 inch wide and about 1 1/2 inches long so now there is no pressure on the barrel from the fore end. I was resting the barrel on the cross sticks just in front of the fore end as I did with my cartridge guns so it might help to set the gun on the fore end and try that since in matches the hand supports the gun that way?

Yes, the wind would be dead calm for 10 or 15 minutes and then blow 12 to 15 knots for 15 or 20 minutes which is why the groups moved some. I was also having trouble getting my eye to focus well yesterday, not sure why except maybe just old age! I did not want to move inserts around until I see how the rifle is doing.

Boz330
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes, the wind would be dead calm for 10 or 15 minutes and then blow 12 to 15 knots for 15 or 20 minutes which is why the groups moved some. I was also having trouble getting my eye to focus well yesterday, not sure why except maybe just old age! I did not want to move inserts around until I see how the rifle is doing.

The age issue is my biggest problem as well. Sometimes opening the rear up and a larger insert helps, but not always. Light can be an issue as well even with everything open.
That much wind even at 100yd will move things around, and 80gr isn't a real fast load either, although at a 100 you don't need that much. I run 95gr and some of the guys are up as much as 115g. Keep an eye on that spot you sanded and see if it comes back. Probably it is just a matter of everything settling in.

Bob

ResearchPress
08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
If you're using a full length funnel right down to the breech, do make sure it doesn't get blocked. You may think you have loaded, but find that powder has been retained in the tube. Once you've cleared your 'misfire' and on reloading you may find multiple charges drop from the tube. Particular attention is required if shooting in rain.

Are you wiping to the breech after each shot? If so a common expedient is to return to the firing point after wiping and cap off, with the aim of clearing the flash hole. Another common method of loading is to load powder and seat wad, then wipe the bore (the wad being used to keep moisture from the powder) and finally seat the bullet.

David

newton
08-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I use that second method for loading while testing. After a shot I'll blow to see if nipple is clear, load powder, then wad, then wipe. Damp then dry.

I have also been told, and do, wipe after seating my boolit. Just once with a dry wipe. I use full size conicals, 515 grain, .50 cal. But my gun is a ole CVA. I bet that gun of yours would shoot much better than it once things are settled in.

ResearchPress
08-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Not sure what function wiping after seating the bullet would serve, except maybe push any residual residue down on top of the bullet. This may be detrimental if using paper patch bullets.

David

oldracer
08-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks you for the comments everyone. I do check the funnel and the powder measure on each load to make sure they are clean after pouring in the powder. With my Pedersoli Tryon, I had the funnel get plugged and was caught when I laid it on the bench and powder flew everywhere! In that case I blew out the barrel with my CO2 adapter and reloaded. Now I check each time.

So far I am wiping to the Patent breech with the large jag and do not clean the patent area until after. Cleaning both is on my list to do but since the flash hole is there I do not want to take a chance on plugging it.

Dave I appreciate your comments and your website was one of the first ones I found. As you probably know (or the NSA knows?) I have read most everything on there and it has been most helpful. Seems like posts do not come very fast on there though but the technical stuff is great!

ResearchPress
08-02-2013, 06:04 PM
My website forums don't get a lot of traffic, and they are rather focused on long range shooting so that limits audience. It's nice to see the growning interest and discussion here though on aspects of long range muzzle loading.

David

Fly
08-02-2013, 10:19 PM
oldracer David at rearchpress is the man on this kind of shooting.David is from England where this all started.
Check out his website.Those guy know there stuff.

Fly

1874Sharps
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Oldracer,

Congratulations on your Gibbs rifle! That is on my bucket list of guns to buy. Pedersoli makes a quality firearm and I think you will have alot of fun with yours. I have noticed over the years that the lighting conditions can make a difference in boolit impact. If you are shooting on a day with bright sunlight and then a cloud comes along it will shift the group. I had a hard time believing this when it was told to me years back until I experienced it shooting my Sharps with a vernier peep sight.

oldracer
08-03-2013, 12:11 AM
I have ordered one of Lee Shaver's long range tang sights with the adjustable eye cup for a couple reasons. First was the small hole to look through and second is the fact I have to pull the staff off as it will not lay flat. I might try drilling out the eye piece a thousands or two to see what happens next week until his gets here.

John Boy
08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I have noticed over the years that the lighting conditions can make a difference in boolit impact.

Here's a target as an example of what 74 Sharps is talking about and this is at 100yds. Stretch the distance out and the impact locations will be greater ...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Targets/PDRM2893.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Meadowmucker/media/Targets/PDRM2893.jpg.html)

oldracer
08-03-2013, 01:35 AM
I think this equates to the amount of light getting to the eye. When I started with my Sharps 4 or so years ago, Doug Knoell told me the light was important. So I wear plain glasses, no sun glasses at all. When between shots I do wear my calvary hat.

1874Sharps
08-03-2013, 12:24 PM
This is one of the things that to me makes shooting the old stuff fun and challenging. It also gives me an appreciation for the skills the shooters back in the day before telescopic sights had.

Fly
08-03-2013, 05:02 PM
This is one of the things that to me makes shooting the old stuff fun and challenging. It also gives me an appreciation for the skills the shooters back in the day before telescopic sights had.

I agree, it is the challenge of getting these ole guys shooting the best they can be.It seems to never stop.
But I guess we are all the same in our thinking or we would not do what we do.(Wink)
Fly